+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Survivor **SPOILERS** 2/16/11

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Survivor **SPOILERS** 2/16/11

Kristina's biggest mistake was in thinking that having an HII gave her power. An HII does not give you power, it gives you the potential for having power but it all depends on how you use it. She didn't know WTF to do with the damn thing once she got it and now is an even bigger target than she originally thought possible.

Also, on this show, ego will bite you in the butt quicker than a sand crab!

Best season premier ever on Survivor... and one helluva TC

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Kristina's biggest mistake was in thinking that having an HII gave her power. An HII does not give you power, it gives you the potential for having power but it all depends on how you use it. She didn't know WTF to do with the damn thing once she got it and now is an even bigger target than she originally thought possible.

Also, on this show, ego will bite you in the butt quicker than a sand crab!

Best season premier ever on Survivor... and one helluva TC
    I was liking Kristina until she pulled that boner of trying to take out Rob in the first TC. Unless there's much more going on than we've been shown (which IS always possible), she just blew up her game.

Something made Rob think Kristina or Francesca had an idol, so he devised the split vote. What made him think that? Just that Kristina had been looking for one early on doesn't mean she found it. I suspect there's something we haven't seen, which kind of ticks me off. Rob's plan doesn't jibe with the footage we saw (unless I missed something).
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Something made Rob think Kristina or Francesca had an idol, so he devised the split vote. What made him think that? Just that Kristina had been looking for one early on doesn't mean she found it. I suspect there's something we haven't seen, which kind of ticks me off. Rob's plan doesn't jibe with the footage we saw (unless I missed something).
    He saw Kristina going through all the stuff that they brought to the camp, all the tools, etc., instead of helping with the shelter. He knew exactly what she was doing and called her out on it. The fact that she didn't seem too interested later on made him think she'd found it, which was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I am with you being annoyed about their clothing. It is really irritating seeing these people arriving in suits and high heels. They should know after all these years Survivor has been on that they could be whisked to the location at any time. From the moment you left your house to participate, wouldn't you make sure you were always wearing comfortable, sturdy, useful Survivor attire?? I don't care if the producers told me we were going to a formal dinner party. I wouldn't go anywhere wearing anything other than full-on competition clothing.
    As I understand it, the producers tell each of them what to wear (maybe not the specific garments, but they are required to bring along the clothes and given guidance) with the idea of providing physical clues to us (the audience) and to the other contestants of who they are on first impression. They're not given the option to wear "Survivor gear" or many, MANY contestants would likely have made other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Or establish a rule that people had to wear at least shorts and not just underwear. I mean, it may be awkward for the viewers, but can you imagine how it is for Phillip's teammates to have to see him in his undies 24/7? I felt the same way about Richard Hatch's penchant for public nudity.
    Well, Hatch was intentionally using nudity as a weapon: he enjoyed it perhaps, but everything that man did was calculated to get responses out of his tribemates, and the nudity was intentional.

While I doubt Phillip has any such plan in mind with the tighty-fuchsias, I would hate to remove the use of appearance as a tool in the game: while Hatch was one of the most famous to use it, it's certainly no secret that many of the women have used the skimpy clothing to their advantage and others have not, just as I'm sure many of the guys have. A uniform would remove those options and have the bad side effect of making the contestants harder for viewers to tell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat View Post
    He saw Kristina going through all the stuff that they brought to the camp, all the tools, etc., instead of helping with the shelter. He knew exactly what she was doing and called her out on it. The fact that she didn't seem too interested later on made him think she'd found it, which was correct.
    Yes, I saw the conversation between them on that. I guess I just can't see how he made that jump to her probably having it, which is why I imagine there were other indicators we didn't see (yet). Seemed she and Francesca and SAM (Secret Agent Man) were a threesome very quickly.

Which really makes me wish and question why Survior can't do 2 hours each week to give us more footage? And now we'll also have Redemption Island footage to wade through, which will further decrease our seeing what goes on at camp. Oh well.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Which really makes me wish and question why Survior can't do 2 hours each week to give us more footage? And now we'll also have Redemption Island footage to wade through, which will further decrease our seeing what goes on at camp. Oh well.
    Seriously. If The Biggest Loser can be two hours a week, with at least 45 minutes of that merely a recap of exactly what happened minutes ago before the commercial break then I think Survivor could put together at least a 1.5 or 2 hours show. This season I think it would be great. Last season it would be like watching paint dry.

Great premiere, but I disagree about it being the best premiere in a long time. The Nicaragua premiere was pretty stellar also!

My one complaint would be how many people were invisible. I think there were about 5 people who weren't shown at all. What a disappointment.

I was liking Kristina until she pulled that boner of trying to take out Rob in the first TC. Unless there's much more going on than we've been shown (which IS always possible), she just blew up her game.
    She and Francesca were actually targeting Natalie. In her voting confessional, Francesca said something like, "Your (referring to Phillip) saved Natalie from being the first one voted off."

With that said, I agree with Marlena_M that they were foolish to think that the HII guarantees power. They totally forgot to think of the split vote strategy. But granted, I would not have thought that someone would have the HII very early on. What Kristina should have done was: 1) be more coy about looking for the idol by not looking at the toolbox in front of everyone, and 2) keep it a secret between only her and Francesca.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I'm thinking it's no coincidence that Russell winds up on a weaker team. I'm a fan, but it makes me think the show doesn't have enough faith in his gameplay and want to ensure he sticks around.
    I don't think his tribe is the weaker one at all. In fact, it seems to be the stronger one IMO. They blew past Rob's tribe in the IC in that first part.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Newbie

Being such a loony maybe that's why Philip is a former federal agent.

FORT Fogey

Does anyone know how this season's teams were chosen? Usually that's one of the first things they mention--the teams were split based on age or gender or there are appointed team captains who choose the teammates. Whatever the arrangement is, the audience appears to find out at the same time the players do.

This season, everyone had a buff when they landed. We only saw Rob and Russell choose their buffs. So was there a blind draw by the other contestants or did the show split them up? There would be precedent for either one, but if the show deliberately chose them, I'm wondering why they put the teams together that way. Were they trying to make one team stronger, which would give Rob or Russell (whichever one drew that team) the advantage of possibly not going to tribal council as often but also the disadvantage of being seen as less necessary to keep around? Were they trying to make one team weaker, so whoever drew that team would have the disadvantage of possibly having to face tribal council more often but the advantage of being seen by the rest of the team as too valuable to lose?

I'd like to think I'm just being overly suspicious, so if I am, please let me know. I'd much rather think it was an accidental blind draw that set the teams up the way they are as opposed to a deliberate plan on the part of the producers to give Rob/Russell challenges in carrying out their plans to win, because I don't think the show should ever be designed to focus on one or two players. Sometimes it turns out that way, but it should be unexpected if it does.

+ Reply to Thread