+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree547Likes

Thread: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Brenda was in a no win situation with that choice. She keeps the prize for herself and Dawn and people justify voting her out because she was so selfish. She gives the prize to everyone but her and Dawn and immediately becomes a threat because she's so likeable. Doing good deeds pays off early in the game in terms of buying you a few more weeks, but not this late in the game. Anything you do that makes you look like a threat at this point gets you voted out. The SMART move in that competition is NOT to win it--especially as any student of the game knows that prizes involving loved ones always come with a twist. There's no way Cochran and his mom could have won that prize, but I'm not sure he wanted to.

What amazes me is that no one seems to realize that Cochran and Dawn have a super tight bond. If you tell one you want to vote out the other you go on a hit list no matter how many nice things you do. And may I say that given that bond you could argue it would have been more unethical of Dawn to betray Cochran than to betray Brenda.
    I was going to post the exact same thing about the reward. And it was horrible that after she picked Dawn to go with her on the reward, giving up the reward for herself also gave it up for Dawn. That being said, Dawn was a little too dramatic about the whole thing. She's cried a few too many times for my liking. Brenda missed out on the reward too, and she had to make the tough decision after winning the challenge. I didn't like Dawn that much prior to this episode, and I now like her even less.

It is rather strange that no one has mentioned (that we've seen) breaking up the Dawn/Cochran pairing. I remember Cochran justifying voting out Matt because he was close with Michael, and he viewed them as possibly becoming "a power couple." People could say the exact same thing about Dawn and Cochran, especially since they played together before.

Eddie: so clueless. He's very lucky that he was in an alliance with smarter (Malcolm) and bigger challenge threats (Reynold) than himself, and that the SRus alliance has turned on itself.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post

It was a strategic move - she did it to Andrea last week, I get it, but for me it just shows me that these three people have no morals at all and I have lost respect for each of them. Allowing these people to be with their loved ones while she gave up her own imo means more than the rice and beans. Especially Sherri and after what she said about it when she was able to hold her son in her arms reminding her of when he was first born. Yet, she easily forgot that as she wrote Brenda's name down. This was the most disappointing and sad episode I have seen watching Survivor. Brenda hold your head up high because you are a decent and kind person and that is a lot more than the three of them are.
    With respect...how can it be strategy for Brenda to do it, but immoral if the others do? I get that it was unexpected for her and she was truly upset. I felt bad for her, but, that does not change the fact that she was targeting Cochran...who basically saved her last week and he was protecting himself this week. Also, these people will be seeing their families in a few days...they need rice and beans to survive now. The producers play up the emotional aspect of the family visits and it can be truly heartwrenching at times, however, food is what gets them through and helps them win challenges. They can do without the family visit for a few days, but they can't do without food. This is why this is the challenge that a smart player never wins...it always makes you enemies no matter what you do.
    Last edited by Midol; 05-09-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by hot_chocolate View Post

It is rather strange that no one has mentioned (that we've seen) breaking up the Dawn/Cochran pairing. I remember Cochran justifying voting out Matt because he was close with Michael, and he viewed them as possibly becoming "a power couple." People could say the exact same thing about Dawn and Cochran, especially since they played together before.
    I read somewhere from some of the eliminated players interviews that they did not spend a lot of time hanging around together or talking, so people didn't suspect. I would have had my eye on any players that had played together previously since they would have known one another and there would be more likelihood that they were working together...even if it looked like they weren't. Better the devil you know theory. I think that this was Malcom's problem. He had not played with any of the favourites and nobody knew him from his season since it had not aired before they filmed this one. Essentially he was the only favourite who did not play with anyone and why he teamed up with the fans.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

FORT Regular

Final point to add: Brenda, your dad is one of the nicest persons (in terms of family members or contestants) I've met on this show, and I'm sure he's very proud of the way you've played the game this time round.
    Florimel, Brooks and Jaceegirl like this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Final point to add: Brenda, your dad is one of the nicest persons (in terms of family members or contestants) I've met on this show, and I'm sure he's very proud of the way you've played the game this time round.
    My guess is that is why he told her to be humble this season. In her first season she was an arrogant mean-girl.
    Punkin, Duckyface and jucamer like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Trying to think if an "ethical" person has ever won (that is, someone who didn't overtly lie/bluff/betray--do things that would seem unethical outside the context of Survivor)---I'm thinking Yul came fairly close, but maybe I'm just forgetting some of his backstabbing.
    I can think of only two - Yul (where the final two - Ozzy and Yul - would've been deserving) and Ethan - who didn't betray anyone until he had no choice, and that was toward the final three. Yul's bluffing was the rather brilliant use of the HII as a threat - he had it out in the open and people were too afraid of their own hides that they wouldn't vote for him for fear he'd use it and they'd be out. Neither really backstabbed.

I do agree with you - the only folks I've felt were bad to be bad were those such as any of the Hantzes, Phillip and Colton. Going out of your way to intentionally harm someone or make someone feel threatened is much different.

Isn't it amazing that we all sit here on our home islands strategizing(?) and being moral ... or not ... about it all.

What if Brenda hadn't won ... but Cochran, Dawn or anyone else had won? Would the outcome have been the same?

What happened this week was simply timing. The loved one's visit probably tipped the scales. If that had been any other reward it wouldn't have had nearly the impact.

I still don't get why so many dislike Dawn. She is trying to play the game and she has explained this to us several times. Cochran and Sherri actually crafted the plan to boot Brenda, . Sherri guessed and Cochran confirmed. Including Dawn was the clean way to do it ... but they certainly could have used Eddie if she chose not to participate.

Eddie was clueless ... but Erik was actually blindsided with Brenda.

Those who feel very bad for Brenda ... should vote for her as fan favorite.

One other thing ... someone mentioned money and the Cochran family and the cost of Harvard Law School. Could Cochran be on a scholarship? ... And also, Cochran mentioned his Dad is a neurologist ... so I am presuming he didn't grow up in the poorhouse.

It really would be a hoot if Eddie made it to F3 with Cochran and Dawn ... and the jury spitefully voted for him to win.

I am no longer rooting for Cochran.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    "I was honest with you guys. I was genuine with you guys.... it hurts." -- Brenda faces her team mates

Well, it was a jerky thing to do after she gave up being with her loved one for he sake of others. But I guess Dawn couldn't get over it and not think about herself for once.

Well, another Survivor lesson learned: Never give up a chance to be with a loved one for the sake of the group. They don't appreciate it anyway. Especially how this time they just about taunted Brenda and Dawn by saying "they're not missing much".
    She was damned if she did damned if she didn't though. If she hadn't given it up, she would certainly have been voted out.

I wanted her in my final 3 until she started gunning for my Cochran. Then beyotch had to go. Too bad too cause she, Erik, and Cochran would have been a great final 3.
    Punkin, jucamer and sparklete like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Some random thoughts on this episode and the discussion here:

I liked Brenda, this time (not the last) but think Dawn has a much greater responsibility to her children to try to win the money than she does to Brenda, who she's known 35 days. Why would she owe Brenda more than she owes her kids? Dawn seems crushed that she didn't win the money last time to help her kids. Of course she's going to try to win it. Why would she even be on the show if she wasn't going to try to win?

I think it was extremely cruel to have the loved ones party where Brenda and Dawn could see, hear and watch it when they could easily have had it elsewhere. Talk about cruel producers. I think it was also cruel of them to wave and laugh at Brenda and Dawn during the party. What torture that must have been for both of them.

Dawn comforted Brenda on several occasions that we saw, and who knows how many that we didn't see, it wasn't a one way street with Brenda giving and Dawn taking.

Brenda choose to let the others have their loved ones as a strategic decision, thinking it would get her votes, not because she's nice. She really was in a no win situation in this, as others have said. People upset at her either way, but she choose the way where she'd likely get more votes out of the jury, instead of the way rewarding Dawn for being such a good friend to her. If we're talking ethics was that an ethical decision?

I think if Brenda had made the deal with Dawn at the immunity challenge Dawn would have felt a responsibility to not vote for her, but since she insisted on trying to win the immunity and wouldn't make a deal it made it easier for Dawn to vote for her. (Who knows about editing but from what we saw I don't think Brenda gave it away as she said she did)

Didn't three people vote for Brenda? I don't get why people are acting like Dawn did this alone. It wasn't even her idea. I also don't understand the "it was ok for Brenda to do it, but not for other people" line of thinking. Because you like Brenda that means she doesn't have to play by the same rules? Isn't that part of what's wrong with society. Different rules for different people depending on who's favored?

I remember Brenda's big grin when it became clear that Andrea was going to be voted out. She certainly didn't mind a blindside of someone who had made a sacrifice for the tribe then.

I don't understand why people think others should just sit passively and let someone else win. I really don't think Brenda went into this game thinking "if I'm nice enough everyone else will just give me a million dollars instead of trying to win it themselves."

Dawn and Cochran have been in a tight alliance since the beginning so it seems clear that when Brenda started talking about voting him out, if you want to talk ethics, Dawn had a responsibility to Cochran over Brenda.

I can't help but wonder if any of the people upset at Dawn were among the almost universal majority who loved Boston Rob, and others in the game, even though he and they many times blindsided people who trusted him.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 05-09-2013 at 02:22 AM.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    My husband and children were so upset and shocked! They kept saying they shouldn't do that to Brenda. I really expected it, but hoped that Dawn and Cochran would decide to wait. Brenda's shock made me very sad for her; she was so heartbroken :-(
    You can't wait on that. She's a challenge threat. They might not get another chance.

And Dawn knew she was gunning for Cochran. Dawn is truly with Cochran so she had to protect her ally.

This was the smartest move they could have made.
    Punkin, Duckyface, Alexxxx and 2 others like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

+ Reply to Thread