+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is throwing an IC pre-merge ever a good strategy?

Hug me!
    when a team gets too cocky and start to throw a immunity challenge.. they deserve to LOSE.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheela
    Leo, Morgan doesn't have a B team, their whole team plays in every challenge. Both teams have 3 strong males. If Drake sits out one of theirs, they're at a physical disadvantage.

Next episode Drake will sit 6 players out : 3 for RC + 3 for IC. Theoretically, if they win the next IC, the following week they would have to sit 8 players out ? Rupert will have to sit out the RC or the IC. Of course, I understand this may never come to pass.
    I could have stated my point better there - what I was trying to say was that because Drake's members outside of their 3 strong males are better than their Morgan counterparts, Drake could probably get away with sitting one of their strong males for a challenge and still win. You're right, though, it does get very dicey if it gets to having to sit down 4 people for each challenge.

jmo:

Winning the IC would help the weakest members of Drake because:
    - It would keep them from being booted (to state the obvious).

Losing the IC, OTOH, would help the strongest members of Drake because:
    - It would allow them to get rid of a weak/divisive member.
    - It would reduce the need for MB's interference in a winning streak. Since MB's goal is to even the score, his twist would presumably favor Morgan.
    - TC would give the strong Drakes a chance to test their alliances pre-merge at a time when their risk of being booted is relatively low.

it doesn't hurt to lose- It makes one better and sharper putting everything in a different perspective. If someone who is as obnoxious as Jon- I would purposely lose just to get rid of someone like that to get them out of my hair I don't have to listen to that idiot ever again
    Carey

FORT Newbie
    Hmmm ... I certainly would not throw away an IC. Drake members must think long term and should not be led by their emotions. So what if Jon or Sandra is a little annoying at the moment. Winning the challenges is still of utmost importance. A full team would mean that they have the advantage of having stand-by members to play the challenges should any of their strong members gets injured. Morgan now basically can only rely on 3 members - Andrew, Ryan O and Osten. Tijuana and Darrah are equal to the weakest members of Drake. If Drake manages to win all the ICs before the merge, they can still eliminate the annoying members after the merge. Drake members should also be thinking of forming strong alliances at this point. Throwing away an IC now is definitely the wrong way to play the game.

Premium Member
    Under no circumstances should you ever throw a challenge. If somebody is just that despicable that they must go, they will go...eventually, don't try and make it happen.. It will happen all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    What if you throw the challenge and he doesn't like that you did it and throws favor to Morgan for awhile?
    Stargazer, that's a good point. If Drake throws a challenge and then are punished for their arrogance, it would make great television. That's just the sort of thing MB would love.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Always bring the reviled as far as possible to improve your chances.
    I completely agree.

I think that many of the post-ers missed sheela's point. What's at issue isn't whether or not one *should* throw the IC, but whether it is *ever* worth it to throw an IC. And, if so, under what conditions would it be worth it to throw an IC? (Mind you, the question of why they should not throw an IC is an interesting one, too. )

sheela, I think that your posts have been well-written and insightful. I especially appreciate the perspective that the Survivors are not just playing against each other but also MB, and that he might stir things up to make for good TV.

Just to add to this brainstorming, what if--given that the Drakes know exactly whom they're voting out--they throw the challenge in exchange for some prize. MB, in an unprecedented twist, would have to offer them the choice of another team's castaway in exchange for one of their own. In order to pick the new castaway, the tribe must sacrifice one of their members. And the only way to get rid of a player is to vote him or her off at TC.

Far-fetched, yes. I'll think about it more...

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    I'm not sure whether or not it's true in this case, but conceivably the dominant members of a tribe might want to throw a challenge to lower the number of weaker/outcast members who would likely form an alliance with the weaker tribe at the merge.

Thanks, Shayla. You explained it so much better than I did or could.

I don't think your twist was far-fetched at all. I wish MB would take your suggestion of making it an even exchange of players. The more I think about this, the more I like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123