+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: 3/13 Survivor 26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/13 Survivor 26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

So we never learned what the immunity challenge was going to be. I'm wondering if that challenge will be skipped.

Jeff had to know what happened in camp and I'll bet there was an executive session to discuss options. Like proceeding with tribal council in that fashion. As an open vote it wasn't a fair TC. Towards the end they had no choice but to vote for Brandon. What TC accomplished was taking the overt decision away from Jeff to pull Brandon.

I feel Phillip's insanity is more dangerous in some ways than Brandon's, and Phillip appeared to me to be very willing to jump in physically given the opportunity.
    livin4reality likes this.

Jeff told Brandon to go behind the challange and he'd find him in a bit because he knew production was back there. He didn't want to say..."hey Brandon, walk over there to where prodcution is" because that snaps the viewers out of the 'reality' of the show. No one wants to be reminded that there are 100s of people working on the show just out of camera sight- it takes the views out of the moment and ruins the illusion that it is 'real' (and I use the term loosly).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

There were several points where Phillip, sometimes physically, walked away from a physical confrontation. He knows the rules, knows that might get HIM evicted, unless Brandon assaulted him...and even then he'd have to be careful how he defended himself. He's not nearly as out of control as Brandon was.
    Endit--I just wanted to add some support to your explanation of what happened with the Big Brother Hantz. He was also obnoxious and confrontational, but the question of the head butt was a hotly debated one at FORT when it happened--the people with live feeds replaying it over and over vs. what was shown on TV. Certainly there were plenty of viewers who saw it the way you did (while others didn't, the camera angles weren't great for deciding), and people who felt he didn't deserve to go for that...but as you say, it feeds the Hantz mythos. Frankly just amazed that the males in the family don't all end up in jail, they seem so confrontational. And poor Brandon is working hard to be assimilated, now that his wife is gone.
    I was also thinking that Brandon (and maybe Phillip as well) looks more "pumped" than when he was on before...hope nobody's been on steroids. 'Road rage on Survivor, just what is needed.
    Endit likes this.

The sad thing is, Brandon really made some decent points about Philip and his arrogance in the tribe. And when he was telling Philip to just "shut up" - well, it's not as if I haven't been saying that to my tv pretty much every week when Philip starts on his stupid Stealth nonsense. It's just too bad that Brandon isn't stable enough to contain his anger and find a different way to get rid of his rival. I'm no Hantz-fan at all, but I do feel badly for Brandon and I honestly think he had some astute observations, just couldn't express them in a mature (sane) way.

I really agree that Brandon wanted to be voted off for something he did, rather than allowing Philip the power to throw the challenge and make the decision as the "leader" to have Brandon voted out.

Philip is no Boston Rob. He's heavy-handed, painfully annoying, and lacks any finesse with people. I agree that the others tolerate him rather than enjoy him, and I honestly don't think he's long for the game unless he again becomes a goat for someone else (hopefully Malcolm!).

The looks on Malcolm, Eric and Cochran's faces while all this was going on was so upsetting. They just looked so defeated.

I really hope Brandon gets some help to find peace in his life.
    Last edited by sweetpea; 03-14-2013 at 09:53 AM.

FORT Fogey

I agree that Phillip's insanity is more dangerous than Brandon's. Brandon was clearly unwound completely off the spool last night, but Phillip knew that and deliberately provoked him even further. At least with Brandon you knew it was coming, and if Phillip had wanted, he could have done something to appease Brandon. Even something as simple as graciously accept his apology, but no. Phillip could flip out at any time he feels his 'authority' is threatened, whether the threat is real or not. Remember this is the same Phillip that was called crazy by his tribe his last season and he somehow made that into a racial slur and went off on a tirade.

I can't wait for Phillip to be gone.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Pretty much as some of us thought: Security was ready, and the psychologist was nearby.

'Survivor's' Jeff Probst on Brandon Hantz's meltdown: Security guys were ready to assist
    By Andrea Reiher
    March 14, 2013 9:23 AM ET

Brandon Hantz had a rather epic implosion on "Survivor: Caramoan" Wednesday night (March 13). He was not only yelling and calling tribemate Phillip names, but he dumped the tribe's food on the ground. Hanz was then eliminated when the Favorites threw the Immunity Challenge and voted him out on the spot.

Host Jeff Probst tells EW what the show was thinking in bringing Hantz back and what viewers did not see on TV.

"We were actually very excited [about Brandon's return] because he had a new approach to the game," says Probst. "He said he wasn't going to be as emotionally reactive and felt that after playing once he was better prepared for the 39-day adventure. We felt Brandon had the potential for a true underdog story of a young man who was overwhelmed the first time he played and was seeking redemption."

As for during the actual confrontation at the Immunity Challenge, Probst says security was on stand by, as was the show's psychologist.

"Because something like this had never happened before there was no plan in place. I was assessing moment to moment, making decisions based on what was playing out in front of me," says Probst. "I can share with you that I was whispering instructions into my microphone (which is fed to our audio department) for our safety and security guys to be ready to assist if necessary. I was also asking for our show psychologist to be put on a boat and brought over immediately so she could counsel Brandon after the incident was over."

It turns out a psychologist is made available to all "Survivor" players when they are voted out, which we were unaware of.

"Our psychologist is there for any contestant who needs care whenever they need it. If necessary we find a psychologist or therapist for a contestant in their home town," says Probst. "I can't speak about Brandon specifically due to confidentiality, but we are in constant communication with him and will be for as long as he needs it."

Probst also teases that there is indeed a tribe shake-up next week -- "I said at the beginning of the season I felt this was a good season and I still feel that way. Much more to come."

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    It turns out a psychologist is made available to all "Survivor" players when they are voted out, which we were unaware of.
    Don't we know that for at least the jury members? Isn't that a psychologist who joins them in the car ride to Ponderosa village?

I can't speak about Brandon specifically due to confidentiality, but we are in constant communication with him and will be for as long as he needs it.
    That's chilling. How long since it stopped filming and the show is still working with him on this?

Someone had mentioned that Brandon was divorced or split up. If so, and from the way he discussed his family last night, it sounds as though it happened after he came home. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    Brandon and Phillip are both nuts. I wish they would have both gone.

If that whole exchange between them was written on paper and not acted out full of drama, Brandon actually made sense. His points were valid. He just wasn't emotionally capable of handling the situation. Phillip bringing up his kids at mock-tribal was just pouring salt in the wound. He knew exactly how Brandon would react. In fact, I think he was hoping Brandon would come at him physically so that everybody would disregard what Brandon was saying, and see Phillip as some sort of victim. Brandon is emotionally immature to an extreme, but Phillip is certifiably crazy. I couldn't live with either of them.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the parts I've bolded.
    Alexxxx likes this.

I will be interested to see how both teams react to Phillip now.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Can't add anything to everything that has been said other then to say IMO I don't think the show should have had both Brandon and Phillip on to begin with. They may each have different problems, but yet together I felt it was like an accident waiting to happen.

+ Reply to Thread