+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bill - One World

Re: Bill - One World

Colten certainly isn't worth going to prison for.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Replace the spit with poison and we're good.
    No, better idea---you all did see or read The Help, right?
    sweetpea, justCoz and mesachick like this.

an exit interview:

Exit interview with Bill Posley: His response to the critics - National survivor | Examiner.com

Bill Posley seemed and is a nice enough guy, a laid-back Survivor player whose goal was to make people laugh and blend in. He is a stand-up comedian, after all. But Bill was grouped in early with the "muscle" alliance, and after Matt was voted out last week, he was truly in the Manono minority.

Perhaps his biggest problem was that the self-proclaimed Island Queen, Colton Cumbie, had it out for him from the beginning. The two clashed pretty hard, and last night Colton lashed out some serious insults in Bill's direction, commenting on Bill's career choices and his personality. Some racially insensitive things were said. To Bill's credit, he seemed to want to take the high road, and in his final speech said this about Colton: "He judged me for my differences, and I accept him for his."

Despite Bill's likeability though, his decision to agree to give up tribal Immunity to go to Tribal Council will go down as one of the worst, dumbest, and self-defeating decisions in the history of Survivor.
    Advertisement

I spoke to Bill today, as he responded to his critics, and talks about his decisions in the game as well as his feud with Colton.

Bill, you were very well liked by many fans, and you definitely showed some integrity with your final words of last night's episode. But many have called your decision to willingly go to Tribal Council the "worst" and even "the dumbest" move in Survivor history. How do you respond to that?

Bill Posley: I would say that had my plan worked, to show them that Colton was bad for our tribe and that he needed to go, and had my plan worked? What turns out to be the dumbest move in history turns out to be the greatest move ever made. You know what I mean? There is a fine line between stupidity and genius, and I just fell on the wrong side of that.

How shocked were you to hear how Colton was talking about you on the show?

When I heard the ghetto trash comment in the confessionals, I openly laughed out loud. People were like, what are you laughing at? And I said, if Colton's perception of a ghetto black person is me? Then he is in for a rude awakening when he ventures out into the real world. I was actually very grateful that he said it, because him calling me ghetto trash, or ghetto at all, gave me a lot of street cred in the black community (laughs).

Talk about your decision to agree to go to Tribal Council.

I thought that being there, I could convince the people I was aligned with to blindside Colton, and to send him home with the Idol. It just didn't pan out. I thought that I had guys like Jonas and Troy, and Jay, and Big Mike in my corner on this.

But you knew Colton had been targeting you. Why even take the risk of putting yourself at Tribal Council?

Because I'm already on the chopping block, I'm already in their sites. I thought it was a risk worth taking. I assume that Colton thought he was fine, that somebody else would be getting voted off. So why not take a chance?

The previews of next week's episode show that there may be tribal shake-up. Do you have any regrets with your decision, knowing now that had you of stayed in the game, your situation may have improved?

In hindsight, it's weighing the options. I didn't know that there was going to be a tribal swap going into it. But no, I don't have any regrets about it. Me exiting the way I did last night makes me proud of how I played the game.

Are you concerned at all about the legacy of your actions, that in 24 seasons no tribe has ever won Immunity and then agreed to go to Tribal Council?

I know this sounds weird, but I would rather make history and try to risk making a big move, than to have gone off quietly, and not have had any effect on this game. I mean, I'd rather have a stamp on this. But I kind of wanted to be one of the memorable ones. But look, if they were willing to get rid of me [like they did], then they would have been willing to throw the following challenge to get rid of me. Had that not of all happened, I wouldn't have been at Tribal Council, and nobody would have seen me. I would rather have happen what did last night - me be seen in the eyes of integrity and class - than me just have gone off this quiet guy who maybe was loud a few times, and had this weird British accent once or twice.

Talk a minute about Tarzan, who added in his two cents at Tribal Council last night as well. Is he really like what we see on the show?

Tarzan is what you call a smart dumb person. He is literally like, one of the most intelligent people you will ever meet. We all know that when you're a plastic surgeon, you are very, very intelligent in that sense. However, I don't think the guy could find his way out of a paper bag, just the street smarts aren't there...He may be even too smart for himself.

How did it go from Colton wanting to hang out all day with the women, to him being the dominant figure at the men's tribe?

The one thing I do want to make clear is, because I was not in that alliance, I didn't know the amount of power he had. So when I went to Tribal Council, I thought that I had friends. I just got blindsided. I didn't know the power he had. Sitting here watching it, he's commanding Mike to bring Leif over, and I was like, what? That's like when I called him a spoiled brat, I was like, am I the only one out here who feels like that needs to be said?

Was there anything you could have done to flush out Colton's Idol?

I don't know what I could have done. I saw him as a very selfish, self-centered, self-seeking person. He has no integrity, no loyalty, and doesn't care about anything but himself. So I thought that when it came time at Tribal Council for my alliance to back me, that they would. But they didn't. I don't know what else I could have done.

How hard was it to keep your composure as Colton was saying those things about you?

It wasn't too hard. And the reason is because my whole life, I was a fat kid...I was 250 pounds my whole life until I was 17, I went to the Army and lost all the weight, and I've been picked on my whole life. I've dealt with racism before as an African-American person, and my mom being half-white, my dad being half-black. Being in the military, picked on by drill sargeants. So I've been picked on my whole life. So to sit there in the face of all that and keep my cool, it wasn't that hard. I know that he comes from a place of ignorance, and a place of being spoiled and sheltered, not from a place of hatred and racism, I don't think.

What was the reaction to last night's episode from people in your personal life, and your fans? Positive? Negative?

It was like nothing I could have ever expected in my entire life. It has been so positive. I have had so many touching things written to me, from people who want to pursue their dreams. Like, had I not gone to Tribal Council I wouldn't have even said those things. There were people who were like, thank you, it reminds me of why I follow my dreams. Thank you, for having integrity and being who you are. All of those kind-hearted words. Being a good guy you may not win at Survivor, but you'll have a better life.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Exit interview with Bill Posley: His response to the critics - National survivor | Examiner.com Exit interview with Bill Posley: His response to the critics - National survivor | Examiner.com
    Really liked the one paragraph where he describes himself as an ex fat kid etc...

As a bit of a sidebar Bill comments that his mom is half white and his dad is half black, what does that mean exactly? Thanks in advance.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I know what a fail Redemption Island was, but just this once, I wish it was still in play so Bill could come back and take down Colton. *sigh*
    Longhornfan likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Bringing this over from the 3/7 show discussion thread (thanks for the suggestion, Longhornfan):

In this interview with Gordon Holmes, Bill said he wanted to go to Tribal Council because he was campaigning hard to get the others to vote out Colton. It is a long interview. Here is a small part of it:

Holmes: I think what stuck with me the most was when Colton attacked your career choice. That was just oddly out-of-leftfield and personal. What was going through your mind when he decided to go there?
    Posley: I’m sitting there going, “This guy knows absolutely nothing about me and he’s making judgments.” One of the things I kept from the group was that I was in the Army, that I was a veteran. And he’s sitting there saying, “You’re just sleeping on people’s couches, you’re blah blah blah.” I wanted to explode and be like, “The truth of the matter is; all these freedoms that you get to enjoy, I fought for them. I risked my life for you. And for you to sit up here and tell me to get off of people’s couches? I fought for the right to do that.”
    Holmes: Dah…you should have said that.
    Posley: I didn’t end up saying that because I didn’t want to reveal that. But I was sitting there biting my tongue, thinking “For you to be in a country where you can be openly gay and you can go to school and say what you want? Freedom of speech? Freedom of religion? That’s why I defended this country. And for you to judge me for living it?” I couldn’t believe it.

‘Survivor: One World’ Castaway Interview – Bill Posley | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast
    Last edited by mushybrain; 03-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Longhornfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    an exit interview:

Exit interview with Bill Posley: His response to the critics - National survivor | Examiner.com

Really liked the one paragraph where he describes himself as an ex fat kid etc...

As a bit of a sidebar Bill comments that his mom is half white and his dad is half black, what does that mean exactly? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, that part confused me too, that he described them that way. Not sure what that means?
    The other thing that sounded odd to me was that his plan going in was to make Colton look bad or expose him ... that is not how it was portrayed at all. Does anyone else buy that, or does it seem like a seemingly-plausible story now that he's home and had time to think?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, they have to cut a lot....boy, the editors must have been going crazy that week deciding what to cut...so much "good" material! Also, unless he did a private discussion with the camera I'm not sure what kind of proof there would be, unless they caught him trying to round up a group of co conspirators. I have to say I always wonder how you can have any kind of "conspiracy"--anytime anything interesting starts the cameras start to roll--big tip off. I can't believe they film every boring conversation that goes on.

I have read several interviews and Bill is pretty consistent in what he says. I think we need a 2 hour Survivor to get all the little tidbits we don't see.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

In any normal world Bill did expose Colton at TC for being a hateful bigot and a megalomaniac. It's only in the apparent Bizzaroworld that exists on this version of Survivor would people like Tarzan go off on a rant supporting Colton while the others sit there silently. Gah.

Oh, and I would dearly love to have a season with no stupid self-appointed nicknames, please. Boo, Dreamz, Papa Bear, Shambo, Coach, Tarzan, Troyzan...boys and girls, your mothers gave you names at birth...use them!!
    Lil Bit and mushybrain like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123