+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 3/9 show discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 3/9 show discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by fan999 View Post
    A severe weight-loss diet is typically about 1200 to 1500 calories per day, depending on the person's weight and health, and usually has a minimum of about 30 grams of protein. A diet of 400 calories a day means slowly starving to death, with numerous ill effects in the interim. The drama and tension of "Survivor" depend on game play, challenges, strategy, alliances, etc. I just don't see any reason that the players couldn't get at least an unlimited supply of rice, maybe with some powdered milk and a few cans of tuna. Even a lifeboat or a bomb shelter is stocked with survival biscuits. Or if food needs to be part of the game, maybe there should be a competition every day where the winning team gets a great meal and the loser gets gruel. But watching people starve is not much fun.
    Add sunscreen to the list. My pet peeve!

Stephanie can't stop mouthing off to her tribe mates. I don't know where she thinks that will get her in her now, two-person alliance. She's a damned fool.

Oh Ralph, you just had to show Russell how much better than him you are by telling him how you found the idol in 15 seconds. Don't you mean, "accidentally stumbled across it"? Trying to kick a man when he's down is trashy no matter how much you don't like him.

A severe weight-loss diet is typically about 1200 to 1500 calories per day, depending on the person's weight and health, and usually has a minimum of about 30 grams of protein. A diet of 400 calories a day means slowly starving to death, with numerous ill effects in the interim. The drama and tension of "Survivor" depend on game play, challenges, strategy, alliances, etc. I just don't see any reason that the players couldn't get at least an unlimited supply of rice, maybe with some powdered milk and a few cans of tuna. Even a lifeboat or a bomb shelter is stocked with survival biscuits. Or if food needs to be part of the game, maybe there should be a competition every day where the winning team gets a great meal and the loser gets gruel. But watching people starve is not much fun.
    Remembering the deal with the devil for rice in Australia, Jeff said that the rice they receive is carefully rationed out to last for 39 days (well that season 42, the only season longer than 39). So they're supposed to have enough for the entire time.

That said, miscalculations are common, so they should have enough for say two months. And I miss the tinned foods too, if only because these people don't necessarily know what is edible and not besides fish (and even there it's a risk).

I'm not sure about a challenge for great meal/bad meal because that would lead to a similar controversy as the "Haves/Have Not" season.

True, but maybe they could just give them a barely adequate amount of something that isn't very good. I don't think they should be giving out steak, hamburgers, pizza, chicken, etc. nearly as frequently as they do in recent seasons.
    I've been on a pre surgery diet of NASTY protein powder for 2 weeks now; maybe they could have that, some rice, and a vitamin pill daily and I would say fair enough!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    ... maybe they could just give them a barely adequate amount of something that isn't very good...
    Maybe everybody could be issued one emergency food bar every morning (with a rule that you couldn't barter it for some other advantage):
    1200 Calorie Food Bars
    Certainly not luxurious, but with adequate rice and clean water it would be enough to stay healthy for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I'm sure this is probably at Jeff Probst's thread, but here's his video blog, with a Skype interview with Russell just after the show last night:

Jeff Probst
    about the luxury item..I asked him during the show the other night on twitter how they handled someone like me that has to take a thyroid med everyday were those things allowed and he said NO....no razors no NOTHING...
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    about the luxury item..I asked him during the show the other night on twitter how they handled someone like me that has to take a thyroid med everyday were those things allowed and he said NO....no razors no NOTHING...
    Can that really be right? People who might need routine medication for a chronic condition are automatically disqualified? Is that in their rules anywhere? There might be reasons for it, but it seems like that might create an incentive for applicants to lie about their medical histories. And I'm not sure an employer can discriminate on the basis of such conditions unless they can prove the condition interferes with ability to do the job. On the other hand, being subjected to continuous stress, deprivation and starvation are part of this particular job. Have any applicants complained publicly that they were rejected for medical reasons?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    That's just ridiculous. What would they do if someone who had asthma, but only very rarely required an inhaler, were cast on the show and suddenly had an asthma attack and needed that inhaler? Let that person gasp for air?

I can see disqualifying people who had a health condition that made the lifestyle on Survivor unduly dangerous, but if someone just needs to take a thyroid pill once a day or needed to have an inhaler on hand for an emergency situation, I don't see why it's considered inappropriate. I realize someone dumped on a desert island somewhere might have to do without that sort of thing too, but that person wouldn't be able to win blankets or a grill or a car either. They can call the show Survivor, but these people aren't really fighting for survival. They're playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Do they really need one these days? I mean, they are running around with shovels and more food and who knows what-all else from day one now.

Along the same line, does anyone wish they would quit having so many 'feast' rewards, or that they would stop giving them so many tarps, blankets, etc? I liked it better when the Survivors were deprived! Not that they're living in luxury now, but in quite a few of the early seasons these people who start out model-thin would have never made it even halfway.
    Just a guess but I'd say that the amount of food provided has more to do with liability issues. Survivor producers don't want to be sued later on so there might exist a minimum amount they have to provide.
    But I don't think it comes from the "goodness of their hearts" but what they can get away with legally.
    Same goes for contestants with medication/illness issues. If they're not allowed to try out it's because of liability. They probably sign something that says that if they don't tell the truth about their health (despite the medical testing Survivor demands) they'll get nothing if they sue.

FORT Fogey

This has been discussed before, but without much conclusion. Are contestants allowed to choose their own clothes? Almost all the women are wearing two-piece swimsuits of pretty much the same design, and two are actually the same orange-and-white stripes. Most of the men go shirtless most of the time. And I think I'll go blind if I see any more of Phillip's undies. If I were spending all day every day in a tropical environment, I would try to cover up as much as possible against bugs and sun, and I would wear loose, baggy clothes instead of tight swimsuits. Are the contestants told what to wear, or are they required to pick just one thing, or are the producers trying to make them look ridiculous and feel miserable, or what? I have always felt that it wouldn't damage game play at all if contestants were allowed to bring (or were given) a couple changes of clothes, a poncho and a fleece blanket.
    What they wear is decided by the production team. They probably dressed Philip in long pants and a shirt, I can't remember, and he decided to just wear his underwear! They are getting loser and loser each day. I don't think they chose the pink, he probably had those on when they did wardrobe.

+ Reply to Thread