+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree547Likes

Thread: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Can't help but laugh at Brenda getting shafted. Just way too much attached to the loved ones reward. It's not like its even been a couple months since they saw them.

Can't stand the constant crying of Dawn. So annoying. I think I'd be the jerk that would mock her on the island until the group voted me or her out.

Cochran has played this well. He's done a good job of making people take it personally vs Dawn instead of him when it comes down to blindsides and voting. The only person he has a pact with is of course Dawn.

She can say and cry all she wants but she's NOT playing the game. Pawn once again.
    Brooks, jucamer and Midol like this.

FORT Fanatic Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    redsox girl... the real question is this? How could darling sweet Brenda vote out Andrea last week after Andrea gave up her paid for reward of food to provide rice and beans for the entire tribe?

They are ALL of them playing the game. Brenda is a sweet girl, but she knows what game she was playing like everyone else. And she was playing it as hard. She is no martyr of the game of Survivor.
    Cochran told Dawn and Brenda that Andrea was targeting them. That's why they turned it around and voted Andrea out. They were fine with getting Eddie out until Cochran ratted out Andrea. Same reason Cochran got rid of Brenda tonight, she was targeting him, and Dawn let him know that. I don't think it was the game move that hurt Brenda so bad, as much as it was the personal betrayal by Dawn. They seemed to be very close out there, and not just for game purposes, but on a personal level. That's what was so devastating to Brenda I think.
    march, mesachick and Midol like this.

Some of you will remember previous seasons much better than I do...but hasn't this happened before? Where the person who does the "nice" thing (gives up a reward so that the team can get food or visit with a loved one or something) is the next person voted off?

IIRC, no one who's ever been nice has ever made it to the finals. (Which is why I don't understand why they don't just take the reward...they're gaining a target if they're nice because who could beat them? and they're gaining a target if they're not because they weren't nice.)

Or maybe I'm just tired and really don't remember correctly :-)
    jucamer likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Brenda was in a no win situation with that choice. She keeps the prize for herself and Dawn and people justify voting her out because she was so selfish. She gives the prize to everyone but her and Dawn and immediately becomes a threat because she's so likeable. Doing good deeds pays off early in the game in terms of buying you a few more weeks, but not this late in the game. Anything you do that makes you look like a threat at this point gets you voted out. The SMART move in that competition is NOT to win it--especially as any student of the game knows that prizes involving loved ones always come with a twist. There's no way Cochran and his mom could have won that prize, but I'm not sure he wanted to.

What amazes me is that no one seems to realize that Cochran and Dawn have a super tight bond. If you tell one you want to vote out the other you go on a hit list no matter how many nice things you do. And may I say that given that bond you could argue it would have been more unethical of Dawn to betray Cochran than to betray Brenda.

Also have to say, unless you are a challenge monster there is no way you can win this game without "outwitting" people. Outwitting involves fooling people, bluffing, having multiple alliances, etc. ---to not include this component would be like saying in a poker game you have to tell everyone what your cards are. I wouldn't want to see a game made up of all brawn---I'm interested in the outwit part of the game as well. Yes, I loved watching the young Ozzy, but a game of all Ozzies would be boring. No one should sign up for Survivor without "reading the rules" as it were. And Brenda is no newbie---she knows how the game is played.

Where I think one shows bad character is when one does bad things purely to do bad things, like Colton for example.He was mean just to be mean, not to score points in the game.

Trying to think if an "ethical" person has ever won (that is, someone who didn't overtly lie/bluff/betray--do things that would seem unethical outside the context of Survivor)---I'm thinking Yul came fairly close, but maybe I'm just forgetting some of his backstabbing.

Finally, I think what is "wrong with the world"--e.g., some of the behavior we've seen on Wall Street--is that people forget it is NOT a game, that Wall St. is the "real world", and not a poker game.

Wow~ well the loved ones I was a mess. Its always so interesting to see them interact with their family.

I love a blindside and I know its a game, but I didn't enjoy this blindside as much. It was a smart move, but. .

I love how Dawn has all the young ones giving in to her paranoia, I was wishing Brenda would hold on .Last week Andrea gave into her & gave Dawn her HI to take to TC , because Dawn begged for it, and felt safe and who goes home? I wonder if this will bite her in the bum should she make F3
    There is lesson in all this, is ya win something, don't play nice. !!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

10 pages and not one mention of the preview for the finale where it looks as if someone might be taken out of the game. Of course, those previews are always misleading, but Jeff was there bending down over someone, so it should be interesting!
    jucamer and Midol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I know people like to dissect this as a game and brilliant game play but for me it's always a game about how morally bankrupt people always win in the end. Always. Jusr like in life. I always go into this show praying someone good, decent and honest can somehow prevail despite being surrounded by muck. By scum. Tonight for the first time in a long time it made me sadder than usual. I can't understand how people like Cochran, Dawn and what's her face can be loved or respected by their families. Their scum. How can you love or respect or be proud of a family member who turns around and craps all over the person who gave your loved one the opportunity to be with you while she gave up the win for herself? Yeah yeah, I know it's all about game play, I know that. Brenda is too decent and kind and honest to win. And that's such a sad commentary. At least her Dad knows he raised a wonderful, decent human being. Maybe that's worth more than a million dollars. Having sad that, it made me a bit teary eyed when I saw Brenda's reaction to being voted off-I am glad she told them how hurt she is, because in her case, they absolutely -ripped her guts out in such a cruel way.
    So now, I think I'm going to root for Dead Man Walking , Eddie. Anyone but Dawn What an ungrateful witch-seriously, Brenda picked you to go on the barbecue, it's not like she purposely took it away from you. Get over it. I just feel so bad for Brenda.
    Bravo Red Sox girl for saying exactly how I feel. I know most don't share our opinion, but I was very happy to read your post because I saw it the same way. I hope that Eddie or Erik wins it all. You have already covered exactly how I feel about Dawn, Cochran and Sherri. As someone upthread said, I wish Brenda didn't find Dawn's teeth, because she said she was going home right then and there if they weren't found.

I know most people think it is a game and Brenda should have known. Brenda's name has come up before and whether she won that challenge with her dad or not I feel she would have been targeted. I am sure that if Eddie had won immunity Cochran would have talked both Dawn and Sherri to vote for Brenda. She wanted to win to spend time with her dad and picked Dawn right away. She had no way of knowing that for the first time in Survivor history they were going to do this move. It's easy after it has been played out to say she should have done this or that. IMO she was going regardless. For me it is all about morals that people either have or don't have.

It was a strategic move - she did it to Andrea last week, I get it, but for me it just shows me that these three people have no morals at all and I have lost respect for each of them. Allowing these people to be with their loved ones while she gave up her own imo means more than the rice and beans. Especially Sherri and after what she said about it when she was able to hold her son in her arms reminding her of when he was first born. Yet, she easily forgot that as she wrote Brenda's name down. This was the most disappointing and sad episode I have seen watching Survivor. Brenda hold your head up high because you are a decent and kind person and that is a lot more than the three of them are.
    Florimel and GabbyG like this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Some of you will remember previous seasons much better than I do...but hasn't this happened before? Where the person who does the "nice" thing (gives up a reward so that the team can get food or visit with a loved one or something) is the next person voted off?

IIRC, no one who's ever been nice has ever made it to the finals. (Which is why I don't understand why they don't just take the reward...they're gaining a target if they're nice because who could beat them? and they're gaining a target if they're not because they weren't nice.)

Or maybe I'm just tired and really don't remember correctly :-)

Absolutely. It has been especially true in the last several seasons, so much so that I say it doesn't make sense to actually try to win the reward yourself. You'll have less of a target on your back, while watching who picks who... If you're not picked, you then have the opportunity to talk to the others who weren't picked about why the "winner" should go home at the next vote.
    Punkin and Midol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Brenda was in a no win situation with that choice. She keeps the prize for herself and Dawn and people justify voting her out because she was so selfish. She gives the prize to everyone but her and Dawn and immediately becomes a threat because she's so likeable. Doing good deeds pays off early in the game in terms of buying you a few more weeks, but not this late in the game. Anything you do that makes you look like a threat at this point gets you voted out. The SMART move in that competition is NOT to win it--especially as any student of the game knows that prizes involving loved ones always come with a twist. There's no way Cochran and his mom could have won that prize, but I'm not sure he wanted to.

What amazes me is that no one seems to realize that Cochran and Dawn have a super tight bond. If you tell one you want to vote out the other you go on a hit list no matter how many nice things you do. And may I say that given that bond you could argue it would have been more unethical of Dawn to betray Cochran than to betray Brenda.

Also have to say, unless you are a challenge monster there is no way you can win this game without "outwitting" people. Outwitting involves fooling people, bluffing, having multiple alliances, etc. ---to not include this component would be like saying in a poker game you have to tell everyone what your cards are. I wouldn't want to see a game made up of all brawn---I'm interested in the outwit part of the game as well. Yes, I loved watching the young Ozzy, but a game of all Ozzies would be boring. No one should sign up for Survivor without "reading the rules" as it were. And Brenda is no newbie---she knows how the game is played.

Where I think one shows bad character is when one does bad things purely to do bad things, like Colton for example.He was mean just to be mean, not to score points in the game.

Trying to think if an "ethical" person has ever won (that is, someone who didn't overtly lie/bluff/betray--do things that would seem unethical outside the context of Survivor)---I'm thinking Yul came fairly close, but maybe I'm just forgetting some of his backstabbing.

Finally, I think what is "wrong with the world"--e.g., some of the behavior we've seen on Wall Street--is that people forget it is NOT a game, that Wall St. is the "real world", and not a poker game.
    Excellent post. I only wish I could like it multiple times.

I totally agree about true character shown when one does bad things purely to do bad things...Colton and Nanonka are the two who come to mind. Even Russell had a reason behind his nasty behaviour. My favourite winners were always the most rounded ones who had physical, social and strategic skills...but, of those skills, personally, I value the strategic the most. Perhaps value is the wrong word to use...I find it the most interesting to watch how it plays out. It is the one skill that makes Survivor superior to any other reality show because of all the ways different people have found to utilize strategy to get them to the end...or failed in the attempt. And Yul was one of my favourites. The only other show that is close in this respect is Big Brother. Of course, a little luck also helps.

Regarding your other point...knowing which challenges to let others win. True. There are certain challenges you never want to win. These are usually the reward challenges that involve loved ones or picking people to go on reward. Smart players usually let others win those since they always involve upsetting someone since you can't pick everyone. Let others deal with the fall out and save yourself for when it counts...immunity challenges! I'm a firm believer that at the end, you should not be throwing those!!!
    Punkin, marauder, Alexxxx and 1 others like this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post

Another person that comes to mind who I think played an ethical game is J.T. I couldn't believe that no one thought to ever try to vote him out, because it was clear that if he went to the end he'd win and he did unanimously.
    jucamer likes this.

+ Reply to Thread