+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: 5/12 Survivor 26 Caramoan Finale and Reunion Show Thread

Re: 5/12 Survivor 26 Caramoan Finale and Reunion Show Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Perfect questions all of them, though I'd ask Eddie more "you're a medic and firefighter.... which involves life saving stuff... but have trouble deducing that you were in a minority alliance?"
    Ha! Good question. I fear he may have thought cool, good-looking people's votes counted for more! (OK. Now I'm just being mean!) I wish Eddie and his doggie bar well.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

There was definitely something out there about Russell Hantz threatening to "get" Phillip!

Perhaps security was a consideration. It would be a lot easier to protect with a fewer number on stage which included Phillip.

As mentioned a girl, Rudy, Rich, and Boston Rob DID NOT PLAY and therefore they were not deserving of that time. The time added to each of these comments and discussion could've been used for the players who were eliminated early.
    I think they were all totally inappropriate except BRob's Rules which was linked through Phillip.
    The little girl, the Bold & Beautiful and too much time on Malcolm added up to more time than was given to Cochran, and certainly enough time to include some queries of the pre=jury folks.

The lack of room on stage explanation was just a crock. There was a way they did it at rehearsal ... so it could be done, They also could have ackniwledged that the pre jury folks were in the audience and even had them stand up and take a little bow ... or come up one at a time to answer a short question.
    It's hard to believe that the Hantzs have so much power!
    mushybrain likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

So busy this week that I only finally watched the reunion last night. Very happy Cochran won. I thought he deserved it and I like him a lot! Congratulations Cochran!!

He played smart and was managed to stay likable. Not only that but his commentary made the show a lot of fun for us viewers.

Dawn was never going to win with all her crying and making people miserable at camp, but I don't think that called for the way Brenda and Reynold tried to humiliate her at the jury questioning and how they all tried to humiliate Sheri wasn't classy either. Glad Dawn's doing better and isn't letting herself be too bothered by the public flogging.

I don't like to call sexism on things. I can't help but wonder at the different reactions to Dawn's play and someone like Boston Rob who did the same things but was a man. When you play hard to win as a woman you're often seen as a *itch while a man is not judged for doing the same kinds of things.

All in all good season! Cochran was my favorite from the beginning and he actually won. That doesn't happen often.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 05-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Alexxxx likes this.

I think I must be the only one who wasn't all that bothered by not having the full cast on the stage for the reunion. Frankly, I didn't care about the early boots that much, and aside from all the drama surrounding Brandon, there wasn't much (I thought) that I needed to learn from them or about them.

They experimented before with the reunion/winner reveal. Jeff used to do the whole James Bond thing with the urn, but they don't do that any more. They have had different hosts before, until Jeff took it on every year. They had the whole "Survivor band" on the side doing the song live. It just wasn't a huge deal to me, as a viewer, I guess. And I have to say I consider it kind of amusing that the pretty-girl early boots felt so slighted about not being on stage. It's not like they had any strategy to speak of, they didn't make any impact on the show except to highlight Reynold and Eddie's sexism, and they weren't very interesting, IMO. They wanted to sit up on stage, fine, but it's not as if we were missing much by them not being there.

I was happy to hear from Cochran, I cringed a bit at Jeff moderating the Brenda/Dawn thing, I shook my head at Rudy (I mean yes, that one I agree was ridiculous), I loved BRob so was happy to see him, and the whole kid/Malcolm thing was kind of stupid but whatever. My girls (aged 12) thought it was funny.
    GabbyG and ilja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Great article. I think Dawn is quite honest about her shortcomings and honest about what went wrong at the reunion show.

She even defends Brenda... I think Dawn just wants the nonsense to stop:

That's kind of the point. I agree with the assessment that Erik made about the reunion, but I would like to sum it up for viewers (not the players as much), in this way... the reunion insulted our intelligence.
    Their choice of casting of late has shown that they believe we are more interested in good looking people, crazy characters, and controversial players than really great survivor players and the reasoning for the game they played. This was underscored at the reunion by the extensive time they spent talking to Malcolm, Reynold (who did NOTHING out there), and Phillip (and Boston Rob), and other former players.
    They also think we are interested in inane tweets from dumbass people. "it's going to be a show about sharks." Yeah, that represents the intelligence of America. Thanks for representing us with that.
    The demand of an apology by Jeff, and then telling Dawn she wasn't being sincere was also insulting to our intelligence. We can judge for ourselves Jeff, thanks.
    By the way, why DID Jeff offer Reynold an excuse for his poor game play? Jeff said that it was because Reynold was up against favourites, but Reynold lost this game all on his own way back when he chose his 4 against 6 alliance. He was playing with FANS at that point. Is it a "boys club" thing? Reynold is a decent challenge competitor, plus Jeff deems him good looking, therefore he must be forgiven for his stupidity. Please.
    Jeff could try to feed us a lot of takes on a lot of things about this show, but I'm not going to buy his lame attempts at manipulating the audience. We're not as stupid as you think Jeff, and if you continue to insult us, I may just have to quit watching.

Someone mentioned a long time ago how Jeff just tends to favour the men of Survivor who have done well, from Colby, to Boston Rob, Ethan, to Malcolm. I'm not saying these guys don't deserve favour, but he does this to the detriment of women. The women they choose to represent the show are generally dumbasses. Do you think we'll ever see Denise as a spokesperson? I doubt it. It doesn't fit Jeff's MO of what Survivor winners should be. Yuck. And before anyone mentions Parvati or Stephanie L, or Jenna M., take a good hard look at how young and beautiful they are. Where are the Tina's, Denise's, Sandra's etc. It's almost as if these ladies winning don't count.

I want Survivor the game back, not this washed up on shore version of Big Brother.
    Very well said Spock! I wish I could like this a hundred times.
    spockwhat likes this.

Good grief! I've not watched Survivor for the past four weeks before the finale. Watched the finale (2 days late). Where did my Survivor Love go?

It was a good enough season, I suppose, but not enough to make me want to tune in every Wednesday night (have it on DVR). I watched the finale without having watched the previous 4 episodes. From someone who's been been watching almost constant since 2000 says something about either (a) the show or (b) about me or (c) both of us

I don't understand why everyone was so mad at Dawn. I've given this a bit of thought (again, I've not watched much of the last part, but still) .... she betrayed people. she voted off people she'd made promises to.

I'm wondering HOW is that different from that others have done in the past? Boston Rob? He was LOVED and voted off people he'd made promises to. What made Dawn's broken promises so much harder to digest than the other preceeding her?

ED.... I'm wondering if it's harder for a woman to be a backstabber and get away with it than for a man. Hmmmmm.
    spockwhat, Duckyface and Midol like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I think I must be the only one who wasn't all that bothered by not having the full cast on the stage for the reunion. Frankly, I didn't care about the early boots that much, and aside from all the drama surrounding Brandon, there wasn't much (I thought) that I needed to learn from them or about them.

They experimented before with the reunion/winner reveal. Jeff used to do the whole James Bond thing with the urn, but they don't do that any more. They have had different hosts before, until Jeff took it on every year. They had the whole "Survivor band" on the side doing the song live. It just wasn't a huge deal to me, as a viewer, I guess. And I have to say I consider it kind of amusing that the pretty-girl early boots felt so slighted about not being on stage. It's not like they had any strategy to speak of, they didn't make any impact on the show except to highlight Reynold and Eddie's sexism, and they weren't very interesting, IMO. They wanted to sit up on stage, fine, but it's not as if we were missing much by them not being there.

I was happy to hear from Cochran, I cringed a bit at Jeff moderating the Brenda/Dawn thing, I shook my head at Rudy (I mean yes, that one I agree was ridiculous), I loved BRob so was happy to see him, and the whole kid/Malcolm thing was kind of stupid but whatever. My girls (aged 12) thought it was funny.
    You're not alone.

Though I would have preferred Probst had asked some more revealing questions instead of the fluff and the trying to garner more death threats for Dawn.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Not every loved Rob Mariano. My word to describe him is "smarmy." This time he showed up to promote a book of some kind, which doesn't interest me at all. Blech!
    march, yourefired and GabbyG like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post

Sweetpea I'm wondering if you read that link to Allie's Facebook? It pretty much answers your question. She wasn't upset that she wasn't called on stage or even asked a question, but. that up until the night before at rehearsal that is what they had been told...they would be there. Many had invited up to 6 people to watch the show...at considerable cost for travel and hotel...and then told at the last minute they wouldn't be there. Not only that, they had told her that of the three dresses she had brought, only one was suitable but since she was sitting next to Francesca who had the same coloured dress, she needed to go buy another...thus missing a dinner she had arranged with family. I was very clear she was not impressed with the whole thing and felt that it would have been better to have just been told before all these arrangements were made, that they need not bother.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Thanks for that info, no I hadn't had a chance to read it yet. That would suck. I always thought the show would cover all the costs of transportation and accommodation while there? . Honestly, why would people even bother going if it would cost them a fortune to do so, and if they were very unlikely to get much air time if they were among the first few voted off? Something seems off there.

About the comparison to BRob vs Dawn. That's a good question. After thinking about it a bit, I see it this way: BRob did in fact lie and stab people in the back. He did so to further his game and he did so without apparent malice or enmity. There was nothing personal in it, as he always insisted, and he seemed to get along with most people while on the island, made it fun for people, etc. Dawn, on the other hand, was just so darned NEEDY all the time. It was always the crying, the paranoia, the hysterics, the OTT reactions to immunity wins, or voting someone off, or losing her retainer. She seemed to take so much from everyone. Everyone said it was really hard to be around her 24/7. Even she admits she was a total pill. So her closest alliance members try to support her, sustain her, reassure her, etc and she turns around and stabs them in the back (except for Cochran).

Of course, I have always liked Rob and have made no apologies for it. So this is just my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread