+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Survivor take on cast members that are already wealthy ?

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I think it's fair, because shouldn't everyone be eligible to play? They shouldn't discriminate against somebody just because the amount of money they make. If he wins, than he deserves the moolah by all means.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    I don't care what they do when they get on the show. I mean, honestly, if the "poor" contestants have a problem with the "rich" ones, let them vote them off. That's that the game is all about.

Hell, if you can spend 30 plus days on an island sitting in your own filth and sleeping with the insects, more power to ya. You deserve to win no matter what your social circumstances are.

Since when is there a financial bar to meet in the screening criteria? I say go for the 16 best qualified applicants, and I fail to see how income has anything to do with that.

Personally, I would rather have a rich self made millionaire on the show, as they are more likely to stick with it after suffering a setback, as opposed to packing it in, and whining for two days because you lost out on a can of coke.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    So Foggy, where do you suggest the income limit be imposed? 100K, 50K, 20K, welfare recipients only? At what level do people stop deserving to win the million dollars? And at what point do the wealthy stop working hard for their money? Perhaps all rich people should be banned from Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Price is Right, too. Why should they be allowed to win ANY money?

While we're at it, maybe reality shows should be more discriminating in other ways, too. No thin people should be allowed on Survivor, because they don't "need" to lose any weight, and all castaways always lose weight. No one who has ever traveled outside of the USA should be permitted, because they don't "deserve" and all-expense paid trip. Only people who haven't traveled before should be able to go. Are you beginning to see how ridiculous this argument could be??

Perhaps a wealthy contestant doesn't need the money as much as the others, but isn't he/she entitled to a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, a one of a kind test of his/her personal strength and fortitude, and opportunity to meet and bond with a bunch of people from all walks of life?

Finally, discriminating on income or net wealth alone is absurd. You have no idea what kind of expenses a person might encounter, beyond what limited view you have in Miami and with your inheritances. My husband makes a good, not great salary, and by all outward appearances we have a comfortable life. Maybe we wouldn't qualify for Survivor on your terms. But we have a special needs child who requires about $1,200 per month in therapy and medical expenses that are not covered by insurance. Yeah, I could use a million bucks, but you wouldn't know that by looking at my husband's pay stub.

And if I went on Survivor and didn't win, yeah I'd be disappointed, but would I think I deserved the money more than anyone else? Heck no! That money is earned by whoever outwits, ouplays, and outlasts everyone else. It's a game!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    But, I give props to ANYONE who would do this show, because it would definitely be more than I could handle. I'd be burying something slightly bigger than a baby bayut in a shallow grave within 3 days, I guarantee.
    John!

Zeta Crown perhaps?

My 2 cents:

a: The producers should try to cast the 16 most interesting, etc., people regardless of income, social status, etc. as long as they keep it 8 men and 8 women. A better age variety may be nice, but so long as they go from the applicants and not casting agents.

b: The show is not perfect, as the last one showed. But that is the beauty of Survivor, that it is a form of Social Darwinism, with everyone trying to win a million. I sure didn't like Jenna, but she won. And the fact that she did as opposed to the 15 others there shows us a bit about all of us.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    I don't think the individual's income/occupation should be such an issue. The experiences are much more memorable and it could change the person for the better. IMO, the money prize is just something extra.

Foggy Doggy
    Wow....I thought that most people would be more sympathetic.

I'm not saying they shouldn't allow anyone on with a "comfortable" way of life, but it just seems to me that I would definately root for there to be more "regular" folks on instead of just "professional types" who already have a leg up in the world because of their looks, education & social status.

Maybe they have a leg up in the world because they worked hard at it...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Foggy Doggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Maybe they have a leg up in the world because they worked hard at it...
    Bill, I'm not dissing all rich or successful people, but lets face it, many of the rich and powerful, or most successful came from families that could afford to put them through school, coddle and shelter them til they can afford the white pickett fence of their own.

How many people do you know of that actually make it out of the ghetto or lower-middle class backgrounds, without being athletically gifted ???

Is it not true that most doctors, lawyers and CEO's have come from wealthy and already successful families ? Most of them are also "Frat Boy" & "Sorority Girl" types, who never had to word a day in their lives until they graduated from school.

Many of them feel they are "entitled" because they are the ruling elite (The Bush & Kennedy families come to mind), and "deseve" to be where they are because of luck being born into those families.

In the Upper Echelons of our society, it's only those with "networked" connection who usually make it to the top as a CEO. The "good ol' boy network" as it is sometimes called. Most top managers are picked often because their "daddy" went to school with someone's dad or knew their daddy, and they get the job and promotions......it's not very often someone works their way from an ordinary office worker to a higher level mamager. I ahd to work from the time I was 16, and for the next 22 years I worked 2 jobs most of the time, and paid for my own schooling, as my parents couldn't afford it. I worked hard but repeatdly was left behind in promotions for the guy who was connected with being a Frat Member or went to the same school, or whatever......but my social status and background never really led to my being "acceptable" as one of THEM. I finally asked one of my Directors (at Southern Air Transport) what I needed to do to get a promotion, and he bluntly told me that it probably wouldn't happen, even if I worked 60-80 hours a week and had the best stats of any of his middle managers.....I was stigmatized because I was not "a good ol' boy".

Not to say it doesn't happen occasionally that someone can work thier way out of poverty with hard work, but along that way also had to come some VERY GOOD LUCK as well.

I am most fortunate to have had an uncle who did make it out of the lower middle classes, and make a name for himself in the NYC Insurance world as a Middle manager.....but he even said he got his initial break for management because he went to the same school as his boss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast