+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Survivor 22 (speculation/spoilers)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Survivor 22 (speculation/spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I only said the season would be a disappointment to some of us; I realize that other people would be OK with Matt winning w/o having to actually spend/survive more than a few days total as part of a tribe, and some people are actively rooting for him to win. So obviously they won't be disappointed. And I can, and do, still find the episodes entertaining, but feel disappointed in the fact that strategy, even an "under the radar strategy", which is a valid one and still requires personal interraction with other players, may be of absolutely no consequence in determining the winner this time.

Regarding Matt being more "deserving" than, say, Natalie or Ashley, we are hypothesizing all this based on the assumption that the girls will have utilized no end game to get them to F3, which we still don't know. Maybe they will or maybe they won't. But however they get there, if they do, it will still be based on making certain strategic decisions to align with the right people to go to the end with. To me, that's more deserving than someone who has only been able to survive one or maybe two tribal councils without benefit of immunity, which we are hypothesizing will be the case with Matt if he makes it to F3. Even with the introduction of the HII, it does not afford someone that kind of luxury.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Matt will re-enter the game at F5, and actively work to form his own alliance to take Rob down, in which case I would find him a more worthy winner. However, my speculation has all been based on the assumption that he will be as clueless and incompetent strategically in his third chance as he was in his second. We shall see.
    What I hate about under the radar strategy is when there's no strategy whatsoever. I don't consider leeching onto someone that'll eventually get reemed by the jury for being deceitful and backstabbing and winning just because a strategy. That's dumb luck. Had Rob been on the other tribe, who knows what would have happened. But that's all a matter of opinion. If there's actual strategy going on and not just letting someone else call the shots, fine. If the two girls actually do something, I'll consider them more worthy than I do at this point. But I'm not counting on it. Matt may not not be able to play a social game with his tribe, and may be too dependent on God, but he's having to fight to stay in it. If he didn't want it bad enough he could just throw the challenges. The only one deserving so far to win, for me, is Rob.

If Matt (or whoever) re-enters the game at the final 5, it'll probably benefit someone that probably would have been on the chopping block at that point to have someone new come back, and likely with an ax to grind with Rob. So it's also just dumb luck for him to make it to the finals. I guess we'll wait and see. But like any season, looks like no matter the outcome, a good majority won't be happy
    Last edited by karalott; 04-27-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Isn't it entirely possible that nobody on RI will come back to the tribe, but will be part of a final "duel on RI and be the 3rd member of the Final 3 ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Isn't it entirely possible that nobody on RI will come back to the tribe, but will be part of a final "duel on RI and be the 3rd member of the Final 3 ?
    It's certainly possible, nobody really knows how it will play out, not even the contestants at this point in the game. And if it is as you suggest, it will be even more of a travesty IMO, because if the person is Matt, for example, he will have spent only 7 out of the 39 days not on RI. Not only will he not have the disadvantage of having to plot against, break promises to, and vote people out, he will also have the advantage of bonding time with all the jury members in a setting where no strategy was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Rob knows very well the value of a solid two-person alliance, and he could see echoes of him and Amber in how close Matt and Andrea were becoming so early in the game. Taking Matt out at that point might not have been completely necessary, he could have watched him for awhile or even taken Andrea out instead, but it definitely needed to happen as far as Rob was concerned.

The 2nd time, Matt made a bone-headed move to plot to flip and blindside Rob, then immediately confess it all to Rob and OUT his partner, which again was Andrea. Now Rob has two reason to vote Matt back out: 1. he could see Andrea/Matt could easily pick up where they left off and become a strong two-person alliance and 2. they outed the fact that they were thinking about flipping.

How could Rob NOT have voted him out after that??

Poor Matt my butt. He orchestrated his ouster in both cases, although certainly more so the 2nd time around. If he somehow comes back to win this thing he better show a complete 180 degree turn around in game play because what we've seen so far from Matt has been skill and/or luck at winning the RI challenges and pure crap gameplay.
    If the Zaps zap Rob and vote for Matt to win, it would just be to exact some revenge on Rob.

Matt winning while not being involved in the "social" part of the game would serve to negate a basic concept of the game. I still recall the talk of Richard Hatch winning because he was the only one who understood this was a social game. It seems that Matt is the only one who does NOT understand this.

So if I may quote you
    Poor Matt my butt.
    Maybe they can call him "Lord of redemption Island" ... and let him keep his buff.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    It's certainly possible, nobody really knows how it will play out, not even the contestants at this point in the game. And if it is as you suggest, it will be even more of a travesty IMO, because if the person is Matt, for example, he will have spent only 7 out of the 39 days not on RI. Not only will he not have the disadvantage of having to plot against, break promises to, and vote people out, he will also have the advantage of bonding time with all the jury members in a setting where no strategy was necessary.

Agreed. He is a cry baby.

I have no issues with having faith in God's will and and asking for His help.

BUT.....

Matt's activities bring to mind the story of the guy who stands at the gas station praying and saying if God wants him to continue driving He'll fill his tank with gasoline .

Then the Heavens open and God says ... "Son, you must first at least remove the gas cap"

Mohandas Gandhi

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I kind of doubt that'll happen, because I do think that wouldn't go over well with fans. Matt could lose simply because people felt he was never in the game long enough to play it, even though RI is a part of this seasons game. To me, I don't think it's any different than someone coat tailing riding to the end. Strategy? Rob's the only one that seems to have any of that. So if he doesn't make the final 3, as the spoilers indicate, I'd root for Matt out of those 3. However, I doubt he wins and it'll go to one of the girls rumored to be there. Wasn't the original rumor that the last person to come back from RI would join at the final 5?
    Last edited by karalott; 04-28-2011 at 02:25 PM.

FORT Fogey

Sorry, but to me, all that crying by Matt is ridiculous. He's not been alone on RI very much as someone new is always arriving. Even the girls aren't crybabies like he is and they are under the same dire, unpleasant conditions. Grow up, Matt, you signed up for it, you know the drill. Just not a fan of this guy at all. If he isn't the winner, it looked like a plan for sympathy from viewers to win the fan favorite vote. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Gina28 View Post
    Sorry, but to me, all that crying by Matt is ridiculous. He's not been alone on RI very much as someone new is always arriving. Even the girls aren't crybabies like he is and they are under the same dire, unpleasant conditions. Grow up, Matt, you signed up for it, you know the drill. Just not a fan of this guy at all. If he isn't the winner, it looked like a plan for sympathy from viewers to win the fan favorite vote. jmo
    That's exactly how I feel, as well. I felt manipulated watching that scene, as well as the scene after Julie lost when she said "having seen what Matt's gone through I want to go home and find a church and join and do some good" - hey, I have no problem with her joining a church. I think that it's a great thing, but c'mon...what exactly has Matt "gone through?" He is a med student who from all accounts has a great life outside of the game. His big trial is being alone off and on in a tropical location, having to live with relatively little food, and ... he was backstabbed by people he didn't know very well and who were certainly not "friends" as he labelled them. He hasn't lost his job and his home. He isn't ill with some terrible disease. He's young and fit and seems to have a great life. He is not Job. IDK and this is my opinion, but the whole dramatic thing seemed to be blown way out of proportion and although I risk wrath by saying this, Matt, grow up.

Ugh!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    That's exactly how I feel, as well. I felt manipulated watching that scene, as well as the scene after Julie lost when she said "having seen what Matt's gone through I want to go home and find a church and join and do some good" - hey, I have no problem with her joining a church. I think that it's a great thing, but c'mon...what exactly has Matt "gone through?" He is a med student who from all accounts has a great life outside of the game. His big trial is being alone off and on in a tropical location, having to live with relatively little food, and ... he was backstabbed by people he didn't know very well and who were certainly not "friends" as he labelled them. He hasn't lost his job and his home. He isn't ill with some terrible disease. He's young and fit and seems to have a great life. He is not Job. IDK and this is my opinion, but the whole dramatic thing seemed to be blown way out of proportion and although I risk wrath by saying this, Matt, grow up.

Ugh!
    I so agree! And with you too, Gina28. Matt is no victim. I loved Jeff asking him about his god.

I will be shocked if he gets fan favorite. I will vote for Rob, definately, as will many others.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Matt seems like he's on the verge of depression, and I mean that as a psychiatric diagnosis (not that I"m qualified to make one!), not just that he feels sad. His sadness seems way out of proportion. I mean Julie says RI is the best night's sleep she's had since they got there. RI can't be all that bad---except for the first few days and off and on since then there's always company dropping by. We don't know what the food situation is, but no one seems to be complaining about it.

As was said above, he doesn't have any "real life" problems that we know of...unlike, say, Julie, who is about to lose her house for example, and has kids to consider. Yet she's cheerful and outgoing despite the fact that it's been obvious for a while that she has very little chance of winning, has been sleeping under a leaky roof, and has had to put up with Phillip's ranting.

+ Reply to Thread