+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Should Survivor take on cast members that are already wealthy ?

  1. #11
    FORT Fan bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Age
    48
    Posts
    300
    I have to agree with John and others that it doesn't matter what the persons income is/was.
    It is the interaction between the survivors that matters.

  2. #12
    Foggy Doggy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmac
    I have to agree with John and others that it doesn't matter what the persons income is/was.
    It is the interaction between the survivors that matters.
    I just wish we could have one whole cast of an RTVS with people who really need the money. I would hate it if an attorney wins and the kid from the produce dept doesn't just because the lawyer can use his "pretty looks" and "sex appeal" to pursude girls to vote off the ugly kid or Rupert.

    I just like to root for the underdog (which an attorney certainly isn't). His spot could have been taken by someone who really works for a living like a cop, fireman, school teacher, construction worker etc.

  3. #13
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    All the attorneys I know work their asses off. Long hours, no social life, spending all of their money on clothing, etc. which is required for the job.

    I think that everyone's view of "who needs the money" is biased by their own experiences.

    EVERYONE could use a million bucks, regardless how much you make. The more you make, the more you spend, and an extra million's a nice deal for anyone.

  4. #14
    For Your Entertainment lobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Doggy
    Not really....I know a few friends that have worked in law firms, and have 2 cousins that are "legal assistants". Those are the people who really work in law firms, the lawyers just sit back and rake in the money from exploited clients.
    Hmmmm...has anyone seen LG?

  5. #15
    Foggy Doggy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    All the attorneys I know work their asses off. Long hours, no social life, spending all of their money on clothing, etc. which is required for the job.

    I think that everyone's view of "who needs the money" is biased by their own experiences.

    EVERYONE could use a million bucks, regardless how much you make. The more you make, the more you spend, and an extra million's a nice deal for anyone.
    Well I can tell you of my experience......my Uncle died in 1999 and left an estate of over $ 1.7 million (after taxes) that my brother and I divded as his heirs. Because he stupidly didn't leave a will, we had to go probate and that meant a lawyer had to recieve and then distribute the money to us as bank accounts, and then the (Mid Town) Manhatten apt was sold (for around $ 1 million) and life insurance policies collected, etc.

    In the 8 months that we employed our attorney, he appeared in court NOT ONE TIME, spoke to me exactly once over the phone in a very curt 3 minute phone call. But who I did talk to was his legal assistant for an hour or so a week,.......he signed off on papers that she would present to him for a quick signature. Twice I tried to get ahold of him to talk to him personally and was told he was "playing golf" once and the other time he was "at the gym". Both calls were placed during the week and during the day.

    He collected 6% + $ 20,000 = $ 122,000 for basically NOTHING. His reputation is as one of the best probate lawyers on Long Island....he was recommended by one of Miami's largest law firms. I'm sorry but he DIDN'T do $ 122,000 worth of work.....but because he is a lawyer he gets to charge that.

    Yes you can say I guess I am already hoping the lawyer gets kicked off 1st

  6. #16
    Soccer Kicks Balls cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    right behind you
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,258
    We have really gone off subject now. Can we return to wealthy contestants on Survivor?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

  7. #17
    LG.
    LG. is offline
    FORT Writer LG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    frozen tundra
    Posts
    14,060
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Hmmmm...has anyone seen LG?
    sorry, too busy exploiting clients today, haven't had much of a chance to surf the net. I don't remember anyone out for blood because Deena was an attorney last season, but then again she is a prosecutor and they do not get paid very much for the hard work that they do. Incidentally, I'm both a provider and customer of legal services (had to hire my own recently) and even lawyers don't enjoy paying big legal bills, but I'd be a fool to try to represent myself outside of my area of practice. That's why they make the big bucks. I'll post more when I get done exploiting the masses and sending out huge bills. Not very many attorneys earn "as much as the prize money" by the way, not outside of NYC or some really high powered California firms (which were largely hurt really hard by the collapse of silicon valley). I'd bet winning at survivor would still be a jump in pay for almost every attorney, and for those it wouldn't, well, more power to them then if they'd choose to starve and eat bugs with a bunch of strangers over sitting in their offices making the same loot.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

  8. #18
    Foggy Doggy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    sorry, too busy exploiting clients today, haven't had much of a chance to surf the net. I don't remember anyone out for blood because Deena was an attorney last season, but then again she is a prosecutor and they do not get paid very much for the hard work that they do. Incidentally, I'm both a provider and customer of legal services (had to hire my own recently) and even lawyers don't enjoy paying big legal bills, but I'd be a fool to try to represent myself outside of my area of practice. That's why they make the big bucks. I'll post more when I get done exploiting the masses and sending out huge bills. Not very many attorneys earn "as much as the prize money" by the way, not outside of NYC or some really high powered California firms (which were largely hurt really hard by the collapse of silicon valley). I'd bet winning at survivor would still be a jump in pay for almost every attorney, and for those it wouldn't, well, more power to them then if they'd choose to starve and eat bugs with a bunch of strangers over sitting in their offices making the same loot.
    Sorry LG, but I just am not a fan of lawyers Especially after my expierience in 1999-2000 :mad:

    However here in Miami I don't see too many lawyers starving.....most are very busy riding in their BMW's and Mercedes to Doral Country Club to play golf or off to Christy's in the Gables (Coral Gables) for their $ 200 "power" lunches with their also exploitive doctor friends. :

    Cali....I also would like to get back to the subject.....rich contestants or not ? I think if they want to have them....put them all on one show, so they can lie and cheat each other, while those normal everyday working people can play the game with guts & integrity.

    (just joking with ya LG....well I do mean it a little)

  9. #19
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,108
    Just because Andrew is a lawyer doesn't mean he is rich. There are tons of attorneys that don't make big bucks. Also, IMO, it doesn't matter. Most of the lower paid people in this country can't get 6 weeks off of work, I know I can't.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  10. #20
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    I believe that Jeff said in an interview last season that at one point, Deena had approached him and said "you know, Jeff, I make more than $100k per year, what the hell am I doing this for?"

    But, I give props to ANYONE who would do this show, because it would definitely be more than I could handle. I'd be burying something slightly bigger than a baby bayut in a shallow grave within 3 days, I guarantee.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.