+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Sheppard - Redemption Island

Re: Phillip Sheppard - Redemption Island

I thought Phil was kind of entertaining in a train-wreck / Coach-with-even-less-of-a-hold-on-reality sort of way. Until last week.

I really feel that pulling the race card in his rant against Steve was unnecessary, desperate and unfounded. Jeff managed to put together that when Steve was saying "Phil, you're crazy", Phil was hearing "Phil, you're crazy because you're a man of color." The truth is that what Steve actually meant was "Phil, you're crazy because YOU'RE CRAZY."

Whether Phil is acting-up the crazy routine or it's genuine, bringing race into an entirely non-racially fueled argument was just stupid. Suddenly a bunch of the Ometepe's are sympathizing with Steve because Phillip's response was so far off base.

As a member of a minority, I'm a little put off by Phil pulling the race card. Dude, save that for the real bigots of the world, and defend yourself in the meanwhile with logic and intelligence. Take a step up, not down.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post
    I thought Phil was kind of entertaining in a train-wreck / Coach-with-even-less-of-a-hold-on-reality sort of way. Until last week.

I really feel that pulling the race card in his rant against Steve was unnecessary, desperate and unfounded. Jeff managed to put together that when Steve was saying "Phil, you're crazy", Phil was hearing "Phil, you're crazy because you're a man of color." The truth is that what Steve actually meant was "Phil, you're crazy because YOU'RE CRAZY."

Whether Phil is acting-up the crazy routine or it's genuine, bringing race into an entirely non-racially fueled argument was just stupid. Suddenly a bunch of the Ometepe's are sympathizing with Steve because Phillip's response was so far off base.

As a member of a minority, I'm a little put off by Phil pulling the race card. Dude, save that for the real bigots of the world, and defend yourself in the meanwhile with logic and intelligence. Take a step up, not down.
    I agree with everything you've said.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post

Well, I am Black and I have been in situations where I was the only Black person and it is really tough. I do think that Phillip was treated like trash because he is annoying and crazy but the way Phillip was treated on the island is exactly what it feels like being the only Black person in a group of ill-informed White people. I don't think he was "playing the race card" and I don't think his feelings were unfounded because he is probably well aware of the position he is currently in. As Jeff said, it is tough to have an opinion if you don't know what it is like and I can bet that there are a lot of people who don't know what it is like.

I think Phillip has made this season watchable. His antics rival the best of them. The season is so predictable and boring. I am sort of bummed that he found his shorts though. He could have worn his buff as a skirt!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    I think Phillip has made this season watchable. His antics rival the best of them.
    Mike's benevolence, which let the Ome's enjoy the reward, meant we had a look at Phillip's very normal appearing sister. I love that in this week's confessional he says his crazy annoyances are part of his strategy and then they show an example of it (the lecture he gave them for the tangled fishnets). I wonder if there were similar comments from earlier confessionals that they didn't show us. From his original bio I had great hopes for his social game. He seems to have really blown his intent to read people (like not realizing who took his shorts), but it would be neat if he pulls off some level of legitimacy at final TC, LOL. It would be such a huge blindside!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I've gone back and forth about Phillip all season.....He's playing crazy GREAT.....He isn't playing, the guy really is NUTS......No, it's an act.....Uhhhhhh

After seeing him talking to his sister, I'm back to "Phillip is playing crazy and doing a darn good job."
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    Well, I am Black and I have been in situations where I was the only Black person and it is really tough. I do think that Phillip was treated like trash because he is annoying and crazy but the way Phillip was treated on the island is exactly what it feels like being the only Black person in a group of ill-informed White people. I don't think he was "playing the race card" and I don't think his feelings were unfounded because he is probably well aware of the position he is currently in. As Jeff said, it is tough to have an opinion if you don't know what it is like and I can bet that there are a lot of people who don't know what it is like.

I think Phillip has made this season watchable. His antics rival the best of them. The season is so predictable and boring. I am sort of bummed that he found his shorts though. He could have worn his buff as a skirt!
    I'm also a member of a "protected class" and know the experience of being the only one of my kind in the room--drives me nuts to say something, have no one respond, and then 3 minutes later a member of the majority says the same thing and everyone says, what a great idea! Grrrr... but I also agree, in this case I think Phillip's being treated the way he is because he's doing such a great job of playing crazy....or of being crazy, whichever it is! Maybe some combo of both...

I'm just surprised we haven't had more confessionals saying that he's faking it before though, if he is. But maybe they indeed have been edited... For example, he could say "I'm controlling this game, because I"m making them all think I'm the perfect F2 or F3 person, and they don't realize I"m faking it", but they only show us the first 4 words, so he looks nuts when everyone seems to hate him.

Maybe the editors want to blindside the audience as well at the final TC!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I'm also a member of a "protected class" and know the experience of being the only one of my kind in the room--drives me nuts to say something, have no one respond, and then 3 minutes later a member of the majority says the same thing and everyone says, what a great idea! Grrrr... but I also agree, in this case I think Phillip's being treated the way he is because he's doing such a great job of playing crazy....or of being crazy, whichever it is! Maybe some combo of both...

I'm just surprised we haven't had more confessionals saying that he's faking it before though, if he is. But maybe they indeed have been edited... For example, he could say "I'm controlling this game, because I"m making them all think I'm the perfect F2 or F3 person, and they don't realize I"m faking it", but they only show us the first 4 words, so he looks nuts when everyone seems to hate him.

Maybe the editors want to blindside the audience as well at the final TC!
    Can you imagine what would happen if Phillip made it to the final TC and suddenly switched gears entirely, started sounding extremely intelligent and logical, and methodically outline how well his "acting crazy" strategy worked and then was incredibly articulate in all of the answers to the jury's questions?

Not that I actually expect that will happen, but can you imagine the enormous blindside of everyone--production, the players, the audience--if it did?

FORT Fan

I wouldn't put it past him. What do you think he was referring to when he said that he still a trick up his sleeve to beat Rob?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I wouldn't put it past him. What do you think he was referring to when he said that he still a trick up his sleeve to beat Rob?
    With Phillip, it's hard to tell. Sometimes he seems like he could pull something like that and other times he just seems really nutty.

I did think his sister seemed right normal, so if he is a few bubbles off plumb, it doesn't appear to run in the family.

Wonder if he just "acting" nuts or really is nuts. Is anybody's guess! But he is one of the villains that is memorable in the show's past 22 years.
    NFL PreSeason 2014!

+ Reply to Thread