+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    If he didn't at least partially believe it, why did he actually get down on his knees and pray... twice? "The same name kept repeating over and over..." He can lie to Brandon all he wants, but why lie to the viewer?
    Because Brandon will see this after the finale. And it may help make up for the "oh, look, God helped me find the idol" show from earlier.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Because Brandon will see this after the finale. And it may help make up for the "oh, look, God helped me find the idol" show from earlier.
    Nice. Of course, as someone else mentioned, it's also for the viewers benefit, I guess. That leads to the question though... how seriously does he take his pastorship, his relationship with God?
    Also, if he makes jury, and they start browbeating him for it... will he maintain that illusion for the sake of Brandon and the viewer to uphold his integrity? Or will he admit it was a gameplay move to the jury (if that is what they want) in order to help himself win? I guess, who knows, at this point... But he's set himself up here, and we may see a lot of the conflicted Coach.
    I don't honestly know how I feel about this guy... I do think I'd love to sit down with him, and run him through some questions. Like some, there are times I feel sorry for him, and I think it's because he's not all there, quite.

Coach really is an enigma. I think that what makes him so hard to figure out is that he has told so many "tall tales" in the past that it is hard to figure out if this is truly how he sees himself. For instance, his story about being chased by a bunch of pigmies sort of makes you wonder "Is this guy for real?"

Does anyone know anything about the "church" that he is supposed to be a pastor of and if he actually attended a school that taught theology? Anyone can claim to be a pastor and I guess start their own church. Is that what Coach did?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

From Brenda's Survivor Blog: coach's feelings on being a pastor and his relationship with God

Yes not many people know this. I may be rough around the edges but at the core I am a born again christian man. We all make mistakes but when you are grounded in the blood of Jesus Christ, well that helps with everything. It is who I am and it is what has made me into the individual that I am .
    As for the church (Eagle Lake Community church) itself, I could find very little information, I did find this though... from Reality Blurred, by Andy Dehnart:
    We’re driving to Eagle Lake Community Church, where Ben has been pastor for about a year. Behind us is Susanville, the town Ben calls home and the subject of a PBS documentary called Prison Town, USA, because its prisons contain about a third of the county’s population. Susanville was also the subject of a documentary called Small Town, Big Symphony, about Ben Wade, maestro, produced by his brother, and focusing on the symphony orchestra Ben helped found in 2003. Sometime after Survivor, while he was wading in the shallow pool of post-fame fame-seeking that so many attention-drenched reality TV show cast members dive into—he was even offered his own dating series like The Bachelor—Ben moved back to avoid the temptation of fame. “I would have let them do anything they wanted to do. You become a whoremonger: You’re never satisfied.”

Trees turn into snow-covered houses along a small grid of streets. The church is a tiny building, one that has bookshelves in its bathroom and a cross made of seashells on the wall. “Ben, you rock,” someone says, and nearly every one of the 20 or so people there greet him as he takes off his coat. The program for the service says “I Am God” in bold letters overtop a stock photo of snow-capped mountains, not the actual snow-capped mountains that surround this small town and are visible outside the window as everyone settles into plywood pews while Ben plays trumpet over pre-recorded music that sounds like the demo on a Casio keyboard.

In all capital letters, the script font announces that Pastor “Coach” Ben Wade will preach about “The Second Coming.” The service takes just over a half-hour, and includes detailed review of Biblical passages about the rapture, the end of times, and something about flying around heaven. “It’s already been mapped out what’s going to happen,” Ben says, promising comfort to the congregation. Ben references his kayaking trip and tells the congregation, “I didn’t know if there was going to be a good ending or not. The easiest thing about Survivor was knowing that there was a beginning and an end, and that there was a safety net. This is here to let us know that no matter what happens, God is in control,” he says. “It’s already been written in the book that Satan will be destroyed at the end of the time. He will be tormented day and night, forever.”

Later, I asked him about his sermon and religiosity, and Coach explained:

“Having a Christian faith permeates everything that I do, and I have sins that I struggle with just like everyone does. I believe that the creator of the universe is God, I believe that he has a son, I believe in the power of the holy spirit, I’ve seen it, I’ve felt it, I’ve heard God speak to me; on some of my lowest points I’ve felt his hand on my shoulder. I’ve been in some very powerful moments with him that have made it real and not just a doctrine in going to church. And I do things kind of to the extreme, so for me to feel God in the extreme, I feel—-well, let me just say this, I feel—during my sermon yesterday, I got emotional a couple of times, just as I was speaking, because I feel so unworthy of being able to speak the gospel.

I’m amazed that through all of my rebellious and sinful ways that God is still compassionate enough not only to forgive me but to use me to speak. And there’s a big difference. My father speaks every week in church—he’s an ordained minister; he does mathematics but he actually got ordained as a minister. And I remember listening to one of his sermons one time—he does Sunday school but he also does some church—and I remember in the middle of a sermon he stopped speaking and he said, ‘I have nothing to share, and I feel like God is not speaking through me and so I’m just gonna stop.’ And he just stopped right in the middle of the sermon. And it was very powerful for me to see that, and I feel the same way. I know when I’m speaking out of my own knowledge, and I know, and I can feel, and the congregation can feel when the presence of God is there in the room.

It says in the Bible—and I believe it cover to cover—it says when two or more are gathered in his name he’s gonna be there in the midst. God is infinite, he can be in a billion places at once. It’s hard to comprehend, but that’s what it says. So, you know, I feel the power of him in that room—I felt it yesterday, I felt it the week before. There have been times when I haven’t felt it as much, and when he starts speaking through me I’m actually teaching myself along with the congregation. I will take that drive up there through the snow every week, just so that God can feed me spiritually.”
    This was published online December 16th, 2011. I guess he's not going to chalk it all up to gameplay. :p
    Last edited by spockwhat; 12-17-2011 at 01:38 PM.

FORT Fogey

Is Coach's church affiliated with any denomination in particular? And did Coach have any seminary training of any kind?

I'd also be curious as to what his church did for a minister while he was off on Survivor again. Of course, I always wonder that about everyone on Survivor who isn't self-employed. How do they get so much time off work just to be on a television show?

From my knowledge of churches, "community" churches are generally non-affiliated to any denomination. That would be my guess here... I just couldn't find my information on the church itself. I also don't know if Coach has any seminary training... from the article above, it sounds more like he has survivor and kayak trip training.

If anyone else could find out anything more about his church and training, I'd be interested to know that, as well.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sounds fairly fundamentalist with the emphasis on the rapture, etc.

I don't know. It's really, at the end of the day, none of my business, but I still don't really believe Ben, because to me, the things he has done in the name of "Christianity" during this show (praying to find the HII while it's in his pocket, saying God told him to vote off Brandon, yanking Edna down into the group prayer) feels more to me like a big "show" - as does the overt praying on the beach in front of the camera. I may be totally wrong, but I just have this feeling Coach is disingenuous.

Does anyone remember, after his first (or was it 2nd) season on Survivor, when he was pitching a movie he wrote, starring himself, about a rock musician...?? Well, here's the trailer if anyone is interested:

180 Trailer

This was 2010, so not that long ago. Sorry, but the whole thing just made me
    Lil Bit likes this.

We used to drive through Susanville on the way from my small hometown to get to Reno, NV. It really is high plains (volcanic) and nestled at the foot of the Sierra Mountains. Thanks for the information on Ben and his church. There are many small churches with very small congregations with the emphasis on bible education. My brother who lives in rural Montana is currently pianist for a start up bible church. As Ben said...when two or three are gathered. In my small town the community church I attended was considered a Presbyterian Mission Church and while there was an assigned pastor, it received its funding as a mission.

My remarks about wanting to see Atheists, though, still stand. Television needs to find a balance in understanding all ways to believe or not believe as does humankind. My opinion, of course.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    ...Does anyone remember, after his first (or was it 2nd) season on Survivor, when he was pitching a movie he wrote, starring himself, about a rock musician...?? Well, here's the trailer if anyone is interested:

180 Trailer

This was 2010, so not that long ago. Sorry, but the whole thing just made me
    That's so UN-Preacher Man-ish
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread