+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 3/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I expect to see Matt enter the game next week. I find his christian blather offensive so I am not rooting for him because I have heard enough!
    I totally agree with this! I am always turned off by the religious folks talking about God making them stay or go...or going on about it!

I wouldn't say I find the religious talk offensive, as he seems very sincere about his beliefs, but I really don't want to hear how it's God's will if he wins or loses, etc. or how God will help make the decision whether he stays in the game or does well, etc. IDK, to my mind God has much bigger things on His plate than a reality tv competition, but YMMV.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I totally agree with this! I am always turned off by the religious folks talking about God making them stay or go...or going on about it!
    Someone in my court on this. Christians are the worst offenders. Keep it to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    You're absolutely right about the differences between Rob and Matt. Personality-wise, very, very different.

But I think Rob sees in Matt those small almost unnoticed clues that show that Matt is one of the few in the tribe that has the same keen strategizing ability and likability that Rob does.
    They're both charming, easy to look at, pleasant demeanor and smart as a whip! Rob's just too street-smart not to recognize these things about Matt.

As much as I admire Rob's ability in this game, I'm tired of seeing him as a contestant. Although I'll take him over Russell any day!
    I have to disagree with the keen strategizing ability for Matt,if he had any he would have gotten rid of Rob instead of Rob getting rid of him. It never entered his head, he thought Rob was great. I think Matt's a nice boy and good physically, but I don't think he's depending on his wits to win the game, he's trying to outpray instead of outsmart, and that may be his downfall eventually.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maryhse View Post
    I have to disagree with the keen strategizing ability for Matt,if he had any he would have gotten rid of Rob instead of Rob getting rid of him. It never entered his head, he thought Rob was great. I think Matt's a nice boy and good physically, but I don't think he's depending on his wits to win the game, he's trying to outpray instead of outsmart, and that may be his downfall eventually.
    Well, if he makes it to the merge maybe he will hook up with someone with better strategizing powers. He's fast and strong and not stupid even if he isn't very conniving, so if others want to use him to help get rid of Rob he could be useful to them--e.g., by getting immunity. So far I don't see a lot of brainpower on either tribe though--of the kind that will suggest dumping Rob. Maybe the lawyers....
    Count me with those who think any deity worthy of the name would not pay a lot of attention to Survivor contests. At least Matt has not gotten into that "good people" "bad people" stuff that some of the past "Christians" have (quotes because I didn't think they behaved in a very Christian manner). He's just more fatalistic...whatever God wants -- ish.
    Editing---of course I've not watched my tape of the time of the Bible donating episode yet, so maybe I missed something.
    Last edited by PWS; 04-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Editing---of course I've not watched my tape of the time of the Bible donating episode yet, so maybe I missed something.
    Not really. They bonded over their shared faith and he was incredibly touched when she left her bible for him. Their closeness did irk Andrea though, it was written all over her face, so the fall out from that if Matt should go back into the game will prove interesting.

FORT Fogey

Make no mistake. I agree with this. Rob saw a potential, not yet realized, for couple strength with Matt and Andrea. he lived this, he knows the power. Rob came in knowing he was the biggest target and aimed to protect anything suspicious. Not because he thought Matt was shrewd and able to outwit him. He knows how women can bond and influence each other, as well. He knew Matt better than we did at boot time. All we see is a fanatic Christian who can win challenges. All Rob saw was a Christain fanatic who can win challenges and Andrea!

Having watched more episodes since I wrote that I thought Matt was capable of giving Rob a run for his money, I have to admit you saw thru him better/sooner than I did. (wrote this before the bible exchange)
    I didn't realize how mcuh he would use his religious beliefs to guide his actions in this game.
    I'm just not sure that Survivor is the type of game to play that way.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Having watched more episodes since I wrote that I thought Matt was capable of giving Rob a run for his money, I have to admit you saw thru him better/sooner than I did. (wrote this before the bible exchange)
    I didn't realize how mcuh he would use his religious beliefs to guide his actions in this game.
    I'm just not sure that Survivor is the type of game to play that way.
    Ah, I see an opening for a new kind of reality show, where the "best Christian" (or person most able to follow the tenets of their religion, whatever it is) wins! And maybe you win a trip to the Holy Land (or equivalent) for your whole congregation!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Ah, I see an opening for a new kind of reality show, where the "best Christian" (or person most able to follow the tenets of their religion, whatever it is) wins! And maybe you win a trip to the Holy Land (or equivalent) for your whole congregation!
    And the one who wins is clearly gods favorite!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast