+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Body doubles??

FORT Newbie

Body doubles??

The following is a story by Reuters about Bravo's show, "The Reality of Reality." There is a reference to body doubles used in Survivor. Anyone know what they are talking about?

----

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - How much did Fox and its producers know about the child of "Temptation Island (news - Y! TV)" contestants Ytossie Patterson and Taheed Watson, and when did they know it?

Did they, as the couple claimed, simply ignore the information for four months in order to hype the series? The question is raised but not answered in a five-part examination of the reality series genre.

That's all right, though. With or without a smoking gun to show that producers played fast and loose with the truth on "Temptation Island," there's still a lot here to demonstrate beyond anyone's reasonable doubt that reality shows are as close to reality as jungle gyms are to jungles.

That's pretty much the point of the first part, "How Real Is Real?" The answer, in a nutshell, is "not very." For example, there's the "High School Reunion" show on the WB Network that tapped alumni from three different graduating classes but never told viewers about its mix-and-match strategy. Or the UPN "Manhunt" series that did retakes of its Hawaiian contest, only substituting Los Angeles' scenic Griffith Park the second time around.

Then there were the body doubles used by CBS' "Survivor," the houses that didn't really belong to the families on NBC's "Meet My Folks," the phony information fed to Fox's "Joe Millionaire" contestants and on and on.

One producer explains it all very neatly: Reality is just too boring, he says. It has to be "assisted," which is done by clever casting, controlling the environment and oh-so-selective editing. Maybe it's a sign of pervasive public cynicism with the media, but one survey cited in the show says most of the public suspects that it is being fed stuff not fit for "Fear Factor" candidates but quite willingly swallows it with nary a burp of protest. Scary, huh?

Another episode takes a look at the "stars" of reality and how many of them try to stretch their 15 minutes of fame into something remotely resembling a career -- with only a few succeeding. There are also a few helpful hints for being selected, including being as obnoxious as you can.

Other episodes go behind the scenes, overseas and into the archives to trace reality's roots from the earliest days of television.

Writer-producer Anthony Storm gets a little breathless at times, especially during precommercial teases, but generally does a fine job or organizing the material and finding appropriate video. The narration is smoothly handled by Kyle MacLachlan (news).

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

----------

I heard that last year. It's my understanding that the body doubles are not used for anything that would have bearing on the outcome... just for some far shots of "tribes" walking/rowing to TC etc.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

When Mark Burnett wanted to re-capture a scene after the fact, he would use body doubles to re-create it for the cameras. It obviously didn't effect the game in any way, but some people felt misled - I'm not sure why...

The clip that was shown when they were discussing this on the Reality of Reality show was from Australia Outback. The teams were swimming with their crates and they were saying that they recreated it with body doubles so that the shots would look better when they did ariel shots as well as the underwater (Jaws type) shots.

Body Doubles

I remember reading about that "body double" issue last year, and it didn't seem like that big a deal to me. The doubles were used in situations where the producers wanted dramatic arial shots of challenges, or as the above poster said, underwater shots. The Bravo show "The Reality of Reality TV" made it clear that the use of the doubles was only after a challenge had been won, and had no impact on the outcome of any challenge. That, I didn't mind. The thing that was a little wierd, though, was Stacy Stillman (Survivor 1) and her claim that Mark Burnett told two of her teammates that the upcoming challenges would be physical, and that it might be a good idea to vote Stacy off. CBS denied it, of course, as did the other S1 contestants, but CBS is also suing Stacy Stillman for a $5 million breach-of-confidentiality contract, so maybe the others are scared to speak out?
    Et in Arcadia Ego

Premium Member
    Why would you need a body double for a reality show??? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of calling it reality??

Reality TV is not reality, see one of the thousands of explanations of that here on this site alone.

But having said that, it's a little hard to do a challenge with a helicopter hovering 50 feet above you to get a good camera shot. So, it makes sense that in some cases, they would re-create the challenge for the benefit of a good camera shot.

It's nothing sinister or mysterious...I don't see why it's a big deal.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Reality TV is not reality, see one of the thousands of explanations of that here on this site alone.

But having said that, it's a little hard to do a challenge with a helicopter hovering 50 feet above you to get a good camera shot. So, it makes sense that in some cases, they would re-create the challenge for the benefit of a good camera shot.

It's nothing sinister or mysterious...I don't see why it's a big deal.
    I whole heartedly agree that the producers minipulation of this show (This is the only reality show I watch) does indeed take away from the "Reality", the whole idea of portraying people in certain ways via the miracle of editing is par for the course here, that allows us as viewers to root for/against someone, that is fine. What I don't get is the cinematography perfection they feel they must strive for. I thought the whole idea was to present reality with all of its "warts" and such. To me, it is the best show on TV regardless if they use body doubles or not... But why??
    Last edited by Roz_City; 09-09-2003 at 08:19 PM.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    I whole heartedly agree that the producers minipulation of this show (This is the only reality show I watch) does indeed take away from the "Reality", the whole idea of portraying people in certain ways via the miracle of editing is par for the course here, that allows us as viewers to root for/against someone, that is fine. What I don't get is the cinematography perfection they feel they must strive for. I thought the whole idea was to present reality with all of its "warts" and such. To me, it is the best show on TV regardless if they use body doubles or not... But why??
    You have to remember that it is still a TV show, and they are trying to appeal to viewers and sponsors. Making it look better is all part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I heard that last year. It's my understanding that the body doubles are not used for anything that would have bearing on the outcome... just for some far shots of "tribes" walking/rowing to TC etc.
    Ahhhh... okay...

+ Reply to Thread