+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pelican tastes like chicken?

Leo
    Premium Member
    There hasn't been any animal-killing shown on any Survivor since the Outback, has it?

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I think I read somewhere....probably in a biography of some South Seas explorer....that most tropical birds taste rather bad....kind of oily....and that had they cooked up one it would probably have been the last....My memory is fuzzy on this....but I dont recall that pelican is a delicacy anywhere....

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    There hasn't been any animal-killing shown on any Survivor since the Outback, has it?
    In S5, Jake killed one of the chickens. I remember Jan crying and shaking about it.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Shame they didn't tell Christa and Rupert not to eat pelican before they kiled the poor thing.

There is no way Osten would have killed that bird.
    I agree, I think it was pitiful that the Producers did'nt step in and stop them from killing the Pelican, escpecially since it was a known fact by the Producers that Pelican meat is dangerous to eat. Do we know for sure if this incident happened?

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    In S5, Jake killed one of the chickens. I remember Jan crying and shaking about it.
    Yeah, I remember that. I hate when they give out chickens for a reward. Then we have to see them kill it...

I agree, I think it was pitiful that the Producers did'nt step in and stop them from killing the Pelican, escpecially since it was a known fact by the Producers that Pelican meat is dangerous to eat. Do we know for sure if this incident happened?
    I don't know Roz.
    I haven't done a whole lot of reading up on this season's Survivor, so I'm just going by what is said in this thread.

If it is true then I think it's disgusting.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yes, the incident was in a magazine that I was reading at the dentist (my profuse apologies that I don't remember which one). Apparently one of the cameramen informed the producers that the castaways had just killed a pelican. The producers then informed them that they couldn't eat the bird because of internal parasites. So, the producers didn't hear about it in time to stop them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Premium Member
    Thanks Star and Fluff, I am an animal lover at heart(I am a little hypocritcal though, on the rare occasion I will prepare myself a chicken parm over a bed of linguini in a red gravy) but, that being said, I would have imagined that the parasite issue with pelican's, may have been one of the things the producers may have told the folks before they were stranded. I know from past Survivors, they were sort of schooled on local environmental regulations and survival skills relative to their location. I agree with you Fluff, this situation is disgusting.

I'm so soppy, but this makes me sad.

The Survivor's go there to the pelican's turf and kill it.
    I think that's very sad.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm so soppy, but this makes me sad.

The Survivor's go there to the pelican's turf and kill it.
    I think that's very sad.
    I agree Fluff, it was pointless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast