+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Standing in the Shadows - week 8 A collaboration

Standing in the Shadows - week 8 A collaboration

Cool , calm, collected Clay.

In this episode Clay showed us how he can play under the radar. While everyone was at the campfire bemoaning how Shii Ann might be gone, he just went along and agreed with the crowd. If they had any alliance talk when he was being tour guide, the rest of Chewy gum wouldn't have found that out. He let Penny try and butter him up, but to him, her butter is clarified and he saw right through her little recipe of deceit. His ultimate test of calm in the storm was having to listen to the pre-death eulogy of Lucky the chicken instead of jumping up, grabbing the bird and showing them his version of "Farm Twister". The strain of all this did show when he kissed Helen thinking that he was kissing the chicken, thanking the bird for being so tasty. If he plays it well, he should stick around for a couple of Chewy gum TC's.

Best move of the game: being able to still recognize bullsh*t from Penny after 24 days on the rock.

Worst move of the game Giving Helen a peck, showed the rest of the tribe that he may have a chink in the armour that they can use.

Brian Heidik- Move over Wilbur, there's a new pig in town

Fortunately (now that Lucky is gone), if the tribes get hungry, they can take out Brian and feast on pork chops and bacon for survival. Brian, what were you thinking? Your chauvinistic comments are not funny, and are getting really old. I would expect that from Clay, but I expect more from you. With the arrogance displayed last week, you can hardly afford to alienate any more fans. You'd better hope that one of the guys doesn't decide to share your nasty little secret with the gals on the tribe. No, not that sex secret, the sexist secret.

Worst move

Abandoning your earlier technique of keeping quiet and observing others. Go back to keeping it under wraps buddy and you'll go far.

Best move

Good job keeping the cards close to your chest while out with Jake on the fishing excursion. Your alliance with Ted is still under wraps as it appears that Jake and Ken think that you and Clay are tight. Your best job of the night was in the Immunity Challenge! You pulled it out for the Chewing Gums again! They are really lucky to have someone so talented at maintaining a nice lip-locked seal around a bamboo pipe.

Ted

Well, our pal Ted spent most of this episode laying in the sand. Sure, he got up once to go write his name on the cave wall, and the rules of the game required him to actually attend the Immunity Challenge. But the rest of the time he was either sitting and staring at the ocean or doing situps or pushups or just laying there watching Clay gawk at those dangly thingies on Erin's hip.

Best move
    Not buying off on Penny's happy workout queen schtick. When she interrupted him from his morning communion with his family, he played along perfectly. "Oh, yeah, you bet! Yoga in the morning, then a few brisk sprints around the island? Sure! Finish the day off by hittin' the ol' speed bag? Definitely! OK, super. Sounds great. See ya!" And then...the look. The rolling eyes, "what was that all about?" look that told everyone watching at home that Penny is so outta here if these guys ever merge.

Worst move
    He didn't do anything to adversely affect his standing in the game, but Ted, my man, couldn't you take the bridle off that hoss somewhere other than the cave entrance? There are trees everywhere, and nobody sleeps under 'em. You've obviously conserved your strength. Would it kill you to walk the extra two feet to deliver your shipment? Sheesh.

Jake

Aghhhh..Jake had so much face time, that I thought he was a goner this week. Good thing that didn't happen since he's one of my favorites! Jake has shown once again why he is the true leader of SJ. Of course, he's more subtle that Ken. His kind-hearted sincere demeanor has won the friendship of most of the CG's. This has allowed him to be a sort of Undercover Cowboy. He's trying to infilitrate the CG tribe to get useful information that would be advantageous to SJ. He's played ball with Mr. Grind, Ted. Killed a chicken with Crazy Jan. Listened to Helen's Yakity Yak Recipes. Well, that one wasn't by choice. Tired of listening to Helen's 24 hour Cooking Channel show, he went fishing with King Brian. He hasn't been able to get much info from CG, but should keep at it until one of them cracks. My guess is that Jake will have Jan singing like a canary in no time. Jake was great at the IC, even though his tribe lost. He shouldn't be so hard on himself. It's not his fault that the rest of his tribe thinks he's Mr. Atlas, and left all the weight of the challenge on his shoulders. At least Erin comforted Jake with her heartfelt speech. During their last Pow Wow for the Final 4 SJ's, sneaky Penny, thinking it might be her last night, tries to get a final flirt with Ken by suggesting all 4 of them sleep together. Jake seems a little shocked at first. Finally remembering his younger, wilder days, he blurts out, ''that sounds almost erotic''. Of course he was trying to lighten the mood, but the other's didn't seem to get it. Oh well...Better luck next time, Jake!

Best Move: Jake smoked the SJ whipper-snappers during the Bamboo Snorkel IC. His team lost but he showed that the can compete with the best of them. He's devised a plan to pick the brains of the CG's, in order to get info useful to SJ. It's also very possible that he might be able to secure an alliance with one of the CG's. No sireee! Jake is not going down with a fight!

Bad Move:
    I didn't really see any bad moves again. Maybe, I'm biased since he is one of my favorites.

My Advice to Jake:
    I'm grateful you thanked the bird and all, but I don't really want to see a big production. It seemed like I was watching a dramatic broadway show: "The Killing of Lucky, the chicken". Tone it down a bit. The others might think you're as looney as Jan. Try to get info from Jan, since Brian will be a hard one to crack. Be very cautious of Brian, because he's knows how to play the game and might get you all tangled up in his web. Go Undercover Cowboy!

Ken

Ken revealed his tender side this week. When his tribe suffered another IC loss, he managed to share a little emotion with us. “I kind of laugh to myself ‘cause this is a game and I’m fighting back tears?!? I used to compare this to Monopoly. This is nothing like Monopoly. This is amazing.” (Awwwwwwwwwe…Mr. policeman is just a big softy after all.) His usual bear hug from a bouncing female has been replaced with sentimental group hugs. His strong relationship with Jake was explored a little further this week. Will it be enough to carry him through? We are all aquiver with anticipation. Good moves: He didn’t turn his disgust with CG’s urination habits into a major drama. Bad moves: Even if he didn’t use the makeshift snorkel at all, he should have been able to hold his breath a little longer for the team.

Magilla

Yet again this week Magilla got his fill of the camp rations.
    Still tree bound and distant, his thieving antics were met by shoulder shrugs all round, they love you big guy.

Best move.
    Often seen with a companion last week, we'll assume she's "Mrs Magilla" and congratulate you on being the only Survivor to get any love action.

Worst move.
    Stealing a few noodles is one thing, going for the banana basket could get you a whole lot of banana cop Ken on your tail. Helen threatened to kill you, but hey, that's just Helen.
    I'm not convinced the suspicious "pools" in the cave entrance aren't your work either.

Penny

This week Penny was playing major damage control; she’s walking on eggshells. While they were all talking about Penny, Clay and Jan they were competing for the worst southern accent. In the immunity challenge she came up at 9 seconds. Gee Girl, work a little harder! Back at camp Clay said he thinks Penny is trying to play all the guys with her cuteness and her sweetness. At tribal council she voted for Erin and when she was leaving it was like “Oh I’m so sorry you have to go”. HELLO YOU VOTED FOR HER.

Jan Gentry- Starring in the remake of Stephen King's "Payut Semetary"

Jan continued to provide plenty of fodder for discussion this week. At one point, several members of both tribes were in the water together, and we see EvilPenny helping Jan wipe some sand off her face (Of course, it probably took a little longer than expected, since the sand had probably fallen into one of the many crevices in Jan's wrinkly face, but I digress...). I don't know if it was some sort of optical illusion or what, but at one point they were facing each other, and it looked like Jan was what Penny would look like in about 30-40 years.

Pippi Saggyass continued her campaign to be the poster child for PETA this week when she nearly went into convulsions and seizures while Jake killed Lucky the Chicken. Granted, maybe Jake shouldn't have killed Lucky right there in front of everybody, but Jan, honey, if you're going to have such a violent reaction to what Jake was doing, why did you volunteer to hold Lucky's feet in the first place? I swear, I nearly expected you to go into convulsions yourself! And if that wasn't bad enough, Jan asked for Lucky's head and feet so that she could go bury them next to Oliver, the baby bayut she had buried in a previous episode (Thank God Shii-Ann was gone, or those probably would have been eaten, and Jan wouldn't have had anything to bury.). Jan dug a little grave for Lucky, fashioned a cross for him out of sticks and proclaimed through her sobs that she put Lucky next to Oliver "so they could be together in hayvun." I swear, all that was missing was a euology and a rousing rendition of "Peace in the Valley" or "Just a Closer Walk With Thee".

Best move: Pippi held her own in the Immunity Challenge, lasting longer than some of the Soup Guy whippersnappers.

Worst move: Jan really didn't have a worst move this week, although her asking for Lucky's head and neck so that she could bury them continued to perpetuate the idea that she's bordering on "nutcase" status.

Prediction: Jan needs to hope that she can make it to the merge (whenever that is). If she can get that far, she might not be perceived as a threat and could actually last a few weeks. If, however, the Chewing Gums go to Tribal Council again as a tribe, she might be the first of the remaining CG's to go.

Helen

Ah, Helen...The "Rain Man" of recipes, the Bubba of food. While the tribe slowly starves to death on rice noodles and mushy bananas, Helen spends the entire day regaling her mates with things they COULD have eaten, if only they were in civilization and had a pen to jot down the recpie. Is she employing a clever new strategy? Trying to make all of her tribemates so hungry they can't concentrate on challenges? We may never know. To get back at Helen, the tribe sits her out of a challenge made specially for her, the Navy Swim Instructor. Hold your breath underwater..."Wait, if we're under water, we can't HEAR Helen spout her famous raisin walnut crepe recipe, let's DO it!" Heck, I almost want to take part in the challenge myself, just for a few seconds of blissful silence. Who knows, maybe Magilla can become her sous chef, and together they can get the tribe fat and happy.

Erin
    Even this week, we didn't see much of Erin, but we got a tiny glimpse into the person she might be, if only Mark Burnett hadn't dropped her like a pair of hot potatoes when he realized she was actually intelligent. She consoled Jake when he felt the weight of losing the challenge, even though Jake lasted longer than everyone else on his tribe. But, here's a foreshadow of things to come - when the whole tribe is sitting together, discussing the upcoming Tribal Council vote, and they ask each other if they'd like to know if they were about to be voted off. Jake says "Yep, I'd like to know", Ken says "Yep, I'd like to know", Penny says "Yep, I'd like to know", Erin says "No, I don't think I'd like to know", and then they don't tell you. That's a clue... Erin, we feel like we never knew 96% of you, and we'll miss you.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this article.
    Last edited by fluff; 11-11-2002 at 05:02 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    Super work everyone! Great job.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I love Jake's characterization as "Undercover Cowboy".

Nicely done, folks!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Thanks everyone! I always enjoy this thread.

Okay, who got to pick up Magilla? Someone's other subject got voted off, right?

Re: Standing in the Shadows - week 8 A collaboration

Originally posted by fluff
    Jan Gentry- Starring in the remake of Stephen King's "Payut Semetary"
    LOL...my favorite line of the whole post.

"George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

That was Lobeck's work so credit to him for that

Thanks to everyone for their contributions again this week.

The article is, as ever, a great read.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I try not to read anyone's stuff until it's compiled and posted here, and it's always worth the wait. Y'all are awesome.

Princess
    Great writing, guys, and some new quite interesting observations!

Yep, I always get a kick out of the recaps. We have some awesome writers on this board! Very funny!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Excellent shadows, guys!
    I really liked Helen as the Bubba of Food. Jan's shadow was pretty hilarious, too. Good think Shii-Ann was gone or she would've eaten Lucky's head and feet. Jan would've absolutley gone bayatty without anything to bury.

+ Reply to Thread