+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Albert could have given up the necklace at that point. I think after the votes one can play the immunity idol, but that the option of giving up the necklace is pre-vote, as it is after he asks the holder if s/he wants to give it up that Jeff says, OK, you can't vote for XX, but anyone else is fair game. Let's vote....
    That's true - it's only the HII that can be used once votes have been cast.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

My daughter mentioned that Coach is starting to look certifiably nuts on the island. When he was talking about how he wasn't happy Brandon won immunity, he had a crazy look in his eye. I think he's taking this whole thing waaaayy too seriously, frankly, and he's really showing a messed up side of himself with the way he's using religion as a way to absolve himself from abusing his "honour and integrity" mantra in order to further himself in the game and get closer to winning a million bucks. Because that's what this show is about. The only person I truly don't think sees it that way right now is Brandon.

I believe Brandon is still looking for a strong father/mentor figure to guide him and unfortunately he landed on Coach's tribe. Coach has been happy to do so, but has lied to him (about finding the HII) and broken his promises (voting him out because "God" told him to) I feel badly for Brandon watching the show now, and realizing he was played by Coach practically the whole time.

I was really cheering though when Brandon put Coach on the spot at TC. The jury wasn't buying what Coach was selling, though, and you could tell Coach knew it. I wouldn't be surprised though if Brandon still voted to give Coach the $$ if he makes the F3. He's loyal to a fault.
    AZChristian likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    at the Ozzy mention.

I think we have had plenty of religious contestants in the past who have been quite sane about their religion. Whether Christian, Jewish or Muslim or whatever, it's fine by me. I think it's a real part of who people are, and I find it interesting when there's a cross-section.
    But you're right, God does not need to be hauled out every five minutes, and it's even worse when his name is used in the glory of someone else... (cough, Coach). There is something so insidious in the way Coach has used his religion to satisfy his glory and greed. It's about as ugly as ugly Christianity can get.
    I'm a Christian, and I tell you, I've never fallen on my knees during a game of Monopoly to beseech God's will concerning a certain piece of property. If a Survivor contestant, I would be sure pray for strength out there, and perhaps to conduct myself in a gracious manner... all while I played the game just as hard as anyone ever has. Brandon's got it twisted, unfortunately for the kid, and if Coach wasn't so nuts, I would say he's bordering on evil.
    I'm also a Christian, and have been interested in everyone's views as to its place in a tv show. I agree, Spockwhat, that praying for strength and/or wisdom would fall into what (IMO) most mature Christians would do, because a personal relationship with God is the biggest part of who we are. This whole "pretense" of praying every time the camera turns on borders on blasphemy. Those who are "using" Christian faith as an act or to manipulate others are - in effect - taking the Lord's name in vain (one of the Big Ten "no-no's"). Brandon appears to be immature in all areas of his life, and markedly so in regards to the practice of his faith. It's not up to me to judge the intent of Coach's heart, but his new-found "praying at the drop of a hat" persona appears to be an affectation. And it's the kind of behavior that causes those who are not Christians to look at us and say, "See . . . they're all manipulating whackos."

I sincerely hope that Brandon gets a mature, Christian male mentor in his life after leaving "Survivor." He is searching for something that will help his life to go in a direction other than the way it started, and with the examples that appear to be available in his family, he's going to have to go somewhere else to find that role model. Kurt Warner - this kid needs you!!!!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Oh, I forgot to mention, but Sophie really did well in this episode... at tribal she did exactly what she needed to do, distancing herself from Albert, Coach, and Brandon... with a few well placed eyerolls.
    Arielflies likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Can you imagine Christmas at the Hantz's?
    Awww! I bet Christmas at the Hantz's is a hoot! I would join them in a heartbeat.

I kind of had a crush on Russell. He had the prettiest blue eyes and I loved his focus and determination in the game.

Brandon isn't anywhere near Russell's level of gameplay. He's like a little lost dog looking for some nice person to pet him, despite the fact that he's smelly, mangy, flea-ridden and likely to bite without provocation.

Yep, Brandon's theme song should be "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog".
    Last edited by pikachu; 12-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm also a Christian, and have been interested in everyone's views as to its place in a tv show. I agree, Spockwhat, that praying for strength and/or wisdom would fall into what (IMO) most mature Christians would do, because a personal relationship with God is the biggest part of who we are. This whole "pretense" of praying every time the camera turns on borders on blasphemy. Those who are "using" Christian faith as an act or to manipulate others are - in effect - taking the Lord's name in vain (one of the Big Ten "no-no's"). Brandon appears to be immature in all areas of his life, and markedly so in regards to the practice of his faith. It's not up to me to judge the intent of Coach's heart, but his new-found "praying at the drop of a hat" persona appears to be an affectation. And it's the kind of behavior that causes those who are not Christians to look at us and say, "See . . . they're all manipulating whackos."

I sincerely hope that Brandon gets a mature, Christian male mentor in his life after leaving "Survivor." He is searching for something that will help his life to go in a direction other than the way it started, and with the examples that appear to be available in his family, he's going to have to go somewhere else to find that role model. Kurt Warner - this kid needs you!!!!
    I agree regarding Brandon, he seriously needs some normal people in his life...

I'm not too worried that people will think Christians are all wackos because of a couple of guys on a reality show. There have been plenty of sane religious people on all kinds of reality shows to give us some balance. People who stereotype, will stereotype about all kinds of things, and nothing is going to change that anyway... so whatever.

Watching last night, I have to say Brandon has now made Erik's move redundant in the stupidest move on the show. I mean - honestly the fellow he gave it to was going to be voted out most likely, and is honestly more of a threat to win than Coach is. I like he tries to do the right thing - refreshing compared to his uncle, but it has severely hurt his game. He'd have to hope that he got Coach and Albert to have a chance - because he at least played with his heart and stayed true, which is what jurors tend to respect.

Then again - I think all of them know that if whomever wins this last redemption island makes the finals they most likely will win. Ozzy has the jury currently stacked for him thanks to Upolu's essential "Pagonging" of the tribe, and Brandon the above.

Unfortunately, I think both know too that they will have to immediately win immunity to get this round. Too bad Ozzy was dumb enough to give Cochran the HII (unless he had to), because Ozzy would have a final four spot automatically (or Brandon because I'd think Ozzy would've given it to the winner of this one).

FORT Fogey

I loved Rick's move at tribal council challenging Albert to give the necklace back to Brandon if you think he might be in trouble. Albert has been completely exposed to not only the tribe, but also the jury. No hope of him winning the $$. I wish Rick could make it to the end based on last night, but the fact that he has been almost non-existent in the edit this season tells me he hasn't got a shot.
    sweetpea and Fanny Mare like this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I do just find it fascinating that these people think God gives a flying fig who wins Survivor. Really? I'm thinking it's pretty low on his priority list...

It's also a little odd that if they sincerely do believe that God is deeply concerned with who wins the game that they're not also at least a little afraid of what kind of retribution they might be facing due to their behavior and actions during the game. You'd think they might at least be looking over their shoulders for the stray divinely inspired lightening bolt.

I think that's why I feel sorry for Brandon. He's said and done some things I definitely don't like--his initial treatment of Mikayla, for instance--but he comes off as the only one who actually does believe what he says he believes, no matter how much it might hurt his game or how much his naivete and desperation to find group acceptance ends up working against him. He's young, he's confused, and I don't necessarily share his world view, but I am uncomfortable with the degree to which he's been used by what sounds like pretty much everyone in his life and in the game. I hope he eventually figures out, as someone else pointed out upthread, that he can't keep looking for verification of his self-worth from others.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    .... I do not for one minute believe that this show is spontaneous. I think that this has all been scripted....
    This is an interesting question. In the 20+ seasons of "Survivor," have any participants ever claimed that they were told behind the scenes what to say or do? I'm sure some people have been upset about the editing; cutting hundreds of hours of tape down to 44 minutes a week allows producers to create pretty much any story line they want. But is anybody actually whispering, "Burn the socks. Bury the shorts. Steal the clue. Tell us more about God's plan!"

+ Reply to Thread