+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Survivor 22 (speculation/spoilers)

Re: Survivor 22 (speculation/spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    If Matt ends up winning by bypassing the whole strategic and social aspect of the game, the only good thing to come out of it IMO will be that the producers will either retool or totally disband the whole RI concept. I seriously doubt that this kind of result was what they had in mind when they came up with it. Otherwise, they may start getting people going on the show who are superior athletes and good with puzzles, who can train/practice their skills in those areas in advance, with the intention of just winning all the RI challenges, avoiding all other parts of the game, and getting to the end with no "blood on their hands".
    Absolutely right, on all counts. Spending a month on RI, while grueling in its own right, is not the game of Survivor, and someone winning this game having not really played it, would be a shame. Matt seems nice enough, cute enough, and I don't dislike him at all - give him Fan Favorite or something, but to win?? That would be wrong.

The RI twist should have been over after the first time he came back into the game. Extending it like this is unnecessary and not at all entertaining. The way they've not told us much about it leads me to believe they've been keeping their options open as to when the players would go back in, how many times, etc. - like they're making it up as they go along. I don't like it at all.

On Jeff Probst's blog (jeffprobst.com) he has a section answering questions. Someone commented today that "Matt had pretty much spilled the beans" and wondered if he'd get in trouble for it. I had the impression it was a very recent interview with Matt. Anyone seen anything of the sort? I didn't find anything by Googling.

Also, in his Q&A yesterday on EW, Jeff said that "eight people" will be competing on the finale. Good grief! I wonder if it means there will still be three on Redemption and five in the game? The finale is Sunday night, May 15: that leaves three Wednesday shows (wonder if one will be a "clips" show?) then the two-hour finale and reunion show on Sunday night.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit View Post
    On Jeff Probst's blog (jeffprobst.com) he has a section answering questions. Someone commented today that "Matt had pretty much spilled the beans" and wondered if he'd get in trouble for it. I had the impression it was a very recent interview with Matt. Anyone seen anything of the sort? I didn't find anything by Googling.

Also, in his Q&A yesterday on EW, Jeff said that "eight people" will be competing on the finale. Good grief! I wonder if it means there will still be three on Redemption and five in the game? The finale is Sunday night, May 15: that leaves three Wednesday shows (wonder if one will be a "clips" show?) then the two-hour finale and reunion show on Sunday night.
    If they have one elimination in each of the next 3 episodes, that will leave 5 Murlonios, and 3 people on RI at the start of the finale. Good grief, how are they going to get rid of 5 people to get down to 3 for the FTC in 2 hours? Sounds ridiculous. I hope Jeff misspoke. If not, at least I hope the RI winner rejoins the tribe when there are still all 5 people left (who haven't already been voted off). The idea that someone could re-enter the game when they only need to survive one TC to make it to the end is a terrible one.

I found the Matt reference. It's a radio interview. It's six minutes. If you want to listen, paste this into your browser:

totalaxxess.com/components/com_listen/files/audio_315.mp3"]http://www.totalaxxess.com/components/com_listen/files/audio_315.mp3

The interviewer says, "you're the only person ever to get kicked off and re-enter the game twice." Matt doesn't correct or deny. Could be the interviewer misspoke--counting Matt's first comeback as his second time in the game. One other interesting thing: Matt's father spilled the beans that it was Matt's agent who made the initial approach to get him on the show. Seems the boy has been in some music videos and has an interest in show-biz. Sighhhhh. They all think they're the next big star!

Probst was pretty clear about the "eight"--he was defending the whole Redemption Island concept. If Matt gets to Final Three by coming back last minute, he's a lock for the win: there are likely to be five Zapaterans on the jury and I imagine they'd vote for him just to spite Rob and Ometepe.
    Last edited by BritLit; 04-22-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I found the Matt reference. It's a radio interview. It's six minutes. If you want to listen, paste this into your browser:

totalaxxess.com/components/com_listen/files/audio_315.mp3"]http://www.totalaxxess.com/components/com_listen/files/audio_315.mp3

The interviewer says, "you're the only person ever to get kicked off and re-enter the game twice." Matt doesn't correct or deny. Could be the interviewer misspoke--counting Matt's first comeback as his second time in the game. One other interesting thing: Matt's father spilled the beans that it was Matt's agent who made the initial approach to get him on the show. Seems the boy has been in some music videos and has an interest in show-biz. Sighhhhh. They all think they're the next big star!

Probst was pretty clear about the "eight"--he was defending the whole Redemption Island concept. If Matt gets to Final Three by coming back last minute, he's a lock for the win: there are likely to be five Zapaterans on the jury and I imagine they'd vote for him just to spite Rob and Ometepe.
    That certainly is a possibility. And if Jeff and the producers already know that Matt's won by circumventing all aspects of the game except winning challenges via the unintended misstep (IMO) that is RI, no wonder he is trying to defend the concept now; to do otherwise would be to admit that it nullified the whole strategic component of the game (which for me was always at the heart of what made Survivor unique) and was a mistake. But for all Jeff's defense of it now, I bet they'll make sure things don't play out similarly next season.

That would be sad. This game is about outwitting, outlasting, outplaying, not about spite. In the past seasons the players have gotten that concept. I hope they do this one as well.

FORT Fogey

You make an excellent point. I don't like it but it is good!

I don't like it either, and it would end up being the worst winner, IMO. Not because Matt isn't a nice guy, or doesn't need the money, or any of that stuff, but because he did NOT play the entire game for the the entire game. He was in solitary confinement for 80% of it, and merely had to stay there by winning a brief challenge that haven't even been that difficult, IMO. He didn't have to risk getting voted off RI, and he was voted off twice in the actual game. He doesn't have to worry about p*ssing people off because he hasn't interacted with any of them for long. He doesn't have to worry about stabbing anyone in his alliance in the back, he doesn't have to face an angry jury, he doesn't have to justify his actions. What is he going to say at the FTC...."Uh, well....I didn't play very well in the game and I got voted off twice, but I built a darn good tower of cards and dominoes, so give me the million!!" UGH

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I don't like it either, and it would end up being the worst winner, IMO. Not because Matt isn't a nice guy, or doesn't need the money, or any of that stuff, but because he did NOT play the entire game for the the entire game. He was in solitary confinement for 80% of it, and merely had to stay there by winning a brief challenge that haven't even been that difficult, IMO. He didn't have to risk getting voted off RI, and he was voted off twice in the actual game. He doesn't have to worry about p*ssing people off because he hasn't interacted with any of them for long. He doesn't have to worry about stabbing anyone in his alliance in the back, he doesn't have to face an angry jury, he doesn't have to justify his actions. What is he going to say at the FTC...."Uh, well....I didn't play very well in the game and I got voted off twice, but I built a darn good tower of cards and dominoes, so give me the million!!" UGH
    ICAM. Matt winning would severely compromise the integrity of the game, because it reduces the many, often conflicting, components of it to 2 simple ones; winning challenges and being a pleasant person. Succeeding at those may be an admirable achievement, but it's not Survivor as we have known it. I can't imagine any true, old school, "purist" fans of the show being happy about this prospect.

I also wonder if Matt wasn't as "cute" as he is, if he would have as many viewers rooting for him to win.

FORT Fogey

Yes, sweetpea. I agree.

Pondersosa has a way of putting the game behind them for some and with 3 or 4 Ometempe on the jury, I still say Matt cannot win. No one left on O back stabbed anyone on Zap. They just routinely voted them off. No promises broken, no blindsides. They may be bitter but they only have their own game play to blame.

+ Reply to Thread