+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Julia - Caramoan (Fan)

Re: Julia - Caramoan (Fan)

Quote Originally Posted by maul52 View Post
    PWS..I respect you for what you said about Julia's degree in your previous post. My main argument is that if you watch the footage on CBS.com that doesn't get aired then you will see that not all of the "boring" contestants that get little air time are represented accurately on the show. Obviously I am in the minority because I am the viewer that would watch every episode of Survivor at least twice even if it were on for 2 hours a night 7 nights a week. Even Cochran seemed rather dull on his first season until he switched things up by betraying his tribe full of people that did nothing but ridicule him. Perception is not always reality.
    I am not disputing anything anyone has said here. I am just wondering if Julia didn't integrate herself into either tribe and that is why she got a "vanilla" edit.

Perhaps neither tribe or any alliance accepted/welcomed her? So if she had noone to talk to ... she didn't talk. Perhaps Cochran (meanly) called her an insult to vanilla because when the swap put her with his tribe, she didn't engage with anyone... except maybe with the most loved person ... Phillip.

I saw her web page and she is kind of cute ... and after watching Danica in the Daytona500 ... I guess I think she has an interesting and grueling profession.

Driving a race car seems to be a pretty solitary job except for the pit-crews. It's competitive, true, but not in the community sense ... so maybe she just wasn't a "fit". here.?

Thanks for you consideration of my thoughts.
    Last edited by echo226; 03-29-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Brooks, Bearcata and maul52 like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I am not disputing anything anyone has said here. I am just wondering if Julia didn't integrate herself into either tribe and that is why she got a "vanilla" edit.

Perhaps neither tribe or any alliance accepted/welcomed her? So if she had noone to talk to ... she didn't talk. Perhaps Cochran (meanly) called her an insult to vanilla because when the swap put her with his tribe, she didn't engage with anyone... except maybe with the most loved person ... Phillip.

I saw her web page and she is kind of cute ... and after watching Danica in the Daytona500 ... I guess I think she has an interesting and grueling profession.

Driving a race car seems to be a pretty solitary job except for the pit-crews. It's competitive, true, but not in the community sense ... so maybe she just wasn't a "fit". here.?

Good Post. She was a part of the 6 person Fans alliance sans the 4 "beautiful" people. She may have been an active part of that alliance, but we'll never know because the edit focused on the worthless POS Shamu and how the "beautiful" people were alienating themselves. Her alliance took a big hit when Shamu basically gave up and then another big hit when M & M (Michael & Matt) decided they needed to keep Eddie and Reynold over Laura in order to try and win challenges. I remember that Sherri and Julia were both against voting out Laura, but had to go with the majority. Right after that the tribe swap happened and Julia was on a tribe where the Fans were down in numbers 3 to 4 with the other two Fans being M & M, who had already betrayed their original alliance. Basically, she was up a creek with no paddle at that point. Not to mention that Philip pulled her aside right after the tribe swap, which probably put a stigma on her that isolated her even more. All in all she really had no chance given the events that happened outside of her control and more or less was always on the "outside", which would make it hard to integrate with the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by maul52 View Post
    Likewise, don't confuse Julia's perceived lack of charisma as a lack of competitive spirit. My comments on Cochran's lack of masculinity have more to do with how he disparages people behind their backs in his confessionals. Cochran has no room to be commenting on the inspiration or social graces of others...imnsho.
    First of all this is Survivor and Cochran's comments are quite insightful. Luv'ed his vanilla comment is was quite nice. But what about what Corrine said about Julia last week that was waaaaaaay vicious compared to what Cochran said. Even Jeff Probst said Julia completely disappeared during the filming and most viewers didn't even know who she was or that she even existed.

So real men who are masculine don't disparage other folks? So I guess all those highly paid, role model athletes playing football, basketball and baseball aren't masculine cause they all say "disparaging remarks". Guess that includes Kanye West. Now that I think about it all those talking heads on TV and all those politicians who snipe at their opponents aren't masculine either.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post

I read an interview with Jeff Probst that said during the casting interviews Julia was a little quiet but quite charming and they thought she would be perfect for Survivor. He was surprised how much she shut down during the game and appeared not to talk or interact with anyone to the point when theydid the tribe swap she didn't even talk to Corrine and Corrine bitched about it in a confessional. Jeff did wonder if that was a strategy on her part of that the experience of being in the game affected her that way. Jeff has mentioned before that he has been very surprised at how different people act in the game versus how they are in the interviews. Shamar is another example. Jeff thought Shamar would go far in the game and assume a leadership position but that didn't happen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It doesn't matter what school you go to, what you study, what job you have... you can still be a boring, vanilla person. One's accomplishments does not necessarily determine/reflect one's personality. There are plenty of people who are stay at home mom's, that show much more charisma and personality than we've seen from Julia.

Maybe Julia has a different demeanor outside of Survivor, but on the show she was bland. Considering that even Jeff Probst, who sees a heck of a lot more than we ever do, calls her out as shutting down and basically not talking to anyone, I would say that Cochran's assessment was spot on.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I wasn't even aware of Julia's presence until the last episode when she was voted off. It would take a full BOTTLE of concentrated vanilla extract poured over her to make her noticeable. Just not the right personality to play the game, IMO.
    mesachick and Photobabe like this.

I was aware that Sherrie had taken her under her wing along with Shamar and vowed to try her darnedest to keep her. However, if the swap hadn't happened (and with Reynold having the idol) she probably would have been next in line to leave on the original fans tribe.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

Weighing what we were shown of Julia versus what people who have seen other info and other interviews are saying about her,I'd say "Julia, we hardly knew ye" and that is the way the show wanted us to see her.

They spent all that time on Brandon and now on Philip because they like to show conflict and crazy and most anything else gets left by the wayside.

Hats off to Julia for sounding in real life like someone I'd like to meet. Which cannot be said for any of the "interesting" and over-exposed guys we have shoved in our faces onscreen.
    maul52 likes this.

Me, I'd rather have lunch with someone more animated. I'd pick Boston Rob over Julia every time.

I don't think *normal* folks end up on reality tv shows anyway lol.
    holly71 and CrazyDutchWoman like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    First of all this is Survivor and Cochran's comments are quite insightful. Luv'ed his vanilla comment is was quite nice. But what about what Corrine said about Julia last week that was waaaaaaay vicious compared to what Cochran said. Even Jeff Probst said Julia completely disappeared during the filming and most viewers didn't even know who she was or that she even existed.

So real men who are masculine don't disparage other folks? So I guess all those highly paid, role model athletes playing football, basketball and baseball aren't masculine cause they all say "disparaging remarks". Guess that includes Kanye West. Now that I think about it all those talking heads on TV and all those politicians who snipe at their opponents aren't masculine either.
    The key is I said behind their backs. If he did it to their faces it would be different. You're really going to tell me that you think he's masculine? Your profile pic is more manly than Cochran.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast