+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Survivor: Philippines Pool

Re: Survivor: Philippines Pool

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I know it's impossible to do in this medium, but I ran a Survivor Pool at work & I put all the names in a hat. Everyone drew 1 name & when your person got booted off, you paid $10. The person left standing at the end won $150. It was pretty fun, you ended up rooting for someone you didn't even like sometimes.
    Thats how we do our pool. $10 gets you a player. We draw out of a hat and you get who you get. I don't know how many seasons I have been running it, but I have yet to win, although we now have two people who have won twice. Apparently they visualize themselves winning...
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

I regret that I don't think I'd feel comfortable playing in a randomly picked pool. I just cannot root for people whose behavior I find reprehensible, so if everyone decides they want this, I'll have to sit it out.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Don't worrry, Florimel. Survivor: Caramoan will not be done by random draw.

I do have a few changes in mind, though. I'm going to slim down some of the points categories, removing points for speaking first at tribal, voting first, and other random events. I'm putting more emphasis on castaways remaining in the game to reach certain milestones, like making it to the merge, getting to the family visit episode, etc. My points categories for the hidden immunity idol haven't been used as much as I had anticipated so next time around, all that will earn points is when a castaway uses an immunity idol at tribal council. Doesn't matter who found it, who they told about it, or how successful playing it was. If the idol is never used, the person who found it won't get any points for it.

Also, instead of having a week midway through the game to make tribe changes, you'll pick two alternates when you choose the members of your tribe. When someone on your tribe gets voted out, your first alternate will join your tribe. When you lose a second person, your second alternate will come into play. If both of your alternates leave the game before the starting members of your tribe, you're just out of luck.

I'm still waiting to get more information about Survivor Caramoan but will post a points schedule and registration information before the show starts in February.
    Hyper likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I was just thinking that I might try the random draw. Not that everyone should.

I might do random draw too, as I'm terribly indecisive

I like the changes, pikachu. Especially the alternates.
    "I know the ocean by heart." -David, BB15

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

BTW, do you all like having a results narrative like I've been doing (mentioning tribes that are moving up or down the leaderboard and announcing who got the highest weekly score) or would you rather just have the scores alone? I can post pool results faster without doing the narrative but I don't mind doing the narrative. I find it kind of fun to write. I can skip it, though, if people want "Just the facts, ma'am".
    JLuvs likes this.

I love your narratives, pikachu. If you don't mind doing them, I'll enjoy reading them.
    Hyper and JohnnyK like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'd like your narratives a lot better if they included me being somewhere other than mid to bottom. Ha!

PS: I still don't understand how I could have 3 of the final 4, Malcom, Denise & Skupin & still finish so far down the list. Perhaps the scoring changes will take care of some of that discrepancy?
    Last edited by razorbacker; 12-21-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Pikachu I really like the suggested changes. Picking your alternatives at the start sounds like a good plan. I also agree with Razorbacker that cutting out some of the scoring points would make a difference in the rankings more accurately reflecting who the finalists are. And please continue your narratives if you have time. Thanks again for all your effort!
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

+ Reply to Thread