+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by LalahLand View Post
    I don't like Rob that much either, but his attitude is intriguing. But I have to wonder: Why was Russell hated so much yet Rob is adored? I really think Russell should have been named the winner the past two times. What he managed to accomplish twice in a row is amazing, and he didn't do it by controlling an entire tribe like a dictator. He did it by controlling maybe one or two people.
    Russell sabotaged provisions; he constantly belittled women and his "dumb-ass girl alliance;" and he cavalierly lied about being affected by a truly devasting disaster (Hurrican Katrina) that brought tragedy to a huge number of people. Anybody who tries to benefit off the tragedy of others is completely despicable.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I agree, but this doesn't only mean physical attractiveness, but extends to a person with an attractive personality (Rob) vs one with a very unattractive one (Russell). Ask any of the people who have played with both of them, and I bet they'd say the same.
    Very true. Russell isn't actually ugly, and if he had a charming personality he would have been considered somewhat...elfin, I guess. If his rather attractive blue eyes had twinkled with glee rather than malice, that would have made a world of difference in people's reactions to to him.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I agree, but this doesn't only mean physical attractiveness, but extends to a person with an attractive personality (Rob) vs one with a very unattractive one (Russell). Ask any of the people who have played with both of them, and I bet they'd say the same.
    Agreed. I was talking whole package.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    I agree. Rob reminded me this eposide why I didn't like him in the past seasons he was on. One thing I really noticed was how much this season has changed from past seasons, and not for the better. They are supposed to be merged into one tribe yet they barely allowed to speak to each other. It's more like 2 tribes living on one beach. Should have just kept the original tribe names. They built the shelters together yet Rob and his sheep won't even allow the Zaps to sleep in the same area, they had to have their own shelter area. Rob doesn't even allow his members to eat at the same time as the Zaps, WTH????? This season has just gotten really weird and creepy. I know all about alliances and how they work but sheesh ever heard about being polite.
    Ever since Rob insisted on the separate shelters, separate meal times etc. and his acolytes just went blindly along with it, I've been wondering if the show's producers might try to make that much more difficult to do in the future. There's nothing they can do about it for this season, but I wonder if in future seasons, they'll set up the merge situation so it's not really possible for the two tribes to stay in completely separate shelters or refuse to share meals together.

Cutting down on the interaction between the two former tribes after a merge potentially cuts down a lot on potential drama, which could make it more difficult to edit the footage down to an interesting show. The way Rob's running his tribe, there's not much to tape there except Rob and Phillip, but Phillip's only getting the airtime he is, because he behaves so strangely. Maybe they're okay with that this season, because they view Rob as a big enough draw, but unless they're never planning on another season with an entirely new cast, they need to think about ways to keep genuine interaction going with all the tribe members if they want to have the greatest potential for dramatic story lines developing.

Ever since Rob insisted on the separate shelters, separate meal times etc.
    I think I missed where he insisted on these things...I didn't see where he said they should have separate shelters. I was under the impression that the whole tribe wanted to be together and they have the tarp, so they wanted to continue sleeping under it. Separate meals? Up until the fish incident, I always watched them eat together. Rob was off doing something (probably PI's) when the crispy rice controversy occurred. But other than that...I thought they all ate together.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fan

After the merge...he did a PI where he was talking about wanting to keep the two tribes as seperate as possible to make his own minions think of the Zaps as the Others. So he was trying to have them eat at a different time from the Zaps, the Ometepe are sleeping in the part of the shelter under the tarp, the Zaps aren't.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant way to keep your tribe together and cut down on the risk of someone flipping

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    After the merge...he did a PI where he was talking about wanting to keep the two tribes as seperate as possible to make his own minions think of the Zaps as the Others. So he was trying to have them eat at a different time from the Zaps, the Ometepe are sleeping in the part of the shelter under the tarp, the Zaps aren't.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant way to keep your tribe together and cut down on the risk of someone flipping
    It may be a brilliant strategy if you're Rob, but if you're the show's producers, I'd think you'd want to increase, not decrease, the risk of someone flipping, because that's where the drama is, particularly later in the game. That's why I was wondering if, in future seasons, they'd try to prevent that kind of strategy from happening again. I would think the producers would like the game to be as unpredictable as possible, because that's what keeps viewers guessing and keeps them tuning in.

And yes, that PI is what I was thinking of when I said he "insisted" on separate shelters, separate mealtimes. I guess you could argue about whether he "insisted" or "persuaded," but it was Rob's idea, and Rob's doing it largely, if not entirely, for his own benefit, because it serves his purposes best if he can keep anyone flipping from an alliance he controls--and if he can reduce contact between his minions and the Zaps as much as possible, it decreases the possibility that the Zaps will be able to make any headway in convincing someone to flip. It also helps his cause if he can convince them that the Zaps are the "other," the enemy, and it's easier to do that if his followers spend as little time as possible fraternizing with them. If anyone on Ometepe believes Rob is doing any of this for anyone's benefit than his own, they're even dumber than I think they are (unless someone's doing an amazing job of playing dumb).

Exactly right. Rob's got "It"...... good looking physcially, fun, upbeat personality, keeps his ego in check, (except in PI's) and he's smart and really good at this game. I think he deserves to win (so far) but it won't be easy not becoming a target since everyone is aware of his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    It may be a brilliant strategy if you're Rob, but if you're the show's producers, I'd think you'd want to increase, not decrease, the risk of someone flipping, because that's where the drama is, particularly later in the game. That's why I was wondering if, in future seasons, they'd try to prevent that kind of strategy from happening again. I would think the producers would like the game to be as unpredictable as possible, because that's what keeps viewers guessing and keeps them tuning in.

And yes, that PI is what I was thinking of when I said he "insisted" on separate shelters, separate mealtimes. I guess you could argue about whether he "insisted" or "persuaded," but it was Rob's idea, and Rob's doing it largely, if not entirely, for his own benefit, because it serves his purposes best if he can keep anyone flipping from an alliance he controls--and if he can reduce contact between his minions and the Zaps as much as possible, it decreases the possibility that the Zaps will be able to make any headway in convincing someone to flip. It also helps his cause if he can convince them that the Zaps are the "other," the enemy, and it's easier to do that if his followers spend as little time as possible fraternizing with them. If anyone on Ometepe believes Rob is doing any of this for anyone's benefit than his own, they're even dumber than I think they are (unless someone's doing an amazing job of playing dumb).
    Since what Rob is doing is a valid strategy (and one that requires some skills of persuasion to successfully pull off, that not many other contestants, past, present, or future, have, IMO), I'm not sure how much interference the producers will be able to introduce in future seasons without infringing on the legitimacy of the game. Also I don't expect every subsequent alliance to attempt to duplicate this tactic, because it requires careful group dynamics to be put in place in advance in order to get everyone to go along so willingly, many of whom believe it is in their best interest. Yes, we know it is for Rob, but Natalie, Grant, Ashley and Phillip also have reason to believe they will make it to F3 this way, because of how Rob presented things to each one of them. (And that's assuming that none of the four are actually on to him and plan to take him out sooner, which we still don't know yet). So I think that the constant talk of these "cult members" following Rob blindly is ridiculous. They are either not blind at all, or have been led to believe something that is not true (certainly not the first time in Survivor this has happened). But for 2 out of the 4, Rob's strategy is going to pay off big time if it gets to fruition. The only one I'm not sure about is Andrea, but to me she looks like she has something up her sleeve and just hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet.
    Last edited by ironcat; 04-16-2011 at 10:08 AM.

FORT Fogey

Since what Rob is doing is a valid strategy (and one that requires some skills of persuasion to successfully pull off, that not many other contestants, past, present, or future, have, IMO), I'm not sure how much interference the producers will be able to introduce in future seasons without infringing on the legitimacy of the game. Also I don't expect every subsequent alliance to attempt to duplicate this tactic, because it requires careful group dynamics to be put in place in advance in order to get everyone to go along so willingly, many of whom believe it is in their best interest. Yes, we know it is for Rob, but Natalie, Grant, Ashley and Phillip also have reason to believe they will make it to F3 this way, because of how Rob presented things to each one of them. (And that's assuming that none of the four are actually on to him and plan to take him out sooner, which we still don't know yet). So I think that the constant talk of these "cult members" following Rob blindly is ridiculous. They are either not blind at all, or have been led to believe something that is not true (certainly not the first time in Survivor this has happened). But for 2 out of the 4, Rob's strategy is going to pay off big time if it gets to fruition. The only one I'm not sure about is Andrea, but to me she looks like she has something up her sleeve and just hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet.
    Actually, it wouldn't take all that much interference, so to speak, to prevent--or at least provide opportunities to diminish--the kind of control Rob is exerting. I don't think they ever could prevent it entirely, but they could make anyone trying to use such strategy work harder than Rob has had to in order to make it work. Much of what they've done in past seasons would help, such as having reward challenges where a few people are separated from the rest at a time. Such challenges often also made pecking orders a little clearer. Sometimes they constructed challenges that revealed pecking orders as well. They could also move the merged tribe to an entirely new location and take away previously earned items that belonged to individual tribes, replacing them with things that pretty much had to be shared--one shelter with a tarp over the whole thing, for instance. I didn't get to see the merge episode, but did they do the usual group feast or did people stay divided for that too?

Most importantly, they could be more careful of how they cast. There must be some pretty people out there who aren't total sheep--and casting people who aren't "pretty" but are smart and/or interesting would be a nice change too. They could also save the idea for returning former players to all star seasons or use them as rewards---win a rewards challenge and you have a choice of, say, spending time with a family member or meeting with someone who's played the game well and might be able to offer some useful advice. Or use someone like Rob or Russell as the challenger in a RI situation---you have to keep beating an established player to have a chance to get back in the game. Of course, the rules for RI would have to change then, and it would only work if they decide to keep the RI idea around past this season, but it would be a way to incorporate more experienced players without throwing newbies in with people who've played the game two or three times.

They need to at least try and develop scenarios where there is more potential for flipping and drama. I assume they thought that's what would happen when they brought back Russell and Rob, but it's failed rather badly, and if you look at the responses to Jeff's latest blog, there are plenty of posters unhappy with the way this season has been going, because it's too predictable for their tastes. It's impossible to know how many people are really represented by on-line opinions, but I'd think the show's producers would pay attention to a significant number of complaints about the show becoming dull and predictable and/or a one person show. That's another thing they could do better--they could edit so that so many PIs weren't devoted to one or two people (Rob, Phillip), even if they think they're the funniest or the most popular or the strangest or whatever. It's difficult to know what's going on in all the players' minds with regard to strategy (if anything is) if we see so few of them. I've had a terrible time even remembering some players' names simply because we see so little of them. That also gives some players a huge advantage in the fan favorite competition. If fans can't remember players' names, they're certainly not going to vote for them.

+ Reply to Thread