+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I think Rob was a construction worker when he first applied to Survivor, so came from a pretty blue-collar work-hard kind of background. I think he's applying that to his reality show career as well, work hard, do what needs to be done, etc. I have never said he is perfect, just that I like him very much, have always enjoyed watching him play the game, and he makes me laugh. I honestly don't mind if people don't like him, and I do understand he's not to everyone's taste. That's fine by me. Whatever he does or is in the show, though, it's obvious he is a devoted husband and father, and that I definitely do like and give a big to.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Jeff so obviously favours Rob it makes me ill. "Rob is literally carrying his family on his back!" *love* *drool* ick.

And Rob's comment about winning the money to make a better life for he and his (millionaire) wife also makes me ill. There are so many reasons to not want to vote for Rob.

As for Phillip faking his crazy, I don't believe it. Wouldn't he be sane in his confessionals then? Only WE see those, so it doesn't make sense. He's just as nutso talking to the cameras as he is talking to his tribemates. The man is certifiable.

Thanks for your comments, couldn't agree more on both Rob and Phillip.

Instead of Rob saying he has been trying to win for ten years, he should be saying, THANK YOU CBS for allowing me back on Survivor so many times. Especially when many others are more deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Very good point....He certainly has to make Grant think that at any given moment Grant could beat him.... To the others he could say he was worried that Andrea would win individual immunity so he had to win...but he COULD have let Grant take that one for the team. I think he is wants to LOOK beatable, while still not being beaten, both for safety's sake, and because he can use a string of wins in his F3 argument.
    Don't hurt that most of his tribe members are as dumb as rocks. Wonder how Rob got stuck with such gullible air heads, CBS wouldn't have anything to do with that would they?????????

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands View Post
    Don't hurt that most of his tribe members are as dumb as rocks. Wonder how Rob got stuck with such gullible air heads, CBS wouldn't have anything to do with that would they?????????
    Rob and Russell drew their team out of a bag. They were not assigned. It was a chance pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    As for what's wrong with wanting more, I don't know how to react to that if that's what someone truly believes, except to say that there are people who don't believe that too, who think that at some point, wanting more becomes a problem because it can end up coming at the expense of other things and other people. Personally, it wouldn't be worth a million dollars to me to do Survivor, because of what you ultimately have to do to win the game, which is why it's always refreshing to me when someone who has managed to play as decently as possible, without compartmentalizing or manipulating people while laughing about it behind their backs, manages to win anyway. It doesn't happen very often, but it gives me hope when it does.

For me--it's a GAME, so whatever they do is ok. I don't think that lying, manipulating, etc means you do the same thing outside the game, any more than making people think you have a bad hand and then taking all the money in poker does. I suppose if you forget it's a game then some of the behavior is deplorable, but if it were me, I'd never forget that it's NOT real life!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    For me--it's a GAME, so whatever they do is ok. I don't think that lying, manipulating, etc means you do the same thing outside the game, any more than making people think you have a bad hand and then taking all the money in poker does. I suppose if you forget it's a game then some of the behavior is deplorable, but if it were me, I'd never forget that it's NOT real life!

Everyone who goes on this show wants to win a million dollars. Everyone who buys a lottery ticket wants more money. Those who think it is wrong to have more money don't do either. I don't think there are many, who would not delight in more money. There are many ways to be in this world and it is our choice to follow our desires. There are no wrong choices here.

CBS asks Rob back, I don't think he has any control over whether they do or not, just whether he accepts or not. He obviously loves playing the game, so of course he would accept. I don't think he should grovel to the network and thank them for allowing him back at all. It's their show, he's probably just thrilled they decided to angle this season in this way. Sure, it's at the expense of one other person not getting on the show, but if we had the same type of people as we did this season and the last one, thank goodness he's there. At least he brings some life to it.

Would it truly make sense were he to politely decline the chance to play a game he obviously LOVES and possibly win a million $$ for his family, all because some other random person should take his spot because it's not "fair" that he is asked back? I can't see anyone making that decision, actually. I know if I were him I wouldn't.

I'm trying very hard not to be a Rob "apologist" but honestly, IMO, the guy is playing his heart out in this game. He's playing hard, from day 1, and he's the only one I can see who has been doing that.

I haven't checked it out yet, but was reading on another board that some of the secret scenes on the survivor website show the Omatepe's actually getting along just fine with the Zaps. Steve, apparently, praises Grant as a great guy who taught him Yoga and spent a lot of time teaching him meditation skills while at camp. Another scene shows Rob asking the Zaps to play a game of catch with a football on the beach. I don't think we can assume based on the editing that the two tribes had nothing to do with each other. I think it's the story CBS wants to tell about how Rob is the "cult" leader.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    As for people playing for charity... no way. Going through the hell that they go through for 30+ days, whomever wins deserves the money, plain and simple. There are plenty of other ways to be charitable. Outlasting, outwitting and outplaying on Survivor isn't going to be one of them. I wouldn't even watch if they did that TBH.
    I wouldn't watch, either. I'm all for giving to charity, but if I'm going to watch a competition of any sort, I want them to be competing for all the marbles. Plus I find that Pollyanna everybody-should-be-doing-everything-they-do-for-charity attitude truly tiresome and generally hypocritical.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    CBS asks Rob back, I don't think he has any control over whether they do or not, just whether he accepts or not. He obviously loves playing the game, so of course he would accept. I don't think he should grovel to the network and thank them for allowing him back at all. It's their show, he's probably just thrilled they decided to angle this season in this way. Sure, it's at the expense of one other person not getting on the show, but if we had the same type of people as we did this season and the last one, thank goodness he's there. At least he brings some life to it.

Would it truly make sense were he to politely decline the chance to play a game he obviously LOVES and possibly win a million $$ for his family, all because some other random person should take his spot because it's not "fair" that he is asked back? I can't see anyone making that decision, actually. I know if I were him I wouldn't.

I'm trying very hard not to be a Rob "apologist" but honestly, IMO, the guy is playing his heart out in this game. He's playing hard, from day 1, and he's the only one I can see who has been doing that.

I haven't checked it out yet, but was reading on another board that some of the secret scenes on the survivor website show the Omatepe's actually getting along just fine with the Zaps. Steve, apparently, praises Grant as a great guy who taught him Yoga and spent a lot of time teaching him meditation skills while at camp. Another scene shows Rob asking the Zaps to play a game of catch with a football on the beach. I don't think we can assume based on the editing that the two tribes had nothing to do with each other. I think it's the story CBS wants to tell about how Rob is the "cult" leader.
    Exactly. Rob was asked back, no doubt because of the confrontation he and Russell had on the HvV reunion, which got fans of both men talking, and producers thought it would be good for ratings to give them a chance for a rematch. The only humanitarian motivations the show has is in its sponsorship of the Elizabeth Glazer foundation; they don't cast only the neediest contestants unless they also make good TV, in their opinion. And since Rob loves this game, and would love to win it once, plus he also might win a lot of money (and according to speculation, probably also got an appearance fee for his participation), he would have been a total fool to turn it down. And again, just because he made one comment in a PI, which for all we know was in response to a specific producer question, about wanting to provide for his family, that doesn't preclude the possibility that the money is no longer his primary motivation for doing the show again, and that winning the darn thing after 4 attempts has by now become more important to him than the million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I wouldn't watch, either. I'm all for giving to charity, but if I'm going to watch a competition of any sort, I want them to be competing for all the marbles. Plus I find that Pollyanna everybody-should-be-doing-everything-they-do-for-charity attitude truly tiresome and generally hypocritical.
    Well, that's the basis of Celebrity Aprentice and the competitors there are pretty cutthroat.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread