+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: 12/18 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 12/18 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I know a lot of folks with poor posture who aren't computer junkies. Honestly, I don't think it's fair to criticize Sophie's posture...she won Survivor. She won 3 Immunity Challenges (one against the Great and Powerful Oz). She earned her props.
    When a person is on a reality tv show they open themselves up for all types of pokes that is the nature of the beast. At least Sophie was physically more capable than Cochran and he too had horrible posture.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Tom Westman. I don't remember him ever lying, cheating or misleading anyone at all. He was even upfront with everyone about to be voted out.
    He was just the ultimate leader & great in challenges. He had everyone's respect in the end.
    The only two I know - Sandra (and yes both games) and Tom. Ethan also played it overall without those factors and Tina (though Tina was fortunate to have a friend in Colby).

Sandra is also the only one I know of who played the social game and won with it twice. The only challenge I think she came close to winning was that stacking challenge - well until that stack fell then it was more half-hearted.
    sweetpea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    Just my opinion, but I found this to be a horrible final 3 and I can't remember who said it, but one of the jury members said something to the effect that they found it hard to write anyone of the final 3's name down. I myself, was thinking that none of the above should have been a category. LOL My only redemption was the fact that Ozzy won the Sprint player. I felt better knowing other's felt he should have been the winner of it all.
    Except I don't think they can discuss possible final votes, I would've loved to have seen all three get three votes each and seen what the tiebreaker was. It'd been funny that if they had the same vote, the million was divided up by the jury and each of them get say 20K. That'd been the way to end up with a funny end to a weird season.

An interview with Sophie:

Winning Survivor: South Pacific with Sophie Clarke

Winning Survivor: South Pacific with Sophie Clarke
    Posted 20 hours ago by Reg Seeton

Medical student Sophie Clarke was voted the winner of Survivor: South Pacific on Sunday night after a surprising live finale in which Clarke beat Survivor finalists Coach Ben wade and fellow tribe mate Albert Destrade.

Although it appeared that Sophie would likely lose out to Survivor all-stars Ozzy Lusth and Coach, Clarke turned the tables on Ozzy at the right moment by winning the final challenge of Survivor: South Pacific. With Ozzy out of the game, Sophie went to the Survivor: South Pacific finale with Coach and Albert, who both came out on the wrong side of the votes when Sophie was awarded the $1 million prize and title of sole Survivor.

The day after winning Survivor: South Pacific, The Deadbolt spent a few exit minutes with Sophie Clarke to learn more about her time on Survivor, how she feels about Brandon Hantz, and her thoughts on Coach and his Survivor gameplay.

THE DEADBOLT: Since your social game was brought up a lot in the finale, how do you look at yourself now that youíve won and itís all over?

SOPHIE CLARKE: [laughs] Iím looking at my check right now and I feel pretty good. I think I learned a lot about myself out there and I donít think itís all bad. I just think that in the context of Survivor my bluntness and my not so warm and fuzzy personality, didnít help me.

But I know that Iím not a mean person or a bad person. Weíre all friends now. But yeah, I definitely learned a lot about how I make first impressions.

THE DEADBOLT: After you saw the interaction between Brandon and Russell, how has your view of Brandon changed?

SOPHIE: I think that Brandon got a bad rap. If Brandon had made the final three, I think I wouldíve voted for him. I think Coach said it best, that Brandon has a lot of inner demons. You know, heís a young kid. Heís 19-years old and he has a wife and two kids. I think that Brandon is always really well meaning and Brandon has had a tough life. Most of the time he is a true gentleman and I formed a very unlikely friendship with Brandon.

THE DEADBOLT: Coachís style of play has never led to the million dollars. What do you see as the major problem with his strategy?

SOPHIE: I mean, what Survivor has never ever not broken a promise and really played a loyal game? That also applies to life. Coach wants to just go out there and have a blast and live for 39 days and be handed a million bucks. The whole point of Survivor is that you have to back-stab people. You have to vote people out and then convince them to give you the money.

Coach, although heís changed since his first season, he finally managed to do that. He finally did mange to, with the help of other people, play a semi-strategic game. His downfall is that he doesnít want to admit that he was disloyal or that he did not keep his integrity intact. If he had said, ďYeah, I manipulated you. I used religion. I used [more],Ē he would be a million dollars richer right now. Not that I think he wouldíve deserved it.
    THE DEADBOLT: Do you think he makes promises when he doesnít really have to at the time?

SOPHIE: Yeah, I think that Coach is really well meaning. But itís hard to believe a lot of what Coach says. I still donít understand Coach. I mean, a physiatrist explained it to me, but I think he likes to be a grandiose guy. He likes to make huge promises and he likes to make big statements and I think heís not always thinking of the repercussions. He thinks very short term.
    I do like what she said about Brandon and she has an interesting take on Coach. Just from how she says it, I guess she didn't like what she saw on TV as the episodes do imply Coach was the mastermind, the cult leader. You can hear the resentment in her voice and in how she replies. This does not take away anything from her as the winner it just shows that there is a lot more that goes on that we viewers never see.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-20-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    livin4reality, Shoepie and ilja like this.

I do think that Ozzy said one of the smartest things about religion in his commentary about Brandon after Brandon got voted off and came to Redemption Island. I am paraphrasing Ozzy who said that Brandon was playing the belief strategy and the while it is OK to trust in God you cannot use that same belief system when dealing with your fellow man. That your fellow man will lie, cheat and backstab you for the million dollars. Wow, how insightful.

When Jeff went out to talk to Russell he said I am Uncle Russell first and it is up to Brandon. Brandon never said no and then Jeff went on to talk to Russell. I truly believe Brandon is not telling the entire truth about why his family was not there.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I do think that Ozzy said one of the smartest things about religion in his commentary about Brandon after Brandon got voted off and came to Redemption Island. I am paraphrasing Ozzy who said that Brandon was playing the belief strategy and the while it is OK to trust in God you cannot use that same belief system when dealing with your fellow man. That your fellow man will lie, cheat and backstab you for the million dollars. Wow, how insightful.
    Yes, bear, that was an astute observation on Ozzy's part. He said that Brandon was playing the game as if he were playing with God, not with mere mortal men and women who were greedy and wanted to win a million dollars.
    ilja likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I'm often dumbfounded by these Survivor jurors. While they themselves would have lied or thrown someone under the proverbial bus (or did), they often can't understand being lied to or thrown under the bus. And often those judging WOULD have done the same things as they criticize the F3's for doing, they just didn't get the opportunity.

The Bitter Jury Award will always go to Russel's first season, when they gave the win to Natalie over Russel - they all took the bait, played along, threw others under the bus, and were happy with that - until it happened to them. Love him or hate him (I'm neutral), he literally orchestrated the game, and took his tribe into a merge with only 4 members and still marched (or slithered) with his team to the victory. Then, at F3, Russel was considered Satan's spawn. The jurors couldn't get past the fact that they'd been played and used. Boo-hoo. I think the only thing that made Russel so universally despised is that he so universally screwed everybody over. And in Survivor....in the end game if you're up for the win, that shouldn't be a penalty - if somebody beats you, you should give them credit for that.

Poor Edna said it best - bless her, she had the best Jury "non-question" ever! Can't remember the exact wording, but it was like the game involves lying and deceit, expect it. Now THAT's how a Juror should think. Survivor isn't a game for nice guys.
    I agree Edna is the most reasonably level-headed juror I've seen on this show any season save the exception of Alicia in season 2 because there Alicia said honestly that she felt her vote out was out of respect for her gameplay.

And yes, Russell's first tribal was by far the most bitter jury every. I DO feel that he should've won that season - his other two? - no, even with Sandra winning for a second time. That one, he should've taken in some knowledge if he felt he hadn't won the previous season that he needed to up the social game at least a little bit. He didn't and he lost, and he will CONTINUE to lose if he keeps playing because he doesn't even have a smidge of a social game. Even with Sophie here we saw a glint of one. I don't think his brother could win either because you can tell it's a brother thing.

My final jury question would be a bit odd but a logical one - I'm honored to at least be in the jury and get to vote for the winner. You have played the best you can to make it this far. That said, here's my question - If the roles were reversed - if I was in your spot and you were in the jury - what would you be saying or asking me to see if I'm worthy of your vote? I'd reward the person who gave me the most honest answer, even if it were a bitter betty response (well OK I'll admit there it'd be if the other two were fake or insincere answers).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Yes, bear, that was an astute observation on Ozzy's part. He said that Brandon was playing the game as if he were playing with God, not with mere mortal men and women who were greedy and wanted to win a million dollars.
    When you sign on for a game show to win a million, I don't see that as greed. I see it as a goal oriented endeavor. You play to win, that is why you are there.

I like what Sophie said in her interview. You cannot be loyal or avoid manipulation in this game.

Integrity can be defined in many ways depending on the situation. I think she is correct that Coach may have won had he admitted that his behavior was all about stratedgy. "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it".....Joeseph Goebbels. Admitting this would have made him go down in castaway history.

Did anyone say why Brandon's wife was not there?
    SugarMama likes this.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

So sorry to see Ozzy defeated for a third time. Great player! Happy for Sophie, though.
    sweetpea likes this.

+ Reply to Thread