+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Brandon - Caramoan (Favorite)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Brandon - Caramoan (Favorite)

Quote Originally Posted by rockster View Post
    That's true, I'll agree with that. Matter of fact, since he had threatened to do that before, somebody should've been ready to physically stop him when he got to the actual point of doing it. It's funny how Philip was talking big about how he could take down Brandon physically, but when he should've, he just sat back and watched.
    I think they've all been strongly warned about physical contact during a confrontation. Phillip may be nutso in his own way, but he's in enough control to keep it verbal. Phillip is a lot bigger than Brandon, has a longer reach, and is quite strong, plus has whatever special fighting skills he had from his days as a spy (if any)....I'm pretty sure he could have held his own with Brandon, but why get into a situation where Phillip might be tossed for making contact with Brandon....far better to let him melt down. You'll notice that after the rice was dumped, which took everyone by surprise, when he started after the smaller basket, with the beans I think, Eric tried to stop him, but was being careful to just try to grab the basket/bag of beans, NOT Brandon, which of course would have been more effective in stopping him.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I think they've all been strongly warned about physical contact during a confrontation. Phillip may be nutso in his own way, but he's in enough control to keep it verbal. Phillip is a lot bigger than Brandon, has a longer reach, and is quite strong, plus has whatever special fighting skills he had from his days as a spy (if any)....I'm pretty sure he could have held his own with Brandon, but why get into a situation where Phillip might be tossed for making contact with Brandon....far better to let him melt down. You'll notice that after the rice was dumped, which took everyone by surprise, when he started after the smaller basket, with the beans I think, Eric tried to stop him, but was being careful to just try to grab the basket/bag of beans, NOT Brandon, which of course would have been more effective in stopping him.
    Contact is allowed just not hitting. I have watched enough Survivor and Real World Road Rules Challenges. Come on there are a lot of physical challenges in Survivor and all the contestants are holding each other. I am sure if Brandon tried to get into it with Phillip and all Phillip or anyone else did is restrain him the only person getting eliminated is the one doing the hitting.

As far as no one physically restraining Brandon I don't think anyone wanted to get near him because they were afraid he would go off. Still if he tried to burn down the hut someone or a few someones would have stepped in to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    Jeff did an interview after the episode and said that they had security and the mental health therapist there when this was going down. So, I think Jeff was trying to keep Brandon calm enough to get through the abbreviated tribal council and then get him over to the people who could help him. Jeff may have been massaging Brandon's shoulders (which is calming in itself) but he also had both hands on Brandon's shoulders so he could hold onto him if Brandon decided to charge at Phillip. Not a comfortable position for Jeff at all, but he did an excellent job.

That said - this still should NOT have happened. TPTB better take a long hard look at their screening process
    The beauty of Survivor is that it is unpredictable. Jeff and others have mentioned how rigorous their screening process is and how many interviews all the players go through as well as psychological tests. Jeff has spent hours with everyone by the time they get to a location, that's what gives Jeff some insight into his picks how well folks will do. In fact Shamar was a favorite of Jeff's and he thought that Shamar would do quite well on Survivor due to being a veteran and in fact Jeff thought that Shamar would be a leader someone the others would look up to and be a fan favorite. Jeff mentioned that he was shocked that Shamar behaved the way he did once he was on the island. Again and again Jeff has mentioned in interviews that you can never predict how people will behave once the game starts.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Arielflies likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

It's hard to believe they were surprised by how Brandon behaved. Sorry but I don't buy their excuse that they "carefully screen contestants." If they had, Brandon would not have been on once let alone twice.

It's all about the ratings.
    holly71 and JohnnyK like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

When Brandon comes back for the third time, he'll seriously injure one of the other contestants. But who cares, it gives them ratings!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    When Brandon comes back for the third time, he'll seriously injure one of the other contestants. But who cares, it gives them ratings!
    I doubt he will be back.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I seriously doubt that Brandon will be back. I'm a die hard Survivor fan and I've strongly disliked contestants before - Na'Onka, Colton, Russell, Abi Maria, etc. However, this is the first time that I've flat out decided that Survivor has crossed the line. I WILL NOT watch if Brandon is brought back. Plus, from what I've read posted on various forums, I am not alone.
    jh2467 likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My take on Brandon's "meltdown" is the whole thing was fake. No, not by the producers but by Brandon himself. He was not that angry. I've seen bi-polar meltdowns, too, (my mother) and he wasn't even close to having a bi-polar episode. He looked like half the time he was trying to bite back a smile. He was trying to outdo Uncle Willie, IMO. Trying to live up to his surname, cause a stir. Even when he was tossing out the food, he wasn't raging around. More like fumbling.
    Lil Bit, Hyper, Arielflies and 1 others like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

And don't forget the occasional glance to confirm that the camera was pointing at him.
    judibug and jucamer like this.

I agree with others - he won't be back. Starters, even if the "rage" was fake - he could've caused harm to others (and did technically by dumping out the rice and beans. This makes it difficult to salvage and - given they're in a foreign country, makes an even greater risk of illness on top of what they do on the show).

Second, WHY RISK a lawsuit if someone DID get hurt by his actions? Even with a waiver of liability, this would be an INTENTIONAL introduction of potential harm - they now know he's potentially dangerous. Court would probably rule in favor of the plaintiff who was injured regardless.

Third - people will walk away from the show if any Hantz again is cast given how Russell and Brandon and even Willie on "BB" have behaved. But if "Survivor" wishes to commit suicide trying to bring in ratings with unlikable people, they're free to do so.

I don’t think what we saw was fake, but the immunity challenge scenes were only semi-spontaneous on Brandon’s part since Jeff had already met with Brandon ahead of time. I assume Jeff told Brandon he would have an opportunity to vent if he could control himself, and I think Brandon desperately wanted to do exactly that and had thought at some length what points he wanted to get across.

I'm addicted. So I'll watch if he comes back but I really hope he doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread