+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Julia - Caramoan (Fan)

Re: Julia - Caramoan (Fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't think we are watching the same game,. no matter I suspect he will last longer than Julia! oh wait- he did
    Really? And what have you seen that disputes what I said about Cochran? That he lasted longer than Julia? That doesn't have anything to do with him being "neutered" to put it kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by maul52 View Post
    Really? And what have you seen that disputes what I said about Cochran? That he lasted longer than Julia? That doesn't have anything to do with him being "neutered" to put it kindly.
    We will just have to see who else he boots out
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And Cochran doesn't even have the goods to be a Eunuch.
    Well, ignoring the fact that in societies with eunuchs they usually ran things behind the scenes....

don't confuse Cochran's lack of muscles with lack of competitive spirit--he just uses his brains to keep it from spilling out all over the place and alerting others to his ability to be a threat. This is the 2nd comment you've made that I've seen about his lack of masculinity, by which I assume you mean lack of muscle power---remember there are other ways to get things done. And as Malcolm has astutely observed, very shortly (post merge) obvious muscles are going to be a serious liability.
    Malcolm is another guy who's figured out that abrasive masculinity and bossing people around does not usually play well in the surviving aspect of Survivor.
    I think what Cochran meant was that even off camera Juia wasn't a lot of fun, whereas I can see Cochran or Malcolm being fun to be around.
    JLuvs, Florimel, Duckyface and 3 others like this.

Julia Landauer Racing LLC

Check out Julia's website. Although it is not a Philip Sheppard quality education (holding up my sarcasm sign), Julia is a student at Stanford University where she is earning a BS in Science, Technology, & Society. She is also one of only a few Nascar drivers to pursue a college education and one of her goals is to make racing more environmentally friendly. Not quite as exciting as what Cochrane is doing with his life (sarcasm again), but not really vanilla either.
    Rabid Dingo likes this.

None of that adds up to her being not boring though. Especially in terms of the game of Survivor. She obviously wasted her time with her BS in Society lol.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Well, ignoring the fact that in societies with eunuchs they usually ran things behind the scenes....

don't confuse Cochran's lack of muscles with lack of competitive spirit--he just uses his brains to keep it from spilling out all over the place and alerting others to his ability to be a threat. This is the 2nd comment you've made that I've seen about his lack of masculinity, by which I assume you mean lack of muscle power---remember there are other ways to get things done. And as Malcolm has astutely observed, very shortly (post merge) obvious muscles are going to be a serious liability.
    Malcolm is another guy who's figured out that abrasive masculinity and bossing people around does not usually play well in the surviving aspect of Survivor.
    I think what Cochran meant was that even off camera Juia wasn't a lot of fun, whereas I can see Cochran or Malcolm being fun to be around.
    Likewise, don't confuse Julia's perceived lack of charisma as a lack of competitive spirit. My comments on Cochran's lack of masculinity have more to do with how he disparages people behind their backs in his confessionals. Cochran has no room to be commenting on the inspiration or social graces of others...imnsho.
    Rabid Dingo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    None of that adds up to her being not boring though. Especially in terms of the game of Survivor. She obviously wasted her time with her BS in Society lol.
    Yeah, having built her own company, becoming a professional athlete and being on her way to a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in existence at the age of 21, or whatever she is, is a total waste of time. I'm sure she would be much more accomplished if she had spent that time calling people boring. And I reiterate, if you think she is boring then check out the link that Rabid Dingo provided to her exit interview with Rob Cestornino or the link I posted to her website.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Well, that degree usually means working on how science and technology can benefit society (e.g., less polluting cars), with an emphasis on science/tech, but if she'd talked about that some it would have been interesting. Of course from a producter's viewpoint not as interesting as Phillip being nutty I guess.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Likewise, don't confuse Julia's perceived lack of charisma as a lack of competitive spirit. My comments on Cochran's lack of masculinity have more to do with how he disparages people behind their backs in his confessionals. Cochran has no room to be commenting on the inspiration or social graces of others...imnsho.
    maul52---I criticized Cochran for that vanilla comment when he made it--but I also commented on how unlike him that was--usually when he talks behind people's backs it's in a more analytical game playing mode- or, you feel, in an effort to keep his sanity, as in his discussions of Phillip. He's a "student of the game" and I find what he has to say about people's game playing interesting. He's also, for a self proclaimed nerd, very good at ingratiating himself with others. His first season he was kind of the joker or fool, that was his version of UTR. Other contestants find him either nice or amusing or both. In short, his social graces may not be "traditional", like Malcolm's, but he's got them. He's also very overtly competitive in his comments to the audience--big surprise if he's a Harvard Law student--you have to have a fair amount of drive to get there.
    Julia may be just as competitive (given her background it's hard to believe she isn't!), but she's not as good or entertaining at expressing it apparently, as she gets little camera time---in part I'm sure because of the black hole that is Phillp, but also because she just doesn't seem to have "it" in terms of a camera personality. Contrast with Sherri for example, also a Fan. And apparently she's also not expressing herself to her teammates, or at least her new teammates, the former favs. Maybe she thinks being a Stanford student and race car driver will make her look too threatening to the others so she just clams up...? Or she's shy? Who knows, but she didn't come across on camera, nor in person apparently. Maybe if she'd let out more of the post game Julia on camera or in camp she wouldn't have seemed so dull. As it was, she was so UTR to us I never even knew her name until now.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    maul52---I criticized Cochran for that vanilla comment when he made it--but I also commented on how unlike him that was--usually when he talks behind people's backs it's in a more analytical game playing mode- or, you feel, in an effort to keep his sanity, as in his discussions of Phillip. He's a "student of the game" and I find what he has to say about people's game playing interesting. He's also, for a self proclaimed nerd, very good at ingratiating himself with others. His first season he was kind of the joker or fool, that was his version of UTR. Other contestants find him either nice or amusing or both. In short, his social graces may not be "traditional", like Malcolm's, but he's got them. He's also very overtly competitive in his comments to the audience--big surprise if he's a Harvard Law student--you have to have a fair amount of drive to get there.
    Julia may be just as competitive (given her background it's hard to believe she isn't!), but she's not as good or entertaining at expressing it apparently, as she gets little camera time---in part I'm sure because of the black hole that is Phillp, but also because she just doesn't seem to have "it" in terms of a camera personality. Contrast with Sherri for example, also a Fan. And apparently she's also not expressing herself to her teammates, or at least her new teammates, the former favs. Maybe she thinks being a Stanford student and race car driver will make her look too threatening to the others so she just clams up...? Or she's shy? Who knows, but she didn't come across on camera, nor in person apparently. Maybe if she'd let out more of the post game Julia on camera or in camp she wouldn't have seemed so dull. As it was, she was so UTR to us I never even knew her name until now.
    PWS..I respect you for what you said about Julia's degree in your previous post. My main argument is that if you watch the footage on CBS.com that doesn't get aired then you will see that not all of the "boring" contestants that get little air time are represented accurately on the show. Obviously I am in the minority because I am the viewer that would watch every episode of Survivor at least twice even if it were on for 2 hours a night 7 nights a week. Even Cochran seemed rather dull on his first season until he switched things up by betraying his tribe full of people that did nothing but ridicule him. Perception is not always reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast