+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: 5/12 Survivor 26 Caramoan Finale and Reunion Show Thread

Re: 5/12 Survivor 26 Caramoan Finale and Reunion Show Thread

Very interesting jury and final tribal council! For the first time in a while I actually thought each person in the Final 3 made significant moves to get there and it's a shame they couldn't articulate the why and what in a better manner to illustrate their success:

Sherri- Forgot HUMILITY. The jury was full of young adults/kids and delusional morons--you have to stroke their egos and make them comfortable about their shortcomings--not open up with a stint about how successful you are at bossing others around (likely people their age) and making a lot of money. Sherri also suffered significantly from the fact that the majority of the favorites never saw her game play at the beginning of the season and the 2 kids that did--Reynold and Eddie--resented her as a strong female from the get-go (she was on their hit list the entire game when they weren't too busy telling the cameras how hot they are their new girlfriends were). All in all, Sherri actually did a great job uniting the fans tribe and managing the crazies (Shamar, we are looking at you) but few people saw it and she obviously didn't share this information. Finally, Sherri should have coninuously reminded the jusy of her role as a swing vote post-merge...really stressing the fact that instead of seeing her as an easy pawn/vote off she actually made herself a viable vote and non-threat...but, again, she didn't highlight this role either.

Dawn-- I'll start by saying I have next to zero respect for her based on the edit but she managed to continually burn people and they kept coming back for more! This is particularly interesting as many of the contestants have harped on the fact that she essentially drove them bats*** crazy with her emotional, paranoid antics 24-7. She must have been playing a decent social game to overcome the bad feelings during the game and still get folks to reveal all of their plans to her...and I do wonder if Cochran would have made F3 without her.

Cochran-- Perfect amount of humility, cleverness and "growth" to win. While the first two are self-explanatory I believe the 3rd is sort of an emerging phenomenon we are now seeing in voting games--a trend where folks want to reward the "good guy" for personal growth, discovery and/or revelations made during the game. It's rare that we see a jury give the million to someone that simply states "I beat you because I was smarter and better and that's that" (I think last time we saw that was with Russell--and despite being an amusing semi-douche he did outwit all of them and they still gave the million to a gal that just voted the way Russell told her), instead we see good guys like Skupin and Cochran triumph...even if there was a player behind them that made some significant moves. What is even more interesting is the flack that the folks who made the big moves received while the hero received the praise and the votes (JT and the Wizard come to mind).

I would have liked if Jeff had asked Cochran what made him chose to bring Dawn to the FTC instead of Eddie. He usually asks the winner about their choices, but he didn't this time. Sherri was a no-brainer- the only way she would've received a single vote is if Cochran and Dawn spontaneously dropped dead at Tribal Council....

I liked Final 2 better than F3. I never really understood the point of 3. It seems as if one person just sits there and receives no votes.
    CharmOffensive and mushybrain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Some random thoughts:

I am so glad Cochran won. He played a great game. His answer to Malcolm's question at final tribal was brilliant - he stroked Malcolm's ego with honesty by telling him the difference between them is his (Cochran's) insecurity. Cochran's answer to the silly question about what animal they would be (can't remember who asked it) was also genius. Chameleon. Perfect.

Very disappointed that Brenda did not just take the high road with Dawn and her teeth. I can sympathize with Brenda's feeling betrayed, but it made me very uncomfortable and a bit disappointed in her.

Eddie is dumber than a bag of sticks (with apologies to the sticks). I'm surprised he didn't say that his B&B (Beer & Bark) would only be open to cool, good-looking people who had cool, good-looking dogs, or that cool, good-looking dogs would be the waitstaff. Bless his tiny little brain.

Reynold proved yet again what a narcissist he is. Hello, Dawn. Tell me about ME, times three!

I really like Erik, and I'm sorry he was pulled from the game, but he needs to grow a pair. He had power at final tribal. When Sherri told him to go sit down, he slunk away with his tail between his legs. He should have asked more questions and told her he would sit down when he was good and ready to sit down.

Andrea was all class.

Phillip is still delusional. I'll bet he thought he was absolutely destroying Sherri by rescinding her membership in S'R'US. She must have been devastated.

The reunion show was TERRIBLE. Everyone on the season deserved a chance to sit on that stage, even if it highlighted the fact that Brandon had been banned. Jeff could have addressed why he wasn't there, and no one would have blamed the producers for not giving him more screen time to display his lunacy.

Jeff should have talked to Erik and Michael. I would have loved to know what Michael thought about Corinne calling him her "gay" over and over.

Speaking of gay, it was nice to see Rudy in the audience, and I am grateful to him for his service to our country, but what a waste-of-time interview.
    He provided no insight or thoughts on the season. He was just stuck on saying the word "queer". And another many seconds were wasted on Hatch.

I didn't mind seeing BR. He was relevant to the game because Phillip made him relevant to the game. The hawking of his book was lame, though. (Is that even a real book, or just something he made up for Phillip?)

And I beg of you, Survivor producers, PLEASE stop interviewing irrelevant audience members!!! The young girl was cute, but no one cared what she had to say about Malcolm. Jeff said that young people love Malcolm. OK. We believe you, Jeff. Young people love Malcolm. Move along.

I'm also pretty sure that the world would not have stopped spinning if we didn't have those inane tweets read to us. Maybe it's my bias against Twitter
    and people's desire to gift the world with every darn thought that pops into their head.

I also really, really, really wish Jeff would have asked Eddie and Reynold (E&R) about their "cool kid" alliance. Jeff could have asked whether "cool kid" math
    is somehow different from standard math where 6 beats 4 EVERY TIME! They deserved to be ridiculed in typical Probstian manner.

And speaking of the cool kids, it would have been interesting to hear what Allie and Hope thought about E&R talking about their looks and "F---ability."

Anyway, it turned out to be a great season after all, with a very satisfying ending.

See you all for Blood & Water!
    So agree with your thoughts about the reunion show. Less stupid filler and more probing questions for the contestants. I particularly would have liked to see your suggestions for Reynold and Eddie and Allie and Hope. I realise the reunion show is supposed to be feel good, but, you can still do that and ask a few sarcastic questions.
    Duckyface likes this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I liked Final 2 better than F3. I never really understood the point of 3. It seems as if one person just sits there and receives no votes.
    But when there is a F2, the winner of the last last immunity challenge pretty much decide who will win it all which makes for a really boring outcome. Minor exceptions - Lilly just could not bear the thought of rewarding Fairplay with a final seat so she ended up sitting next to Sandra which she knew would be problematic. And Hatch throwing the last challenge so Rudy would be on the jury and would vote for him.

Thoughts...

I was pulling for Cochran all season. His first season I think he was so freaked to just be there that he forgot how to play! This time he remembered his 13 years of Survivor Boot Camp and played a flawless game. I also loved his FTC comments. To tell Malcolm that the difference between the two of them was insecurity and how he needed to vote off his biggest threats could not be argued with. It was honest, and you could tell it humbled Malcolm to a point. I think that's what made Malcolm say "this is not who I thought I would be voting for". I also loved Cochran's animal answer and his reasoning behind it. If the jury wasn't totally sold on Cochran when they sat down, I think that FTC showed them who needed to win this game.

I never liked Brenda her first season but I warmed up to her a bit this time... but then her belittling of Dawn at the FTC just pi$$ed me off. I don't like Dawn, but I don't like cruelty for cruelty's sake either. I don't believe Brenda's vote was up for grabs, I think she just wanted to humiliate Dawn. Dawn at first said "No, I'm not going to do that" but then she knuckled under thinking she could buy a vote or two for going through with it. I lost respect for both of them.

Sherri might as well have not even been there... but any hope she had of winning any votes at all were dashed when she said something like "I have 75 people working for me and I came into this game thinking of you all in the same way". Like that's gonna win her favors?? "You are all my subordinates. Vote for me". Yikes. And shame on Erik for walking away without calling her on that.

I also agree that Andrea was a class act at FTC. She recognized she got played and respected it. The majority of the jury was subdued this season, very little bitterness it seemed.

In regards to Boston Rob, I think the book was a joke for Phillip. I also don't believe he will play this game again, even if they bring families in next season. He said after he won Survivor that no matter how much he loved the game, four times was enough, he had won, and he was not going to play again. I also don't think they will chance the Hantz family either. You can't ban Brandon from the reunion and then invite them onto another season!

All in all, a great season to watch. I am so excited for Cochran. He proved that you don't have to be a Colby or an Ozzie to win challenges, and you can win this game without backstabbing and humiliating your opponents. It also proves that dreams come true. Way to go Cochran.

Cookie
    Last edited by CookieJ; 05-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.

What a wonderful post CookieJ.

I didn't mind that Erik walked away, its not his nature to call anyone out- he was trying to explain and Sherri showed her true colors by telling him to sit down, money doesn't buy class- which is obvious seeing her with Erik

Great season, great winner
    jucamer and Midol like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    What a wonderful post CookieJ.

I didn't mind that Erik walked away, its not his nature to call anyone out- he was trying to explain and Sherri showed her true colors by telling him to sit down, money doesn't buy class- which is obvious seeing her with Erik

Great season, great winner
    I was very disappointed to see Eric go out like that at the end when he was so close to the final. I always liked him and thought he was a sweet guy despite giving away his immunity last time. Naive and not the brightest, but, nice and sweet. I wanted to see him redeem himself just like Cochran, but, alas, it was not in the cards for him. He played smarter this time and I really think that if Eric or Brenda or both had stayed in the game, Cochran would have gone home. Eric or Brenda would have won the game, but, I don't think we would have had such an articulate and satisfying winner.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

I hate to say this because I don't want to hurt his feelings if he reads this but (famous last words), I thought Erik was a bit of a hypocrite when he asked Sherri what exactly did she do for game play? I wanted her to ask Erik back, what exactly did he do because of the tone he was using in his question. I could not help but feel like Erik was a bit bitter over the whole Brenda thing because she was his BFF. Did Erik ever strategize? I know he was the one that brought up the will they or won't they play the idol in the great Malcolm TC but that is not exactly strategizing for winning.
    march, GabbyG and Duckyface like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as an idol?

I'm also glad that Erik simply walked away. Going back and forth with that woman would have done nothing but satisfied his ego. Walking away just showed that ego is not one of the things that drives him. He had no chance of getting through to her, and so he let the door close and sent his vote to Cochran. I truly believe that the nice guy in him was trying to do something to show that Sherri should be recognized for at least making final three and should face the same tough questions. Sherri should have never tried to make the end game if she couldn't stand a few humbling moments. Final tribal is always filled with those.

Poor Eddie. I was just going to enjoy the moment when the medic in him kicked in but hearing about the bar with the doggy babysitting racket out back just did me in. That may have been the worst plans for a cash prize on a tv show that I have ever heard. I was hoping it was some sort of joke and that Probst would ask him about it but it may be better that I never know the real answer to that question. He's like a medic savant. Seems like he knows his work but the real world just stumps him.

Thinking back on Sherri and Erik just showed once again how much the reunion lacked. They didn't need to address their exchange, but they really didn't pay too much attention to Sherri at the reunion at all. They just confirmed that they saw her as a non factor just as much as most of the contestants did.

I know they focused on the blood vs water theme for next season....but did they happen to mention the location? Somehow I missed that part if they did.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    I hate to say this because I don't want to hurt his feelings if he reads this but (famous last words), I thought Erik was a bit of a hypocrite when he asked Sherri what exactly did she do for game play? I wanted her to ask Erik back, what exactly did he do because of the tone he was using in his question. I could not help but feel like Erik was a bit bitter over the whole Brenda thing because she was his BFF. Did Erik ever strategize? I know he was the one that brought up the will they or won't they play the idol in the great Malcolm TC but that is not exactly strategizing for winning.
    Honestly, I could never read Erik. I liked him enough, but for someone that was so low-key, and I often forgot he was on the show, he was easy to like .I wish he would cut his hair, he has really nice face, we just can't see it.. I forgot to say how much I liked Andrea, she is very pretty with a personality to match- but as Jeff said- its the boys that get her into trouble if I was her age, they would me as well
    ilja likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread