+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sophie - South Pacific

Sophie - South Pacific

Name (Age): Sophie Clarke (22)
    Tribe designation: Upolu
    Current residence: Willsboro, N.Y.

Personal claim to fame: I won Prom Princess at my small rural high school where my graduation class was 28 students.

Inspiration in life: I am skeptical of lionization of any one person. I do admire, however, Albert Schweitzer. He came from a well-off family and yet chose something much less grand with his life than he could have. True humanitarian. True passion. True dedication.

Hobbies: Cooking, scrabble and reading.

Pet peeves: Smart women who pretend to be dumb, particularly if they wear a lot of eye makeup, and people who walk slowly in cold weather.

3 words to describe you: Purposeful, resilient and shrewd.

SURVIVOR contestant you are most like: I relate to Russell’s determination to win at any cost, Stephen’s intelligence, Stephenie’s competitiveness and Susan’s trueness to character.

Reason for being on SURVIVOR: To win money! I have been bragging to friends for way too long about how easy “Survivor” is and how good I would be. I would like to have the freedom in Med. School to choose my specialty based on passion and not money and the potential to more quickly pay my debts.

Why you think you’ll “survive” SURVIVOR: I am strong and athletic (play soccer, softball and basketball) and I am an extremely good skier. I am “Outdoor Emergency Care” certified and can thus deal with unexpected and extreme situations with a calm approach. I am a leader and always ready and eager to step up!

Why you think you will be the sole SURVIVOR: I am tough, smart and driven. People will trust and like me even though they should not. I will piss people off, yet be convincing and heartfelt enough at the end to make them give me the money. I will mess with their minds and beat their bodies! I think it might actually be easy.

Survivor: South Pacific Cast: Sophie
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: Sophie - South Pacific

Reason for being on SURVIVOR: To win money! I have been bragging to friends for way too long about how easy “Survivor” is and how good I would be.
    And, for this reason, I think she will be one of the first gone. You come into this game with that attitude, it kicks you in the butt.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Wow, she sounds extremely arrogant. I'm thinking first boot.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Personal claim to fame: I won Prom Princess at my small rural high school where my graduation class was 28 students.
    Really? That's IT??!? 28 students, probably half females.

She is the female version of Coach. First boot.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think she was mocking herself. No one who's in med school thinks being high school prom princess is her major claim to fame, even if it were a big school, believe me.
    Med students, docs, law students on the one hand...on the other dancers and artists... I see a "two cultures" thing coming up.

Yeah, on the TV preview, she said there were 10 girls in her class and 5 made court. She was basically downplaying it, big time. I actually liked what I saw of her - and love a smart woman who doesn't feel like she has to play dumb. That being said, if she goes out there with the attitude of being the smartest person there and doesn't try to blend in a bit, she will be an early exit.

I can't believe I had to find this almost at the bottom of page two and bring it forward. Talk about nobody talking about the winner!!

Here's the complete EW Interview with Sophie after her win. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions. I liked her a lot during the show and felt she played a good game, but I was kind of put off by her a little during the final show, the way she barked at Albert to give up the chance at winning immunity to help her win, and how she seemed to hate Ozzy so much. Anyway, here it is:

It may have been the Coach and Ozzy show (with a side order of Cochran) for much of Survivor: South Pacific, but in the end, it was the medical student who took home the million dollars and the title of Sole Survivor. Sophie Clarke won challenges when she needed to — including the decisive last one against Ozzy — and handled the bitter jury better than Coach or Albert, leading her to victory and a celebratory chat with yours truly. Sophie called in to discuss how she won (a certain emotional breakdown at Tribal Council certainly didn’t hurt), and don’t think she’s above taking a few parting shows at her fellow finalists along the way.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So, at any point did Albert ask for your million dollar check, but offer to give it back if he ever thought you were in financial danger?

SOPHIE: Uh…no comment.

What I want to know is; Where’s the oversized novelty check? For me, that would be almost better than the real thing.

You mean like when you go on The Early Show and they give you that huge thing? Yeah! I don’t know! I want a huge one. What am I gonna do? I’m going to have to photo copy this one or something.

Go to Kinkos and blow it up?

I think they probably gave it to Coach by accident.

Which is better: being named Prom Princess in 11th grade or Sole Survivor?

That’s a tough call. I’m gonna go with Prom Princess. Survivor is great and everything, but it’s associated with the pretentious brat thing. When I was a Prom Princess, everyone was calling me wonderful and beautiful and smart. And there was also a crown involved. The only person that ever got a crown from Survivor is Sandra and I think she probably bought it herself.

Sophie, there were a lot of comments made about your character in the finale. Would you describe yourself as warm or fuzzy?

Wait, are you seriously asking me that question? That is so funny because when I was in college I overheard this girl talking about me and her friend said to her, “Who is this girl you’re talking about?” and the girl said, “Her name’s Sophie and she’s not warm or fuzzy or anything!” No, I am neither warm nor fuzzy. I don’t want to be either. Would you ever want to be described as warm or fuzzy?

You don’t think I’m warm and fuzzy, Sophie?

No. C’mon. I’m not friends with many warm or fuzzy people. The only person I’m friends with who’s warm and fuzzy is Dawn, and I think she’s genuinely the only warm and fuzzy person in the world. It’s actually kind of scary how genuinely warm and fuzzy she is. I know, right? It’s terrifying!

You had an emotional breakdown at Tribal Council, and while I’m sure you were mortified by that when it happened because you pride yourself on being such a strong woman, do you think that helped you with the jury in that it showed your softer side and that you too could be vulnerable?

Definitely. At first I was like, “Oh my God, I just ruined everything. Nobody wants a crybaby for a winner.” But then I got back to the beach and started thinking about it, and the reason I was being called out was I was being told I had this hard exterior and came off too blunt and arrogant and I came off like a bitch. And by crying and being a little bit more vulnerable, I squashed that. I think I did win part of the jury over right there.

How comfortable were you going into that final Tribal when you first arrived, and then how comfortable were you after the jury questions when they went up to vote?

I knew that I had a shot. The thing that shocked me was Ozzy starting it off by saying, “This game is yours to lose, Coach,” and that shocked me. Because I thought I was going to go in there with a good claim for the million, and all of a sudden I was on defense. And then after all the questions I could tell that Coach was really hammered. I mean everyone was getting hammered, but he was getting hammered the most. All they wanted was honesty, and I was the only one at the final Tribal to give them honesty. All Coach had to say was “I manipulated all of you,” and he would have gotten the million. I was the only one to own up to things. I was just brutally honest with people and didn’t just say what they wanted to hear. Cochran asked me, “What was the best move of the game?” and I immediately said, “Well, it wasn’t yours. Yours sucked!” And, you know, Albert would never say that. Albert would think that was the surest way to lose a jury vote. I could tell the jury didn’t want to be messed around with. They’re not stupid people.

Who didn’t vote for you besides Cochran?

I actually thought I was going to get more votes than I did. I came out of Tribal, thought I won, thought about it a lot over this year, and I was pretty sure that Cochran and Edna had voted for Coach. Why Edna voted for Coach is beyond me. But I think Coach’s third vote was Rick, which is surprising. But I really screwed over Rick. Rick was truly a very bitter juror, because Rick never had an alliance with Coach. Rick and I had a final three alliance. And he was very bitter at me. So I was actually really terrified when I saw the third vote. I was like, “Oh my God, I was completely wrong. I thought I won!” I started to practice my gracious loser face in my head. It was terrifying.

Tribal Councils are always much longer than what we see on TV. Tell me something else big that was said by either you and the finalists or the jury at that final tribal that didn’t make the final cut.

Well, like the whole season, there was also more religion than what was shown. I was asked how I felt about the religion thing and had to give a politically correct answer. I think the religion thing really screwed Coach over because Dawn is a very religious person and Brandon is a very religious person and to them it was really unnecessary and too personal.

When you said, “I’m not a used car salesman,” that was totally directed at Albert, wasn’t it?

Yeah, I took a lot of shots at Albert at that final Tribal. Actually, that’s one of the main things you never saw throughout the season. Every Tribal, I took shots at Albert, which is why he starting hating me. I would try to take playful shots at him because I was really worried. Albert was really buttering up the jury. And I was getting really worried that he might win. So the time he gave Cochran the massage I called him out hard at Tribal.

Speaking of Albert, that was a pretty bold move ordering him to pick up your pieces for you during the house of cards challenge.

Albert is the worst challenge player in the history of Survivor. I feel confident saying that. Even like, Courtney Yates won a challenge, right? I mean, whatever, he won one challenge. We all agreed that none of us would win the million if Ozzy got to the end. The main thing was to beat Ozzy. I didn’t know if Jeff was going to let us do it, but might as well try. And you hear Albert, “Oh, I’m almost there.” He had what, two pieces on his thing?!? And then at the final challenge you saw him just kind of follow me wherever I would go, and he would do that at camp too. I think he got a reality check last night, so that was good.

Let’s say Ozzy had won that final challenge and voted you out.…

Oh, no. I wouldn’t have been voted out. Coach and I were really tight, which they didn’t show, and he wouldn’t have betrayed me. Coach would have voted with me and I would have done a fire-making challenge against Albert, and I probably would have beaten him, Ozzy would have won the game but I still would make the final three.

Well, let’s just say you didn’t beat him and went to the jury. Whom would you have voted for to win?

I think I would have voted for Coach at the time because I hated Ozzy, and I didn’t respect Albert’s gameplay, so I would have voted for Coach.
    Some interesting insight. She basically told Cochran his move "sucked" when he asked her what the best move of the game is. She says she was brutally honest, and that the jury wanted to hear people be honest. Doesn't sound like a bitter jury to me, more like one who doesn't like to continue to hear lies. Albert and Coach both refused to own up to their lies and deception, and it cost them.

Having said that, she is most definitely not warm and fuzzy. Kind of like Sandra, I guess.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, hopefully she's not choosing a med school specialty that requires warm and fuzzy! Maybe surgery?
    sweetpea and Fanny Mare like this.

I just read this whole thread and the first thought that came to mind was: THIS is the person who thought Ozzy was arrogant?!?!
    holly71, GabbyG and Fanny Mare like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rewatching some of the show from last night, I have to say I was really surprised to hear Sophie tell Albert, when she was demanding that he drop his dominoes to pick hers up for her, "Do it now or I will punch you in the face!" - now, I know she was frustrated and at that point it really was 3 of them against Ozzy, and she could have been half-joking, but yikes. IDK, I liked Sophie the whole way through but that final show just really makes me wonder...if she was this demanding and talked this way to others while in the game, could she truly have been surprised when people said she came across as entitled and unlikeable?

I did feel badly for her during the show, when it seemed she was shocked to think others could see her that way. But now I'm not really so sure about her not realizing how she comes across.

Her tears definitely helped her case with the jury, as maybe it made her seem softer somehow. IDK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast