+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Second place is very nicely rewarded. Third isn't bad either. So the stepford twins may stay loyal to Rob because it may still be the best final result they could hope for.

Julie calling the Omatepe group a "cult" was ridiculous and completely OTT. What they are is a strong alliance, led by a strong and experience leader, who are sticking together until the end when they will be forced to turn on each other. Isn't that what the whole game is about?? Isn't that what alliances are supposed to do? They aren't a bunch of zombies with glassy stares stumbling around after Rob!

When Rob said "Ok, Buddy up! Hold hands!" they were all laughing if I recall, not cowering in fear. I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Rob even start to swing his arm with his buddy, like they were kindergardeners going to start skipping.

These are grown people who have realized that their alliance with Rob will get them exactly where everyone wants to get...to the end of the game. At that point, I am confident we will all see some serious strategizing and I'm pretty sure Rob will get the boot as soon as they can boot him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Exactly, why blame Rob for the fact that he leads them so effortlessly? They are all benefiting right now from Rob being the obvious target of everyone's ire, and probably a lot of them are thinking they wouldn't mind going to the end with him because there's a good chance the jury will be angry enough at him they won't give him the $$. It's what happened on ASS and I'm sure that's gone through a few minds. I still think once the Zaps go they will get rid of Rob the first chance they can, but right now they are all benefiting from his plan and the plan is working. Why bother changing it up until it's every man or woman from O. to himself/herself.
    That's assuming Rob doesn't have to use his immunity idol before all the Zapatera tribe are gone. If he gets to use it when they are gone, that saves him one week. If he can convince Phillip and at least one of his "goddesses" to stay loyal, he'd still have the numbers, provided he could use that idol strategically and/or win an immunity challenge and get out one of the other three. Rob may not be that easy to get rid of, and they need to start thinking about that. If it gets down to a final two of Rob/Phillip or Rob/"goddess," he may actually have a chance to get votes, because no matter how angry anyone is, no one seems to like Phillip and it would be hard for one of the girls to make a strong case that they did anything much more than float along in Rob's wake.

I also don't think finding what Rob's doing as less than entertaining or downright creepy as blaming solely him for what's happening. I find it just as disconcerting that so many people are willing to be lead in ways that demean themselves just for a one in six shot at a million--because, ultimately, that's all it is.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular thought, but I'm not entirely convinced Rob is a completely different person outside the game either. Nobody gets that good at manipulating people without some practice. He may not have the control over others he has now when he's elsewhere, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to schmooze and charm people into behaving in ways that benefit him, regardless of whether it particularly benefits them--and not particularly caring whether it does or not, so long as he gets what he wants. I'm not a big fan of that kind of behavior in real life either. I just hope that in his real life, not everyone falls for his grin and his fake sincerity so easily. Every time I see him smile, I hear my late mother snorting and calling it a manure-munching grin. Okay, that's a paraphrase, but directly quoting her would have involved an obscenity.

manure-munching grin
    Oh, I love that. I'm going to use that from now on!
    He definitely has the manure munching grin, and it is obvious Rob knows how to talk to people and how to get things to go his way.
    He does stay relatively quiet though in tribal councils, and when the Zaps were congratulating him last night on the vote that got rid of the swing player, he said "thanks very much, I appreciate it" in a quiet voice. He's obviously leading his tribe, but he's not overtly obnoxious about it. Although the digging thing was his paranoia coming through and it was quite silly. He admitted it though, in his PI. That the HII is his nemesis and he's paranoid about it (with good reason). I still love Rob. Don't have a clue what he is like in real life, although from all accounts he is a loving husband and father and I haven't heard any "fan reports" on twitter or anything saying he is a gigantic A-hole, so I don't think he's as evil as many think he is.

FORT Fogey

Julie calling the Omatepe group a "cult" was ridiculous and completely OTT. What they are is a strong alliance, led by a strong and experience leader, who are sticking together until the end when they will be forced to turn on each other. Isn't that what the whole game is about?? Isn't that what alliances are supposed to do? They aren't a bunch of zombies with glassy stares stumbling around after Rob!

When Rob said "Ok, Buddy up! Hold hands!" they were all laughing if I recall, not cowering in fear. I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Rob even start to swing his arm with his buddy, like they were kindergardeners going to start skipping.

These are grown people who have realized that their alliance with Rob will get them exactly where everyone wants to get...to the end of the game. At that point, I am confident we will all see some serious strategizing and I'm pretty sure Rob will get the boot as soon as they can boot him.
    Whether they held hands giggling about or not, they still seem to be abiding by the rule that they never talk about the game with the Zaps and that they don't speak to them alone. If Rob was that confident in his alliance, why would that matter so much? And if the others were actually thinking, instead of following, why not listen to someone other than Rob for a change? It doesn't mean that they have to go along with anything they hear or allow it to change their minds. If they think something is safe to eat, why should it matter so much to them whether Rob thinks they should eat it or not? I'm not sure I would have eaten the fish myself, but I am definitely sure it would be my decision whether I did or not. If they're really grown adults in all senses of that term, why are they so unquestioningly following Rob's every direction? Believe me, as much as I dislike Rob, I am equally flabbergasted that people who should know from past shows that Rob is NOT someone you can unquestionably trust are unquestionably trusting him.

With the exception of Andrea, I'm not sure any of the rest of his alliance are all that capable of effective strategizing. Phillip's too volatile, and if anyone believes he's a wise choice to take to the final, it's got to be Phillip. And unless Grant and the girls are really flying way, way under the radar, there's not a lot of indication that they're deep thinkers either. After all, Grant just stupidly handed over an immunity idol clue to Rob. Why would anyone who was thinking automatically do that?

Julie calling the Omatepe group a "cult" was ridiculous and completely OTT.
    I think it was an excellent observation, very accurate.
    When Rob said "Ok, Buddy up! Hold hands!" they were all laughing if I recall, not cowering in fear.
    Something that is hugely missing, unless I was asleep, was a confessional from *any* of Rob's "followers", well except for Philip. The show is intentionally edited right now to not give us any clues where the "followers" stand and how they feel about Rob's directives.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Add me to the list of those who things went into cult territory last night. After the show, I felt uncomfortable with what I saw happening. Not only did the cultists give up control of the basics (bathroom breaks, no solitude, eating), but every step Rob can push them into obeying seems to convince him even more that he has total control. I used to like Rob - now, he scares me. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Whether they held hands giggling about or not, they still seem to be abiding by the rule that they never talk about the game with the Zaps and that they don't speak to them alone. If Rob was that confident in his alliance, why would that matter so much?
    Probably because he knows that, "strong" alliance or not, weak-minded people can easily be talked into or away from things. One way to prevent that? Keep them away from those who will whisper ideas into their shell-like ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I think it was an excellent observation, very accurate.
    I don't agree. "Cult" is one of those words that is tossed around too easily these days, like "Hitler" and "sociopath".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

He definitely has the manure munching grin, and it is obvious Rob knows how to talk to people and how to get things to go his way.
    He does stay relatively quiet though in tribal councils, and when the Zaps were congratulating him last night on the vote that got rid of the swing player, he said "thanks very much, I appreciate it" in a quiet voice. He's obviously leading his tribe, but he's not overtly obnoxious about it. Although the digging thing was his paranoia coming through and it was quite silly. He admitted it though, in his PI. That the HII is his nemesis and he's paranoid about it (with good reason). I still love Rob. Don't have a clue what he is like in real life, although from all accounts he is a loving husband and father and I haven't heard any "fan reports" on twitter or anything saying he is a gigantic A-hole, so I don't think he's as evil as many think he is.
    From Rob's point of view, it wouldn't be profitable or beneficial to him to be a public jerk to his fans. I'm sure he wants to keep his fanbase as intact as possible, because it's a potential source of income. If he didn't have a fanbase, he wouldn't keep getting so many offers to be on reality tv shows, which are a source of income and a way to stay in the spotlight--and I don't think anyone can argue that Rob dislikes the spotlight. That's one of the reasons I don't think he'd ever be a good Survivor host. The host has to sit back and narrate the game without offering a lot of commentary about his opinion of what's happening. Even when Jeff is annoyed or surprised, he pretty much lets the contestants do the talking. I'm not sure Rob could resist making a joke or offering his take on something that happened. It's just not in his nature not to do that. If they had something like a post-show color commentary on-line, maybe he could do that, because that would involve less restraint on his part.

I have no idea how he is with his family, but it's quite possible to be decent to those you love and still manipulate other people to your own advantage without too much concern over whether it's to their advantage to go along with your plans. We probably all know, or know of, people who do exactly that. For that matter, I never thought Amber was bent double with empathy for others either--after all, she started out flirting with Rob in order to use him to her best advantage in the game, and she did ultimately beat him by allowing him to be the greater villain of the two--so I can see why they'd be likely to be attracted to one another and not have issues with each other being manipulative, so long as it wasn't directed nastily at each other.

FORT Fogey

He is well liked by Jeff, survivor staff and his friends have spoken out in the past about what a great guy he is. I have not read one negative comment from those in his life.

+ Reply to Thread