+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: John - South Pacific

Re: John - South Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I may have agreed with you on this simply because it would make SO many other people mad.. but after he likened himself to Sharon Tate.. I will NOt be sad to see him go. Sooner rather than later.
    That bothered me as well. I think he tries so hard to sound witty and have the 'quote of the week' that he doesn't really stop to consider that some of the analogies he uses are stupid and quite possibly offensive to some. Not to mention way over the top, since we are talking about a reality tv show here, not the murder of an innocent woman and her fetus. I think Cochran is book smart (obviously) but not that socially savvy.
    captain and maude~flanders like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    That bothered me as well. I think he tries so hard to sound witty and have the 'quote of the week' that he doesn't really stop to consider that some of the analogies he uses are stupid and quite possibly offensive to some. Not to mention way over the top, since we are talking about a reality tv show here, not the murder of an innocent woman and her fetus. I think Cochran is book smart (obviously) but not that socially savvy.
    Sharon was 8-1/2 months pregnant, two weeks away from delivery of her baby...it could have lived.
    ilja likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

That tragic event is nothing more than a footnote in history to him. Yes, he chose a very bad analogy, but he could have chosen Jim Jones as well. He already had it in his mind that Zeus ate his children (death by an all powerful being) so cult killings and deaths would have been on his mind as he thinks of Coach as a cult type leader of his tribe.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

He mixed his Manson and Jim Jones analogies together. After saying he wouldn't be Sharon Tate, he said he wasn't drinking the kool-aid..... whatever, dude....

I had been pulling for him a bit since he was such an underdog, but I'm very ready to see him go at this point. His bit is played.
    captain and sweetpea like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Sharon was 8-1/2 months pregnant, two weeks away from delivery of her baby...it could have lived.
    Yes. It was horrific and definitely not something to joke about. Now, I realize that Cochran wasn't trying to be controversial, but again I see it as him trying desperately to be the memorable character on Survivor, he doesn't stop to think about how inane some of the things he is saying are.

I was going to mention the "kool aid" reference as well.

Finally, Cochran is out of the game. He annoyed me to no end and now Ozzy has sent him packing. Good riddance!
    sweetpea and Shoepie like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

He's too young to have lived through the Manson/Tate stuff...he knows there were murders, but the focus in later years has always been on the Manson/cult followers and the hold Manson had on them, not on the victims. He may not even know that Tate was so pregnant. Ditto the Jones/Kool Aid reference...he's probably only barely aware of the origins of the phrase, just has heard people say, "don't drink the Kool Aid" when they mean don't swallow what some leader says blindly. Could be wrong, maybe he's an avid true crime follower, but I'm guessing most people his age couldn't give you details on those crimes. He may go to Harvard Law, but that doesn't mean he's any more informed on the dramas of boomer era youth than his peers.
    So I'm willing to cut him some slack on those references. Not that I don't think his peers (and he) SHOULD be better informed!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I am too young as well, but I was aware of it. To use it at all in relation to himself here is think was ignorant on his part.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Hey Cochran, count me among those who love you! Looking forward to your Survivor return.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Yes. It was horrific and definitely not something to joke about. Now, I realize that Cochran wasn't trying to be controversial, but again I see it as him trying desperately to be the memorable character on Survivor, he doesn't stop to think about how inane some of the things he is saying are.

I was going to mention the "kool aid" reference as well.
    Kudos to Cochran for even knowing who Sharon Tate was and being able to make a comparison to her situation. She died 42 yrs ago and he in only 24 yrs old most kids his age are not that knowledgeable about what happen in the 80's much less the 60's.
    lopevian and sparklete like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast