Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News: Pirate's life on 'Survivor'

News: Pirate's life on 'Survivor'

Pirate's life on 'Survivor'

Daily Variety
    Thursday, August 28, 2003
    Joseph Adalian

It's a pirate's life for the seventh season of "Survivor."

With Jerry Bruckheimer's "Pirates of the Caribbean" still drawing big crowds at the box office, Mark Burnett's reality smash "Survivor" will return next month with a distinct pirate feel -- and at least two major twists designed to keep audiences interested in a franchise heading into its fourth year.

It's a key year for "Survivor" since the skein will spend the fall doing battle with the first episodes of the final season of NBC's "Friends." Ratings have remained solid for the skein so far, with the latest edition averaging nearly 20 million viewers.

Expanded preem

CBS will also announce today that the skein's Thursday, Sept. 18, premiere will be expanded to 90 minutes, duplicating a strategy first used in January.

Pirate theme -- which includes a tribal council set featuring a re-creation of a giant Spanish fort, complete with cannons -- predates the success of this summer's blockbuster, since "Survivor" tapes months ahead of time.

Contestants on the coed teams --including a mortician, a counselor of troubled teens and a massage therapist -- will use pirate-style rowboats to travel between their individual islands and various competitions. Other pirate themes are likely to emerge throughout the season, which was filmed in the Pearl Islands near the coast of Panama.

Skein will also up the cruelty factor a bit by marooning contestants in their street clothes, rather than allowing them to change into survival gear beforehand. Changes of clothing, luxury items and bathing suits have all been banned.

Well-dressed contestants

"If you really were marooned, you wouldn't have time to choose your clothing," Burnett said. "There's one person who has to jump into the water wearing an Armani suit, a woman wearing a dress with high heels and no underwear. It's very humorous in that way."

Indeed, humor is a bigger-than-usual aspect of this season's "Survivor."

"With some of these characters, you can see they're funny right off the bat," said CBS reality guru Ghen Maynard. "When you look at the raw material before it's been edited, and you find yourself laughing, you know you have something."

Maynard said expanding the seventh season premiere of "Survivor" to 90 minutes allows Burnett to pack in more character detail and give viewers a better feel for the new cast.

In addition to the marooning, Burnett said there's another unexpected turn that will shake up the game -- and hopefully keep viewers from switching to their "Friends" on NBC.

'Jaws will drop'

"There is the twist of all twists in this year's 'Survivor,' " he said. "I tell you, jaws will drop."

While twists are now mandatory for reality shows, Maynard said it's essential "Survivor" not duplicate the twist-a-minute mandate of other shows.

"You have to keep it fresh, but you have to stay true to the original nature of the show," he said.

Contestants on the skein's "Morgan Tribe" include Tijuana Bradley from St. Louis; Nicole Delma of Hermosa Beach; Darrah Johnson of Mississippi; Lillian Morris of Ohio; Ryan Opray of Los Gatos; Andrew Savage of Chi; Ryan Shoulders of Clarksville, Tenn.; and Osten Taylor of Boston.

On the "Drake Tribe": Rupert Boneham of Indiana; Shawn Cohen of Gotham; Jon Dalton of Danville, Va.; Sandra Diaz-Twine of Ft. Lewis, Wash.; Trish Dunne of Maryland; L.A.'s Christa Hastie; Burton Roberts of San Francisco; and Michelle Tesauro of New Jersey.

This year's crop is particularly youthful, with 10 twentysomethings and three thirtysomethings. Two players are in their early 40s, while the oldest player is 51.

Oh, I'd be a *little* pissed if I had to jump in the water wearing an Armani suit. I'm guessing it's Burton, though. And the woman without undies, that sucks, too.

Considering that they will be dropped in water in their suits and high heels, they don't need to worry about Friends stealing their audience. No doubt in my mind which show I will watch.

And well, maybe they see the bright side: it just might be healthier to not wear undies at all than to wear undies that you are not really able to wash properly.

FORT Fan

Twist speculation...

Ever since S1, MB has made subtle changes to the game of Survivor. These "twists" can sometimes have some very interesting affects on the game (S3, S5 and S6). Other times, the affects aren't so noticeable (S2 and S4).

S2 - Castaways marooned for 42 days (3 extra), Final vote revealed live
    S3 - Switching tribe members first introduced
    S4 - Option to give up Immunity Necklace given
    S5 - The infamous fake merge
    S6 - Tribes split by gender

One things for sure: MB has no problem shaking up the rules of this game in order to keep our interest. He says "jaws will drop" when the second major twist is revealed. So, with that said, does anyone have any ideas what that twist will be?

I thought the Armani suit was Shawn

JR.
    Skein will also up the cruelty factor a bit by marooning contestants in their street clothes, rather than allowing them to change into survival gear beforehand. Changes of clothing, luxury items and bathing suits have all been banned.

Well-dressed contestants

"If you really were marooned, you wouldn't have time to choose your clothing," Burnett said. "There's one person who has to jump into the water wearing an Armani suit, a woman wearing a dress with high heels and no underwear. It's very humorous in that way."
    I love it already I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    And the woman without undies, that sucks, too.
    Oooohh, Heidi and Jenna would be mortified.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood

Hmmmm... I wonder what the 2nd twist can be... sounds interesting...

FORT Fogey
    I would hate that if I had to spend 39 days in one outfit! How horrible. Glad it's not me who's on this show this season. This sounds so interesting! I can't wait!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast