+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survivor: Interview with Tyrone "I played the role of the Wal Mart greeter"

Survivor: Interview with Tyrone "I played the role of the Wal Mart greeter"

Tyrone Davis was the first casuality of the tribal switch. He talked about the switch, how much chicken he actually ate, and greeting the new members of the tribe.

So do you think you should have stayed quiet when you got back to camp? How could you have played that differently?

No, I don't think I should have stayed quiet. There are always the "what ifs," I could have said nothing and there could have been some kind of consequence to that as well. I played the role of the Wal Mart greeter when the kids came over. I said "hey, welcome, we're working together" and I basically told them what we had. And then I asked them for their input. I told them we'd had a fire for weeks, and they seemed amazed by that. So I told them everybody goes and grabs a bunch of wood and we stock it over here, planning for the evening and when it gets cold and rainy. Basically what I was doing was trying to welcome them over, just like if I was welcoming someone into my own house I'd say "hey, if you need towels, there in that cabinet. If you need more pillows or blankets, they're over here." And then I asked them at the end what they thought about that, and how they did it. I just wanted us to be the best tribe - our ideas, their ideas, put them together. So I did do that, it wasn't a dictatorship like they showed it on television at all.

Were you surprised at how they singled you out for eating the chicken?

That was a little bit of a surprise to me. The way that went down was, I made sure everyone ate, I ate after everyone else. In fact, people started digging in and one person was away somewhere on a walk, and I waited until they came back. I didn't take all the chicken that was left after that, I was just the last person to eat. And then everyone came and got seconds. I got my share. If you look at it again, what you saw Tyrone eating was bone. Chicken bone, gristle, and cartilage. You didn't see me eating a Fred Flinstone dinosaur leg. That was just presentation and perception, just like the giving the kids the speech what to do. It wasn't like that at all.

After watching the show, why do you think NaOnka found it so tough at your camp? Do you think it was because she lost all her power, or was it the weather?

The only thing I knew of that she found tough was that night, when it was raining, the weather, the elements. That's what I think. I don't know if it was anything to do with power or not. I don't even know if she had power over there.

So what was it like to get a pep talk from Jimmy Johnson?

It was just a pep talk, it wasn't that big. That's probably the one time I did something just to play the game. I'm very self-motivated. That doesn't mean being immune to being inspired by others, but Jimmy Johnson, he's great at what he did but this is not the NFL, this is a game. I mean, you lead in your arena, you're obviously a great and proven leader in your arena, and I'm a good leader in my arena, because I lead people too. He leads people to win millions of dollars in football championships, I lead people in situations where they could live or die, we're going in burning buildings. That pep talk was, whatever, it was cute.

Who were your allies out there? What was your strategy going in?

My strategy, as is my strategy in life, was just to be true to who I am and operate from a standpoint of integrity and ethics. As best as possible, to not lie to people and just be straight up, do what I need to do and be my best at it. And that's what I did. If I tried to figure these people out and tried to figure out a strategy based on these people, I'd catch a brain cramp. I did make some adjustments as I went along because I didn't want to be premature... I didn't want to make some decisions based on prejudices, like judging people prematurely. I wanted to talk to people to see who they were.

Let's talk a little about Jimmy T. We saw him talking about how you didn't want to come out of the game in the sandbag tossing challenge, was that just TV drama? What was really going on there?

I didn't really have a problem coming out. And like Jimmy J said, we made a plan, we talked about it. But the way that Jimmy T went about doing it, he was a hindrance, he was like a heckler on my own team, and I actually had to tell him to shut up. I was handling my business for a while, and the last barrel, the last one or two, were the furthest away. Of course it's easy to say you would have nailed them all, but the fact is, he didn't. It was almost like he was working against the team because he was thinking about Jimmy T. I didn't have a problem deferring to anybody, if you think you can do it, do it. That last challenge, with the water wheel, I told Benry he needed to throw because he did really well in the bean bag toss on the barrels. And he said no, let's swap. And that was probably strategy on his part, so if he failed, he wouldn't look like the failure.

You had so many funny one-liners ... how much funny stuff by Tyrone happened that didn't make it on TV?

It was quite a bit of funny stuff. I actually consider myself to be a funny guy, I love to laugh, and the only way you would probably see that is by my facial expressions on the show. People asked me about my facial expressions and I say when people say stupid stuff, I give them a stupid look. There were probably some things that I didn't do because of the audience ... some people not getting my references.... there was someone on my tribe who didn't know who Beyonce was.

What were your thoughts on the tribe reshuffling?

My reaction was okay, new challenge, this is going to be interesting, the kids are coming! I had some subconscious perceptions based on how they conducted themselves at some of the challenges, that was basically it. Then I knew we had to do what we had to do. I quickly started sizing people up, seeing who did well at some of the previous challenges. I thought Chase appeared to be one of the stronger members. Of course, most of our perceptions are based on physical perception because we didn't have a lot of time to talk or interact, because the only time we see the other tribe is at challenges.

Did you feel like, since Marty went to the other tribe, a bit of relief knowing that this was your opportunity to step up and take on that leadership role?

Not at all, totally opposite. I don't feel that Marty had control of the tribe. Marty probably made you guys think that, maybe that's the way it's being portrayed on TV. In my opinion, Marty didn't have control of the tribe, and I didn't ask for control of the tribe either. I was put in that position, and I didn't run from it. I know there are some inherent risks that come with leadership, so be it, and I was ready to take on that responsibility and deal with those risks. It could be argued that I was a leader even when Jimmy Johnson was on the show. He was a voice for our team, you can't really say that he led. It was natural that people deferred to him by default because he's an established, proven leader. But every one of us, I think, were leaders in our own right. So I don't think Marty had control. Just like it was portrayed that my vote was swayed based on a conversation that Marty had with me, and nothing was further from the truth.

Why do you think you became such a big target after NaOnka was clearly struggling and had said multiple times that she was ready to go? Do you think there was one particular thing, like the chicken incident, or do you think they felt threatened by how strong a player you were?

I think I was a threat, they were threatened by how strong a player I was. And after seeing how I was portrayed on TV, it was probably perceived that I thought I was the daddy, that I was dictating, having a big speech with them, and that's not at all the case. When they came over, I was just welcoming them and showing them how we had done things, like stockpiling the wood, planning for the future as grown folks do. We live for today and the future, whereas young folks live for today. And then after every conversation where I showed them how we had been doing things, I asked them if they had any ideas or input, because it's about "we" and how we need to work together.

The chicken thing, I didn't eat any more chicken than anyone else. I waited until everyone else had eaten, which is what I do in my regular life. When I eat with the firefighters I make sure they all get their food before I do because that way if we get a run, they'll have eaten and I'll go without.

During the time that you were there, was there anyone you singled out that if you had to leave the competiton, you would like to see win?

Mmmm, no. I can only base it on the people that I encountered. The people on the original LaFlor tribe that stayed over there, I can't really speak to them because I never knew them. I did think Marty was crafty and that he'll probably do well in the game, and so far he is. I would have liked to see Jimmy T do well because he's actually a decent guy.

Did you realize that NaOnka had a hidden immunity idol?

No, she never mentioned that she had a hidden immunity idol. Someone asked earlier about Na.... I wasn't surprised.... I knew I was on the radar for sure, but I did think that she should have been voted off before me based on that whole episode in the shelter. But there were probably conversations that took place that I didn't know about.

Did you think about suggesting killing the rooster rather than one of the hens?

No, because if it was up to me, remember I was the person that didn't want to kill anything because we got constant egg production. And if you kill one of the hens, then your egg production is cut in half. The reason that people said to keep the rooster around was because hens produce better, or more, when there's a rooster around.

Thank you to The Irish Eyes for transcribing
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Re: Survivor: Interview with Tyrone "I played the role of the Wal Mart greeter"

Did he even watch Survivor before this? These people that come on the show that act like they have no idea how to play, have no idea of how the conditions are going to be truly amaze me.

Rule 1- You don't come across like a bossy know it all giving orders to everyone and generally acting like you're trying to tell everyone what to do, where they should put their stuff, who should do which job etc. etc.

He acted like he had no clue in how to act with the switch up. Number 1 rule is you keep your mouth shut for the most part, be friendly, DON"T give orders to ANYONE. And don't say a word unless its something positive. Idiots.

First with Jimmy J who should have known clearly how the conditions were going to be, then this idiot with absolutely no idea on how to act.

And I literally think they went out of their way to pick losers with delusions of grandeur, Jimmy T., Marty, Nonka, now this guy? Jimmy Johnson won 4 championships, what have you done? Oh yeah, you're a great leader around the dumpster behind the restaurant at night, leading the other bums by telling them what chicken bones they can have that have been thrown out by the restaurant.
    Last edited by ActMax; 10-19-2010 at 10:45 AM.

You had so many funny one-liners ... how much funny stuff by Tyrone happened that didn't make it on TV?

It was quite a bit of funny stuff. I actually consider myself to be a funny guy, I love to laugh, and the only way you would probably see that is by my facial expressions on the show. People asked me about my facial expressions and I say when people say stupid stuff, I give them a stupid look. There were probably some things that I didn't do because of the audience ... some people not getting my references.... there was someone on my tribe who didn't know who Beyonce was.
    From the very first episode I was hoping that Tyrone would at least make the jury because of his funny facial expressions during TC.

Thanks for the interview!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My husband and I kept saying "all he is doing is sucking on a bone" I really liked him.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Jimmy Johnson won 4 championships, what have you done? Oh yeah, you're a great leader around the dumpster behind the restaurant at night, leading the other bums by telling them what chicken bones they can have that have been thrown out by the restaurant.
    He is a Fire Chief. Pretty important leadership role if you ask me.

+ Reply to Thread