+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree547Likes

Thread: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Cochran is the typical amoral turd who gets applause for gameplay. I could care less. He exemplifies the vey essence of why the real world is so screwed up, especially in business. We cheer on and congratulate these `strategist's', give them piles of money and ignore the human wreckage they leave in their wake. I could never ever look my father in the eye and be proud (or expect him to be proud of me) for winning money by going against the morals he taught me. Those morals are not negotiable, especially for s stupid game. Yes, I guess I do get emotionally involved and I have no interest in or applauding sneaky game play.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Really wanted Erik to get a coconut. His spine is showing from the front.
    Sad, but that's a hilariously striking visual

Cochran's mom called him 'Cochran'. Interesting. Is that a Survivor (TV) thing? I would think mom would call him John.
    Especially since her own name is Cochran. It would have been funny if Cochran had also called her Cochran right back.

Eddie is blindsided again with another 'save' for himself. He must have a pocketful of lucky charms.
    It goes to show, time and time again, someone from the minority group... usually the one who lies lowest manages to survive as the majority tribe turn against each other. You know, Malcolm played this way his first season. Every time he and Denise were the minority (which was all the time), they just let others turn on each other. I really think Malcolm could have benefited from the same strategy this season... obviously this tribe was just waiting to turn on each other.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 05-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Cochran is the typical amoral turd who gets applause for gameplay. I could care less. He exemplifies the vey essence of why the real world is so screwed up, especially in business. We cheer on and congratulate these `strategist's', give them piles of money and ignore the human wreckage they leave in their wake. I could never ever look my father in the eye and be proud (or expect him to be proud of me) for winning money by going against the morals he taught me. Those morals are not negotiable, especially for s stupid game. Yes, I guess I do get emotionally involved and I have no interest in or applauding sneaky game play.
    As a famous Survivor once said..."there are no villians in a game of monopoly." Penner was right. It's a game, it's not LIFE. Brenda had her breakdowns too, and Dawn was there to give her a shoulder. Yes, it's a difficult, lonely game... and you have to rely on people emotionally and that is part of the being on the island. But though Brenda and Andrea were close, Brenda proved she also was not a saint, she turned on Andrea as quick as she could.
    Duckyface, ilja, jucamer and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Erik was on the bottom of the Stealth-r-us. He's played very quietly... avoiding making the key decisions, winning challenges (and throwing them) and not ruffling any feathers. Week after week he creeps closer to final three with this strategy. It was curious that Cochran and Dawn were discussing Eddie and Brenda as THE challenge threats, but there was no mention of Erik. He should be target number one, but he's avoiding being that target. It's decent game-play, though, like I said, I don't think a lot of people see it. I will give you that it is unremarkable, but not wholly without merit. It would depend a lot on how angry jury members are at the other two of the final three... Erik's would at least be an interesting argument.
    Minus winning challenges, this reminds me a bit of how Sandra won with a similar gameplay. (No, she wasn't quiet! LOL!) I know it is indeed a strategy, but I really don't see a jury awarding anyone else for basically laying low. You're right, though, about how angry the jury could be.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

FORT Fogey

Here's a hypothetical for those that are morally outraged with tonight's decisions:

Cochran's at Harvard Law, right? Well, that ain't cheap. Let's say that his parents have 2nd and 3rd mortgages on everything they own and have had to postpone retirement, maybe indefinitely. Let's say Cochran is playing to win the money to pay them back. Heck, maybe a chunk of it is intended for his favorite charity.

How does he face those people if he had not made the strategic move to eliminate Brenda tonight, in effect giving her the $$ (because that's how I see it playing out in that scenario)? Even if it might be the right moral decision, look at the fallout for those he cares about. Are Brenda's feelings more important than theirs?

Same goes for Dawn and all the rest, IMO.

I can't equate gameplay to somebody's morals in real life. This game isn't real life.
    Punkin, dagwood, spockwhat and 7 others like this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

I get what you're saying but I don't think there is any way of winning this game without some sneaky game play...unless you win every single immunity challenge. At some point everyone lies and even if someone manages to keep their hands clean, it's only because they had someone else do their dirty work. I don't think this is necessarily a reflection of who these people are in real life, it is just the game and why it is so fascinating to watch after all these seasons. How do people maintain their integrity...or how much of it do the maintain...in order to win the game? If people are so black and white in their morals they don't go to play Survivor. What I look at is how quickly everyone snaps back to reality and realize that it is only a game and stay friends despite what happened in the game.

I guess I'm a just a glass half full type of person and think that everyone gets their just desserts in the end...even if I'm not necessarily around to see it.
    Alexxxx likes this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

A final comment, because I've harped on it enough...

I don't even see what immoral act Cochran did! Brenda targeted HIM, for heaven's sake. He was supposed to let her vote him out? I don't get why it was ok for Brenda to try to rally to vote out Cochran but not for him to defend himself. Because she cried? I don't get it.

redsox girl... the real question is this? How could darling sweet Brenda vote out Andrea last week after Andrea gave up her paid for reward of food to provide rice and beans for the entire tribe?

They are ALL of them playing the game. Brenda is a sweet girl, but she knows what game she was playing like everyone else. And she was playing it as hard. She is no martyr of the game of Survivor.
    Did I say she was a martyr? No. Those are your words. Calling her `dear, sweet Brenda.' implies I view her as The Saint of Survivor. It also sounds a bit condescending towards me. Clearly, I would be delusional to view Brenda or anyone as perfect. And I certainly didn't say she was on her way to sainthood. I'm a bit astonished as to why you are focused on calling out Brenda as if it's important to prove my feelings are wrong. But feelings are neither wrong nor right. I view Brenda as someone who didn't cross a certain line. You can agree or disagree. But, there is something despicable about tossing someone after they've filled your bellies and emotional needs at their own expense. AS I wrote, like some viewers I don't view this game as a detached strategist, I view it as a morality tale. One that reflects our society, sadly. Brenda is an example of someone who tries her best to be honest, and frankly, is kind. Again, not perfect. I would rather she win a million dollars than an amoral person like Cochran, who clearly prides himself on being a student of the game and has no moral hesitation in doing whatever it takes to get ahead. Really, that was the only point to my post. A visceral reaction that I could relate to as it happened in the moment.
    Florimel and Jaceegirl like this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Umm... It's Survivor, not real life. If you choose to play a "moral" game, that is your choice.

FORT Fogey

A final comment, because I've harped on it enough...

I don't even see what immoral act Cochran did! Brenda targeted HIM, for heaven's sake. He was supposed to let her vote him out? I don't get why it was ok for Brenda to try to rally to vote out Cochran but not for him to defend himself. Because she cried? I don't get it.
    Good point. Maybe we should blame the editors. Too much good Brenda/bad everybody else tonight.
    jucamer likes this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

+ Reply to Thread