+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sophie - South Pacific

Re: Sophie - South Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I just read this whole thread and the first thought that came to mind was: THIS is the person who thought Ozzy was arrogant?!?!
    I know..hello pot meet kettle! she has no idea what she is like

Honestly, Sophie sounds like me when I was 22 years old (a LONG time ago ).... she's going to take the bull by the horns, and I can understand that
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Tribal Councils are always much longer than what we see on TV. Tell me something else big that was said by either you and the finalists or the jury at that final tribal that didnít make the final cut.

Well, like the whole season, there was also more religion than what was shown. I was asked how I felt about the religion thing and had to give a politically correct answer. I think the religion thing really screwed Coach over because Dawn is a very religious person and Brandon is a very religious person and to them it was really unnecessary and too personal.
    Well now I feel cheated. I knew we see very little of regular TC, but I assumed they showed all of the inquisition during final TC. It would be great if an unabridged version of final TC were available for view.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Well now I feel cheated. I knew we see very little of regular TC, but I assumed they showed all of the inquisition during final TC. It would be great if an unabridged version of final TC were available for view.
    But some of them are 90 minutes long. We really do see a condensed version, and are manipulated in that time

Okay, after reading Sophie's interview above, I can see why people on both tribes found her to be snobby and unapproachable. She even said that she had overheard someone in college say that she was not "warm and fuzzy", and that she didn't want to be known as warm and fuzzy. To me, Sophie comes across as someone with a chip on her shoulder, and I can't quite figure out why. She stated that in her class of 28 she was thought of as "wonderful, beautiful, smart" Interesting.

What bothered me the most about that interview was how she talked about Dawn. I realize it is all up to interpretation - how each of us thinks she meant what she said - but I felt like she praised Dawn for being truly warm and fuzzy (a genuinely nice person) on the one hand and mocked it on the other. Sophie stated that she is friends with Dawn, being the only person among her friends that she considers warm and fuzzy - but I bet that she and Dawn will have very little contact with one another once some time has passed.

So, after reading her interview above, I am shocked that Sophie cried when hearing Ozzy say that everyone who came through RI told him that she was not friendly and came across as a spoiled brat. I guess I just don't get why she seemed that surprised if she had already heard a similiar assessment of her made by someone from college. At TC this supposedly had opened her eyes and made her question whether or not she needed to make some changes. Apparently not. It doesn't seem to have carried over into the real world.

In conclusion, it appears to me that Sophie feels like what I am going to call "warmth and compassion" to be some kind of undesirable character trait. I, on the other hand, find that is a trait that I look for in a physician. It makes me wonder what field of medicine that she is pursuing. Maybe research would be a good place for her.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 12-20-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Just a few thoughts on Sophie:

1. I saw an interview she gave to People where she basically admitted that she saw how hypocritical she was when she called Ozzy out for calling her a spoiled brat while she was calling him an a**hole. So she does recognize it.

2. I agree with SugarMama - I think we need to remember that she is 22. Oh man, I would not want someone judging me on things I said and did when I was 22.

3. On the doctor thing - my SIL is a doctor, so I have heard the stories about what she had to go through to get through medical school and residency. I think Sophie's personality is going to serve her well to get there. It is really tough. Plus her undergraduate degree was mostly likely in a male dominated field. I am in another profession that tends to be more male dominated and while, over the years, I have learned how to balance it, when I was younger, I needed to be tough and more like a man to be successful. That's just reality. Would it serve me well in a game like Survivor? Probably not. But it served me well to advance in my career and now, being slightly on the other side and closer to the top then the bottom, NOW I can find the balance and lighten up a bit. While I was climbing, no way!

4. One other thing on the doctor side - while there are some fields where you want a warm and fuzzy doctor, there are others where you might not care as much. Again, coming from my relatives who are doctors - for someone like your brain surgeon, at the end of the day do you want the warm, fuzzy doctor or do you want the best? And yes, it would be great if they could be both, but many times they aren't. Doctors are confident and even egotistical sometimes - in my opinion that is good, because I want a doctor who believes himself to be the best. Now again, is that the best personality for Survivor? Probably not. But I do think Sophie has the personality it will take to make it through medical school and residency. I hope she finds balance as she ages, for her sake and happiness more than anything.
    SugarMama likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree with what you said, except for the fact that pre med majors and med schools are male dominated. They used to be but have been at 50/50 more or less for years now. Sadly though, med school still has a very old school masculine slant... I think in part because the med school profs are still mostly men. So, yes, Sophie will still need that tough exterior in med school and residency, especially if she chooses a male dominated field. Surgery, especially fields like brain surgery and bone surgery (orthopedics), for example is still very macho, and attracts the most macho of the macho. Other fields (of course the less well paid ones) like pediatrics, attract more women.

Agree with you, PWS, and I guess I should have clarified. I am in the legal field and the law schools have been 50/50 (or even more female) for years. But actually being out in practice is very different. I think that is because, while there may be many more women going into those fields, there aren't as many STAYING in those fields - for whatever reason. That means at the top, it is still male dominated - so if you want to get to the top, you still have to play the games. This is more what I was referring to - so thanks for the clarification!

1. I saw an interview she gave to People where she basically admitted that she saw how hypocritical she was when she called Ozzy out for calling her a spoiled brat while she was calling him an a**hole. So she does recognize it.
    I just wish she had recognized that during the game, particularly when Jeff said that exact thing to her. I do agree, at that moment she really did seem to have a chip on her shoulder and didn't want to hear any criticism of herself. The interview I quoted she said she 'hated' Ozzy, which is a pretty strong word to use, IMO. He hasn't said anything nearly as strong towards her. It's interesting. I think she really doesn't like to hear criticism, and while she is definitely a strong woman she could also stand to be a little more self-reflective I think. I wonder if she's since made peace with Ozzy, since he did, IMO, compliment her and call her the most intelligent person playing the game (much to the chagrin of Cochran, I'm sure) and his biggest competitor.

I'd be a little suspicious if she stills feels such strong dislike for him after this much time, particularly if she has agreed she was hypocritical for calling him out when she had said basically the same thing about him.

Wow...those that didn't vote for her were just bitter? How about they didn't vote for you because you were not nice to them? I would think that was more the case.
    Fanny Mare and sparklete like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast