+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Lisa - Philippines

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Lisa - Philippines

If she just prays about it to herself it's her business....she could also pray for people to be able to change their race or their sex and have as much luck...but in some cases people send their gay kids to "camps" to be prayed over...or force them into therapy to be "fixed"....that seems to me like emotional (at the least) child abuse, so I guess I'd want to hear where she stands on that kind of thing. I was sympathetic to her before, as I usually am to the "old woman" on a tribe, less so now.

What are the child discipline issues mentioned above?
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I watched her growing up, but I'm definitely not impressed with her now. She's got some, um, interesting ideas about disciplining her children. I guess her kids are her business, but she's also a homophobe who thinks therapy can "fix" gays. She and Jeff Kent should get along just fine. He made quite a large donation to support Prop 8.
    I cannot ignore someone's bigotry in or outside the game. I don't think either will last that long. Lisa has already started off on the wrong foot and Jeff may have damaged his knee too badly to perform well.

I remember the character of Blair from the "Facts of Life" never liked her...but Lisa herself seems very sweet...so don't know what to make of comments that she is some sort of bigot...it would seem to be in character for Blair...but does not seem to fit Lisa...so until I actually witness her acting a certain way...I will continiue to root for her on the show

Too be honest I didn't recognize her. I recognize the actress's who plays Mindy and Tootie but properly not Blair or Jo.

Oh, in her photo you can see her deltoid in the bent arm so she is somewhat fit.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I like that Lisa got that crying jag out of the way quickly and hope that her part in the team win will boost her confidence. I'm just wondering why she's not looking at this as a role to play, though? She commented how she's been on her own, hard to trust people, when she acts she can be social (paraphrasing because I forget exactly what she said). Kinda hated how she kept implying Survivor is "real life" and hoping she figures out a character to play to get through it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I had exactly the same thought! Maybe she's not very good at improvising lines and can only act with a script.

Some actors are good at improv, others need a script. I was the latter and always did better with a script.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Well, I guess I like Lisa other than the bigotry. But the bigotry in its own is something I really can't go with.

Lisa is welcome to pray for my gay brother all she likes, but I highly doubt it will change his orientation. What people pray about in private is private, and I respect that.

It does, however, indicate an intolerance of others' choices and lifestyle, and that I have a little more of a problem with.

What really bothers me, though, is having read up on Lisa's "child rearing" practices, which she outlined in her book Creative Correction: extraordinary ideas for child rearing. Her advocation of "hot sauce parenting" is just over the top and is child abuse, IMO. I am sure others won't share my view of this, but while it doesn't leave bruises on the outside, it is abusive, even if she recommends "just a drop" and says you can use vinegar or lemon juice as alternatives, it's demeaning and controlling and, frankly, not very good parenting. She has some interesting ideas about how children should behave. Her ideas on child rearing are the complete opposite of my own and personally I think there is something seriously wrong in your house if you have to resort to the methods she uses to control her children.

That said, I did feel a little sorry for her last episode. But really, how hard is it to just sit by the fire or in the shelter making small talk?? Unless you have a significant personality disorder, it cannot be that hard to appear to be social, or at least appear like you're making the effort to be social. Her going off on her own and crying constantly is impacting her game and she has nobody to blame for that but herself. I understand that her marriage had just recently fallen apart and of course that would be very difficult to just set aside during the game, but perhaps this wasn't the best time to go off and be on Survivor if that's the case.

Either she figures it out and gets back in the game, or she'll be gone. Unless Abi goes off the deep end and then she'll be safe for at least one vote.
    Shoepie and nataweee like this.

That said, I did feel a little sorry for her last episode. But really, how hard is it to just sit by the fire or in the shelter making small talk?? Unless you have a significant personality disorder, it cannot be that hard to appear to be social, or at least appear like you're making the effort to be social. Her going off on her own and crying constantly is impacting her game and she has nobody to blame for that but herself. I understand that her marriage had just recently fallen apart and of course that would be very difficult to just set aside during the game, but perhaps this wasn't the best time to go off and be on Survivor if that's the case.
    That was less then 3 minutes, I am sure all that went down in those hours and hours in the rain is on the cutting room floor.I think this is exactly what she needs, if her marriage ended, her life has to start again.I say Go Lisa. I am 100% behind her.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread