+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gay or Lesbian contestant?

Osten

As a bartender (I'm not one at the moment but once a bartender always a bartender, right?) I'd say the C&C is a typical "African American Male" drink. I use quotes because, duh! Stereotype. But based on this little clue we know he's African American. Wee!

The Absolut Citron could mean he's gay. No, the fact he likes a lemon flavor to his drinks means nothing, except he likes lemon. It's the brand name that says, "gay." A straight guy would typically go for vodka. A gay guy would typically (as in, stereotypically) go for the trendy brand name "Citron" vodka.

But I'm sticking to my theory that he lives in a "gay" area of Boston because it's trendy but he himself is not gay. He's maybe been socialized in the gay culture there, but not himself gay. Maybe he's what they're calling a "Stag-hag" these days. A straight guy that hangs out with gay guy friends because it's trendy & a great way to meet all the "fag-hags", the straight women that hang out with gay guys.

On Hiatus
    I think this has probably already been touched upon (no pun intended), but I have a feeling Survivor has the "don't ask, don't tell" kind of policy...but rather than the accepted version of this, it's "we won't ask IF you don't tell."

I am POSITIVE there have been gay members (snort) of all the survivor series...well, maybe not all, but most...I think some probably see admitting to being gay as admitting a "flaw", just like it could be to some (not me, by the way, I loves me gay men...and women for that matter...) in the real world. It's not that easy in to come out in the real world (Angie states the obvious), and I'm sure it's even more so in a microcosm.

What I mean by that is that players omit all kinds of personal information...for fear that any of it could be held against them. Even though we live in a more tolerant society, it would be tough to be openly gay in this atmosphere.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Maybe we should take a closer look at Osten's underwear. Buzzed. That has to mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    I am POSITIVE there have been gay members (snort) of all the survivor series...

What I mean by that is that players omit all kinds of personal information...for fear that any of it could be held against them. Even though we live in a more tolerant society, it would be tough to be openly gay in this atmosphere.
    You're probably right. What I'd like to see is someone be openly gay to the camera (that is, us), but not the other team members. I was wondering if Ryan S. might evolve into someone like that, but now we'll never know.

On Hiatus
    Yeah, that would have been interesting. I, personally, miss the variety that having a gay character provides, and the insight it gives us to the other members of the tribes. Ah well.

And by that, I mean...like my opinion of Rudy from S1 went through the roof when I saw how he treated Rich. I never would have anticipated that.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fogey
    You know, I hardly remember the 1st Survivor. I hardly remember how Rudy treated Richard at all. I am assuming now that is was good because you said, Angie, that your opinion of Rudy went through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie

Reichen and Chip split up? Why?
    I don't think they broke up. They were having some problems after TAR4. I saw a red carpet interview with them at the Emmy's. They looked happy and together...they did say that they had problems but that they weren't going to discuss it. I say good for them. I can say that they both looked real good.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

On Hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    I hardly remember how Rudy treated Richard at all. I am assuming now that is was good because you said, Angie, that your opinion of Rudy went through the roof.
    Essentially, even though Rudy was a macho military guy, he stuck by his alliance with Rich until the end. Basically he took the attitude that most people should take if they don't care for the lifestyle-it doesn't affect me, so it's none of my business.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I believe Rudy said "I like Rich. But not in a homosexual way, that's for sure."

Don't know how to do the "pointing upwards laughing smiley face guy" but the above has to be my favorite Survivor quote ever.

+ Reply to Thread