+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making fire using hair

I think hair burns so quickly that it wouldn't be very good for starting a woodfire unless you had enormous quantities of it. It's like a flash burn, you'd have to have something extremely ignitable above it, so why not just start with some good straw-like kindling anyway and skip the hair?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I think hair burns so quickly that it wouldn't be very good for starting a woodfire unless you had enormous quantities of it.
    You don't just use hair, it's just to help get the other stuff burning faster. You have stuff like straw or dried leaves or whatever you can get, but you have hair there to speed up the process. Instead of taking one or two days to get a fire started (as it sometimes does), you might be able to do it in minutes. The point is to get the fire going as quickly as possible so you can move on to other things and stop wasting your time and energy.

It's like a flash burn, you'd have to have something extremely ignitable above it, so why not just start with some good straw-like kindling anyway and skip the hair?
    You want something that will start the fire as fast as possible. The straw, or whatever is in your camp, may take a long time to to catch on fire, so that's what the hair is for. The hair starts to burn, then the straw starts to burn (if you do it right). Without the hair, it will take a lot longer and who wants to spend multiple hours or days just trying to get a fire started? The faster you have fire, the faster you'll have drinkable water and a way to cook food.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

I think hair burns so quickly that it wouldn't be very good for starting a woodfire unless you had enormous quantities of it. It's like a flash burn, you'd have to have something extremely ignitable above it, so why not just start with some good straw-like kindling anyway and skip the hair?

As a former smoker with long hair, I know all about catching it on fire. I have to say I agree here. It goes up like flash paper. Not sure if it would even keep a spark long enough to get straw burning.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    As a former smoker with long hair, I know all about catching it on fire. I have to say I agree here. It goes up like flash paper. Not sure if it would even keep a spark long enough to get straw burning.

As a Beautician, i`ll have to agree with stargazer on this one.

Besides the smell, I wouldn`t care so much about a bad smell, trying to win a million $. I would do what works, for the month, I was there. If hair worked, I`d do it.

But a good chunk of burning hair, goes up in such a flash, it wouldn`t be worth it to the georgeous women who signed up, and want a better job, or some publicity, for money!! Not to mention *PLAYBOY

So, even if there`s this knowledge. No woman would be very smart to do it, and risk themselves, getting ugly in front of America, and Canada. For something that`s ineffective. Have you ever seen what Burnt hair ends up looking like?? It`s not a pretty sight. :nono Don`t do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jillibean
    No woman would be very smart to do it, and risk themselves, getting ugly in front of America, and Canada. For something that`s ineffective. Have you ever seen what Burnt hair ends up looking like??
    If the show I saw was right, you don't need a whole lot of hair and there is no law that says it has to be from a woman. Many men have long hair and some might even want to cut it short or go bald while they are there, so no problem.

I don't know what you mean about what burnt hair looks like. You cut it off before you use it, so who cares what it looks like? If it might get a fire going as quickly as possible, it might be worth a try.

Maybe some person who cuts hair can take some of that hair on a camping trip and try this tip to see if it really works. They could try it once with just dried leaves or whatever and try it again with hair and dried leaves (or whatever they used) and see if there is any difference in how fast they can get a fire started.

I don't live in an area where I can try it and I can't picture myself on my knees for hours trying both experiments anyway, so I can't do it. Any scouts out there can feel free to try it out and let us know if hair really helped to catch the dried leaves (or whatever) on fire faster than normal. I have no personal proof that it works, but no one has proof that it doesn't work unless they actually go out and try it. Of course, you have to do it right and if you don't know about the various techniques they have used on survivor and beyond, you won't know what you are doing.

I don't care if anyone does it though. It's just a tip I saw on TV and if someone wants to try it to see it it cuts out hours of work, that's great, but if not, I don't care. It's not like I thought it up and own stock in the idea.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Terrain
    If the show I saw was right, you don't need a whole lot of hair and there is no law that says it has to be from a woman. Many men have long hair and some might even want to cut it short or go bald while they are there, so no problem.

I don't know what you mean about what burnt hair looks like. You cut it off before you use it, so who cares what it looks like? If it might get a fire going as quickly as possible, it might be worth a try.

Maybe some person who cuts hair can take some of that hair on a camping trip and try this tip to see if it really works. They could try it once with just dried leaves or whatever and try it again with hair and dried leaves (or whatever they used) and see if there is any difference in how fast they can get a fire started.

I don't live in an area where I can try it and I can't picture myself on my knees for hours trying both experiments anyway, so I can't do it. Any scouts out there can feel free to try it out and let us know if hair really helped to catch the dried leaves (or whatever) on fire faster than normal. I have no personal proof that it works, but no one has proof that it doesn't work unless they actually go out and try it. Of course, you have to do it right and if you don't know about the various techniques they have used on survivor and beyond, you won't know what you are doing.

I don't care if anyone does it though. It's just a tip I saw on TV and if someone wants to try it to see it it cuts out hours of work, that's great, but if not, I don't care. It's not like I thought it up and own stock in the idea.

All I`m saying is that it wouldn`t be: Worth it to burn your hair, that`s all! If a guy wants to waste his time, and try it. I`d suggest he cut it first. and why in the world would you be sitting there on Survivor, cutting your hair with a knife, to throw in the fire, for it to burn so-o fast, the wood wouldn`t have enough time to catch.

Or else, they could just bend their head over the fire, and see if that`s a faster way of doing it. Then again. I`d just shave some wood or put dry kindling, dry grass?, in there first. Get a spark with a magnifying glass, then it catches and burns...

Again, I say: DON`T DO IT, I know about the subject of hair!! Jillibean
    Last edited by Jillibean; 11-16-2003 at 02:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12