+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

I take issue with JP telling Osten that his tribe "adored him". I think they stuck with him hoping they could put his muscles to work. Just shows that the brain is the strongest organ. I hope he watches himself on TV and sees how his tribe mates are noticeably skinnier and then sees himself looking hale & hearty and feels at least a twinge of shame.

I think muscle guys really wimp out when put on crash diets. It was the big muscle guys who had the worst time in the Donner party. (You know, 49'ers trying to reach California, snowed in, etc.) It takes more calories to keep them going. Combine that with fear of any creepy crawly, open water, open sky = worst survivor ever. What a waste of time Osten turned out to be.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Survivor Loser of all time

I would have given anything to fish more, find food, live off the land a little more. That wasn't the case.
    Well...you DIDN'T give anything. Never once did you even TRY to fish, or anything of the like. Yeah, the case was you never tried to live off the land. Do you even know what the statement "living off the land" means?!!? Lillian even went fishing, albeit she didn't succeed, she TRIED, while you played coconut football.

They tried but they weren't successful. Ryan tried and Savage tried, our two best swimmers. I couldn't cuz I can't swim that well.
    Key words here.....T H E Y. You can sit there, literally sit there, and say.."I don't know how to swim too well, so someone else try"... lazybones. TRY and swim, hone some skills while you're out there..fish from shore, throw the net...something/anything!!! You chose not to, and we all saw.

As far as taking away from the game of Survivor, I've taken nothing. There's no epiphany that I had. Because I took this game seriously, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Was it tough? Sure, but I didn't learn anything.
    I knew before it started that surviving in the wilderness wasn't for me. It's not my element. I'm out of my element.

HA! Yes, bringing two hugeee bottles of booze and C.D.'S to an ISLAND is "knowing" what you were getting into alright. You were seriously the worse player of Survivor history. Of course you didn't learn anything Osten, because you already know all there is to know about life. Sorry to burst your lil safety bubble, but life is gonna only get tougher for you..better enjoy those frat parties while you still can. What IS your "element"?

Buh bye Osten. Too bad others had hope for you and kept you in the game longer than you should have been, cause it would have been GGGGGrrrrreeeaaaatttt to have seen you voted out. No excuse in the world can give you any reason to ruin the chances of other people to win the $$ who were more willing/wanting and in more need than you.

Glad you're gone. Deadweight.

You can get in line to kiss MY ass.
    Last edited by Maveno; 10-31-2003 at 03:25 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I'm thoroughly annoyed that this guy squandered an opportunity that thousands of people vie for. Why MB cast this idiot is beyond me.

Good riddance, Osten...

Maveno, I agree with every word you said!!

FORT Fan
    I can't agree more with the others on this board that have expressed their disrespect for Osten quitting the game. How many thousands of people tried to get on the show and couldn't, yet this guy throws in the towel so easily. I only wish that he had actually been voted off by his tribemates for not contributing anything to the challenges. It's kind of like when someone obviously lets someone else beat them at something so that they can appear superior to them.

Something another poster said on another thread got me thinking about the physical effects of a near-starvation diet on someone with very little body fat vs someone with lots of body fat. Does a muscle-bound guy like Osten feel a different kind of pain than someone who has lots of body fat stored up? Just wondering. Maybe someone in the medical field can add some insight. Maybe Osten really did feel sick and in pain in a way that no other survivor ever has, since he was probably the most physically fit contestant ever.

Not that I think that would give him an excuse. Indeed, I think it should have given him more reason to try harder at fishing and foraging for food. He gave up mentally after only 5 days on the show. He has no excuses. Just wondering about the body-fat thing, tho.

Osten was not the first guy on Survivor with muscles. He was the first guy with muscles to quit! Skinny ryan could have made it farther and probably could have done a heck of a lot better in the challenges.
    It really is a waste of time to try and rationalize Osten's actions (or non-actions). He is simply and idiotic wimp. He blames editing regarding how his personality came off. However, his interviews only reaffirmed everyone's thoughts and views.
    Thank goodness Jon is on the same tribe as Rupert! He would no doubt be hair, eyes, and bones by now!

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealGuy
    Not that I think that would give him an excuse. Indeed, I think it should have given him more reason to try harder at fishing and foraging for food. He gave up mentally after only 5 days on the show. He has no excuses. Just wondering about the body-fat thing, tho.
    Osten looked like he was 5 or 6% body fat when they were forced to abandon ship (the official start of the game). Osten should have started playing the game a month or so earlier then that- i am assuming he knows a little something about muscle and fitness (you dont get that big without becoming aware of how your body makes muscle)- so he should have been aware prior to starting the game that he would need to build up his fat storage- go to Mickey D's and live off 1/4 pounders for a few weeks- eat some Ben and Jerry's etc (a nice problem to have)... Osten should have realized what he needed to do to prepare his body prior to ever getting to that ship.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    Osten ... should have been aware prior to starting the game that he would need to build up his fat storage- go to Mickey D's and live off 1/4 pounders for a few weeks- eat some Ben and Jerry's etc (a nice problem to have)... Osten should have realized what he needed to do to prepare his body prior to ever getting to that ship.
    Exactly!
    Look at David Blaine (world's worst escape artist) who recently spent 44 days in a plastic box in London, England. He plumped himself up in preparation for more than 6 weeks of (presumably) nothing but water. He also lost 30 or so pounds by the end of it. Osten had the opportunity to hunt for food. But he is such a city boy that he has lost any bit of animal instinct. At one point in the challenge last week, the blonde girl had as much weight on her shoulders as Osten had before he pooped out.
    Ugh!
    I hope his homeys never let him live it down.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Osten is the wimpiest Survivor contestant who ever lived.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    City boy is so right....afraid of everything that lives from crabs to pelicans....and germs......and yet he signs up for 45 days in the swamp anyway......I'd add delusional to the chant.....