+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Finale Episode Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS

FORT Fogey

Re: Rodger question

Originally posted by ItsAllAboutMe
    Did Rodger get andy crap for his comments he made about gays?
    You know, I have to say that Alex's defense of homosexuals was one reason that I liked him in the earlier episodes. He really stood up for his morals and convictions. However, once Jenna and Heidi got their claws into him, he only seemed interested in the same trivial things they were...

Originally posted by stepscot
    I know, I know....it's already been said, but Matthew.....WOW He looked terrific! He reminded me of Colby at the reunion. I thought Colby had the same rugged good looks that Matthew has. While I didn't think he was unattractive during the show, I certainly didn't realize that he looked like THAT!
    colby was kinda hot too...

Gotta love good ol' mateo and that new spiked hair of his.
    I thought he would come back clean shaven, (which he did.) but not with that hair, wow what a great change. I love the highlighted/frosted tips too.

Someone please for the love of god, vidcap the Reuion show I need pictures lol
    The things you regret most in life are the risks you didn't take. -Matthew Von Ertfelda

FORT Fan

Did we witness a Jenna transformation last night?

I must admit that I, too, was shocked after last night's final TC vote. Not so much with the outcome, but with the margin of victory.

I really do not think Matt deserved to lose by five votes. But, in the final analysis, whether you lose by 1, 3, 5 or 7 votes is immaterial. It is a loss nonetheless.

In some ways, it might actually be more comforting to Matt to be blown out of the water the way he was. If it had been a 4-3 vote, Matt might well be spending the rest of his life wondering what he could have done differently to sway that one vote he needed ("I was this close to winning!" said with the thumb and index finger almost touching and peering through the space between them). Losing by five votes seems to be more indicative of a jury who truly believed for whatever reason(s) that you did not deserve the title. In other words, Matt may be thinking that it might just as well have been impossible for him to win anyway. Just my $0.02.

In any case, the real reason for this post is to ask a question. As strange as it may seem, I really found Jenna to be far less odious during the final episode than I did in all previous ones. I was never a Jenna fan (didn't like Heidi either), but I really found her to be much more palatable during last night's episode. It was like she had some sort of epiphany during her final three days in the jungle. And there but for her "Matt doesn't need the money" comment at the final TC, I found her to be somewhat...dare I say it...likeable! Am I crazy or did anyone else seem to notice this? I cannot quite put my finger on what it was. Maybe getting away from Heidi allowed her to think on her own...I dunno.

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't detract from the fact that she was truly a horrible person throughout the vast majority of the show. After all, she is only 21 years old. And, while I will never defend her snotty, whiny, self-centered attitude, her overbearing arrogance and the cruel way in which she sometimes treated others, I will say that at 21 a lot of people still have a lot of growing up to do. Hopefully, Survivor has provided many of the life lessons Jenna required.

Humby submitted for your edification...

Originally posted by BravoFan
    This is the precise reason that I no longer enjoy Survivor.
    I'm sorry....I still watch it because it is one of the better produced reality shows. But I much prefer Eco-Challenge and The Amazing Race.
    I have to agree with you BF. Although I really enjoyed my first true season of Survivor, I was under the impression that it wasnt only about interpersonal relationships and all that. I believed that there was some weight given to people that show the skills to adapt and thrive in a hostile, non modern environment. Matt's response to Dave's question, I thought, offered true insight into his playing skills. Didnt he answer "Colin Powell and his idea of versatility" or something to that affect?? I mean, Matt was truly versatile out there. He proved his ability to provide food, fire, shelter, physically and mentally stick with it, and still played the game as he learned it.

Perhaps CBS ought to rethink the whole jury voting process....my idea is that in the end, the jury, before voting for the sole survivor, must vote for a couple of categories that will give forced votes to one or the other. Kinda like Seniors in High School usually do...they vote for the better player, the one who contributed more to the tribe as a whole, etc. These "elected votes" will then count as a vote FOR the person who wins them. Have 2 categories, so in the end, there are 9 total votes coming from the jury. Dont know if this makes sense....... But in my idea, there would be 2 "wildcard votes" that the jury would first vote on to award to either contestant. Then the jury would not only have more to contemplate, but it might change the way they vote at final TC.

Anyway, I agree...I enjoy TAR even more because it takes skill and interpersonal relationship savvy to win. Even though Flo gave up several times, she had Zach, and they had the rebound abilities of youth to make the final push for the prize.

Another thing about final TC that I was thinking is this....more than a few people have said that the jury questions for the F2 were kind of tame, and that their answers were also not all that. I know a few people have mentioned that there was no "sue" speech. But I would say that most of the tough questions and answers and emotions had already been dealt with while the tribe was still out playing. I mean, Jenna's tirade towards Rob was all of them dealing with it out at camp. Even Butch's ouster was dealt with right there....Jenna noted that Rob was playing a better game, and that they should keep him instead of Butch. I think Butch probably realizes that the second he gets voted out.

Just a little tangent for y'all.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I read through all the posts here and it looks like I'm the only one at the FORT who thinks that even paranoid people get followed sometimes...I hate to be the only conspiracy theorist, but oh well, here goes... I just don't think there is any way possible that the title "sole survivor" would pass from male to female everytime without a little help from the big puppet master. I think some serious campaigning was going on for Jenna at loser lodge, and I don't think Heidia and Alex were the ring leaders. I think Mark Burnett wanted a woman to win the boys vs. girls version of survivor (we would have all forgotten it ever was boys vs girls if they hadn't reminded us every episode).

If Matt had lost 5-2 or 4-3 I might have bought it. But no way do I believe Christy went from "there is no way my evil step-sisters are getting a million dollars" to "she outwitted, outlasted, outplayed" without some kind of inducement. I don't really buy Deena or Dave's vote either. Anyway, so I'm paranoid, but if you were on the jury, and you had just won maybe $10,000 or something, and Mark Burnett approached you at Loser Lodge and offered to double it under a clause of total confidentiality....maybe only the principal with principles would say no to that....I think it's funny that the score had to be such a slam dunk, though. Like MB was trying to convince us "See, she really did deserve it! Everyone voted for her, even the one who despised her, so she must have played well, see? See? Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Oh well. Bygones. It won't stop me from watching, because the show is still entertaining.

I hope Matt the chameleon morphs into a new role, the perfect boyfriend. Then he marries Jenna in a community property state...etc.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    Originally posted by Leo
    I agree. Throw out the recrap episode, so the overall number of episodes won't change.
    Great idea, Leo!

Re: Did we witness a Jenna transformation last night?

Originally posted by tmcrae
    I must admit that I, too, was shocked after last night's final TC vote. Not so much with the outcome, but with the margin of victory.

In any case, the real reason for this post is to ask a question. As strange as it may seem, I really found Jenna to be far less odious during the final episode than I did in all previous ones. I was never a Jenna fan (didn't like Heidi either), but I really found her to be much more palatable during last night's episode. It was like she had some sort of epiphany during her final three days in the jungle. And there but for her "Matt doesn't need the money" comment at the final TC, I found her to be somewhat...dare I say it...likeable! Am I crazy or did anyone else seem to notice this? I cannot quite put my finger on what it was.

I am with you TM....Jenna did come off as much less odious during the finale and reunion show. I would even go further and say that it started with last Thursday's episode. When she acknowledged that Rob was playing the game and settled down about his deviousness, and started to just ease up about the whole thing, I started to ease up on my dislike for her.

I still cant believe that Christy voted for Jenna. Although, I can understand the fact that her post vote off comments were made at a highly emotional time for her(just backstabbed, and taken out of the running), but once you are removed from the game, your emotions get a chance to cool off, and you start to think like the person you were originally, instead of the charachter that you were playing for MB.

FORT Fan
    Originally posted by spegs

I think some serious campaigning was going on for Jenna at loser lodge, and I don't think Heidia and Alex were the ring leaders. I think Mark Burnett wanted a woman to win the boys vs. girls version of survivor (we would have all forgotten it ever was boys vs girls if they hadn't reminded us every episode).

If Matt had lost 5-2 or 4-3 I might have bought it. But no way do I believe Christy went from "there is no way my evil step-sisters are getting a million dollars" to "she outwitted, outlasted, outplayed" without some kind of inducement. I don't really buy Deena or Dave's vote either. Anyway, so I'm paranoid, but if you were on the jury, and you had just won maybe $10,000 or something, and Mark Burnett approached you at Loser Lodge and offered to double it under a clause of total confidentiality....maybe only the principal with principles would say no to that....I think it's funny that the score had to be such a slam dunk, though. Like MB was trying to convince us "See, she really did deserve it! Everyone voted for her, even the one who despised her, so she must have played well, see? See? Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
    Given all the crap that MB and CBS went through with Stacey Stillman from the first Survivor, I would have to think that coercing jury members to vote in a particular way would be way too dangerous to even consider let alone attempt. The Survivor franchise is far and away more valuable than maintaining a "boy-girl" winning cycle. They managed to weather the original conspiracy advanced by Stacey, and it wasn't even close to involving a jury vote. If they ever did try to sway a jury vote for the eventual winner and word of it got out, the show would lose all credibility and would quickly become little more than a dirty little footnote in game-show television history mentioned along side the likes of "Twenty-One".

Highly unlikely.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair

Re: Re: Did we witness a Jenna transformation last night?

Originally posted by dobolina
    I am with you TM....Jenna did come off as much less odious during the finale and reunion show. I would even go further and say that it started with last Thursday's episode.
    I think she became more human and less obnoxious when Heidi Ho walked out of the picture.

+ Reply to Thread