+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

FORT Fogey

Re: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

Often shows are redo's of previous successes. And some run simultaneously like The Office. I think this is a great idea! I think Amber and the girls will meet up with him in different venues. 80 days is a long time to be apart.

Rip off or not, it sounds like fun and right up Rob's alley. I hope he has a blast.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    With all due respect it's a complete rip-off of the beklow show:
    Around the World in 80 Days is a BBC television travel series first broadcast in 1989. It was presented by comedian and actor Michael Palin. The show was inspired by Jules Verne's classic novel Around the World in Eighty Days, in which a character named Phileas Fogg accepts a wager to circumnavigate the globe in eighty days or less. Palin was given the same deadline, and not allowed to use aircraft, which did not exist in Jules Verne's time and would make completing the journey far too easy. He followed Phileas Fogg's route as closely as possible. Along the way he commented on the sights and cultures he encountered. Palin encountered several setbacks during his voyage, partly because he travelled with a five-person film crew, who are collectively named after Passepartout, Phileas Fogg's Manservant.

The programme was a critical and commercial success, winning strong ratings in the UK and selling well abroad. It was also released on video tape and later on DVD. Following the trip Michael Palin wrote a book about the experience. This book contains much more detail than could be present in the TV programme, and Palin's personal views are also more clearly evident. The book contains many pictures from the trip.

Around the World in 80 Days was followed by several similar conceptual travel series starring Michael Palin. These were Pole to Pole (travelling from the North Pole to the South Pole), Full Circle (circumnavigation of the Pacific Rim), Hemingway Adventure (following in the footsteps of Ernest Hemingway), Sahara (travelling around and through the Sahara Desert), Himalaya (travelling around the Himalayas), and New Europe (travelling around Eastern Europe).
    I remember seeing some of Palin's 80 Days. It was well done. Somehow I don't think there won't be much overlap in the audience between Palin's show and whatever version they've cooked up for Boston Rob, so the fact that they've co-opted Palin's idea won't be that evident.

I do wonder how the producers of Palin's show feel about this, however and whether they're getting any credit for being the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I remember seeing some of Palin's 80 Days. It was well done. Somehow I don't think there won't be much overlap in the audience between Palin's show and whatever version they've cooked up for Boston Rob, so the fact that they've co-opted Palin's idea won't be that evident.

I do wonder how the producers of Palin's show feel about this, however and whether they're getting any credit for being the original.
    Since many "original" ideas these days are actually derivative of something else that was done before, and since this concept, as was Palin's, is based on the "original" Jules Verne story which preceded both by quite a bit, I can't see Palin as having any claim to this idea at all. There also appear to be several big differences between the two shows; Rob's is basically a competition with another guy, whereas Palin's challenge was to only use transportation available in Verne's day and try to replicate his route.

At least, it's been over 20 years since anything like this was last tried. Sometimes I hear about a revival or remake of something, and it seems like only a few years have passed since the last time it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Often shows are redo's of previous successes. And some run simultaneously like The Office. I think this is a great idea! I think Amber and the girls will meet up with him in different venues. 80 days is a long time to be apart.
    I know that- I just think it's funny he's making it sound like this is a new brilliant idea someone dreamt up for him.

He might want to tip his cap to Michael Palin, who is the originator of the idea. That's all I'm saying.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    Since many "original" ideas these days are actually derivative of something else that was done before, and since this concept, as was Palin's, is based on the "original" Jules Verne story which preceded both by quite a bit, I can't see Palin as having any claim to this idea at all. There also appear to be several big differences between the two shows; Rob's is basically a competition with another guy, whereas Palin's challenge was to only use transportation available in Verne's day and try to replicate his route.

At least, it's been over 20 years since anything like this was last tried. Sometimes I hear about a revival or remake of something, and it seems like only a few years have passed since the last time it was done.
    Of course Verne is the originator of the idea, that's a given. However, Palin created the concept of turning the book into a reality show and therefore there is absolutley nothing wrong in acknowleding the tv concept is not a new endeavor. It's won enough awards and critical acclaim to merit mention. Tipping his hat to Palin is just the gracious thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

That's all I'm saying, too- not bashing Rob, just pointing out Palin and his team turned Vernes book into a great reality show and it would be nice for viewers of Rob's show to hear about it through Rob. It was such a unique concept and so well executed that Palin and his team deserve some mention for creating the concept.

FORT Fogey

Only reason I'm watching is because Rob is on this season. Hope he wins or at least wins the fan favorite.

I'll watch his new show too. I'd watch Rob read the phone book. He's hot, funny and his Boston accent cracks me up. Love the guy.

I don't quite get the upset over Rob's new show. The only thing they are taking a spin off is the name... and it's Around the World in 80 WAYS, not Days. He can't use the same mode of transportation twice. The amount of time isn't the issue. It's two completely different shows.

Regardless, I'm sure Rob will have a blast, and I'll have a blast watching it!

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I don't quite get the upset over Rob's new show. The only thing they are taking a spin off is the name... and it's Around the World in 80 WAYS, not Days. He can't use the same mode of transportation twice. The amount of time isn't the issue. It's two completely different shows.

Regardless, I'm sure Rob will have a blast, and I'll have a blast watching it!
    Yes, thank you. It's a totally different spin on the Jules Verne story, has little to do with Palin's more literal take on the matter. And it probably won't take anywhere close to 80 days to film either, so I'm sure Amber and the girls are glad.

+ Reply to Thread