+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 5/16 Finale Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 5/16 Finale Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH;3905488;
    I think the issue is people are watching this game for all sorts of different reasons. There are the people who could care less about strategy, and just care about the entertainment factor. Doesn't matter if the person played the worst game of all time, if they make for good TV they should win in those people's minds.

Then you have the people who love the challenges, so they think if someone dominates the challenges they deserve to win. Those were the same people who voted for Ozzy over Yul in the Cook Islands finale before Yul eventually won.

Then there's the strategy/social crowd, who look at someone like Sandra and see a full line of great moves she made over her past two seasons, and feel she majorly deserved to win, but because she wasn't strong or ever flashy per say she won't ever get the respect from the two groups I mentioned above.

Me personally, I think once you get past the tribe vs. tribe part of this game and enter the individual game, challenges mean NOTHING. If you're a good enough social player, you can never win immunity and still make the end and win. If you're a strong player with a bad attitude, it doesn't matter how many fire buckets you can light or puzzles you can put together. If you're brawny with the social game of an infected wart and the strategy of a moron, you won't win, period. Hey Terry, heh.

Cirie said it best when poor Ice Cream Scooper Erik went home. "My Mother always says, you may not be able to beat them with these (muscles), but you can always beat them with this (brains)". It's so true in this game. The challenges matter in the first half of the season. After that they're just time fillers IMO. A good social player, a good strategic player, and an intelligent person can go without winning challenges or playing 50 immunity idols in a season and still win it. It's not doing "nothing", it's called playing the game. But since so many people get enamored with people like Russell and their "remove a piece of gum off a windshield with a sledgehammer" style play, they find someone who actually plays the more important parts of the game inferior. Someone like a Sandra, or even like a Yul. I'll always favor those players because I think they really "get" what this game is about, and I love that.
    This is my analysis of the season quite well - in fact all of them. Some have to do a mixture of both: Had Tom made it further he'd had to start showing more brawn because hew was quite dominate in his season.

And - Yul and Sandra are among my favorites - as well as Bob (who is usually panned) because they used their brains and it got people ousted for it. Bob had two fake HIIs made and one was successfully used wrong, and the other the person I think felt safe and was blindsided. But, unlike say Ozzy or Ethan (I forgot who did this), he made is super convincing in order to fool the players into thinking it was real.

Like Sandra said too when voting for Rupert - she knew that she could write his name and he'd still vote for her to win, and she was right. She knew Rupert well. (Personally, I think in a way it was a respect vote as well as a "him or me" type vote).

FORT Fan

I think that Sandra played the best game for her that she could. She wasn't just an under the radar player, she figured out early on that by making Russell believe that she wasn't a threat, she would be able to stay longer. Remember that she also was able to focus Russell on targeting other people (I think that was why in part he targeted Coach) by making them appear to be bigger threats. The strategy of appeasing Russell's ego worked like a charm, and Russell was gloating to her that he had her beat. Sandra just pointed out during Tribal Council that her strategy wasn't about doing nothing, but that she had tried very hard to get Russell out. It may not have worked, but she played hard at targeting Russell and Russell never suspected. None of the people she went to ratted her out, or if they did she had made herself such a non-threat in Russell's eye he dismissed her, even when she straight up told him that she was against him, and went after others. She walked a very fine line and I think earned her win. I would have liked to have seen the entire final tribal council, as I think they didn't show some key arguments she made in her favor.

Russell has a big weakness also in underestimating women. He targets men because he believes that they are the bigger threat, and always made alliances with women. Lost twice to a girl. While Russell is a big player, I think that what brought him to the end this time was that he was the person you wanted to be up against in the final tribal council. If people had respected him he would have been voted out because he was a threat to win the million. As it was Parvati and the others let him do the dirty work that made him feel important, knowing they would beat him in the end.

I was sour on Sandra for most of the game, but she did well to make it tot he end with her alliance getting picked apart twice, and not being competitive in challenges. Let's not forget that Russell wasn't the only bully ont he season. Sandra openly threatened anyone who goes for the HII on multiple occasions.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhosis;3905439;
    How so?

ed: and I'll disagree in regards to a final 2 of sandra vs parvati being the same thing. it isn't. esp if parvati is the one that wins immunity, and chooses to remove russell
    Because they weren't worthy at all - that is what is laughable. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just so happens that most of the jurors agree with mine and that is all that matters!! And from another of your posts, no way will turnouts like these lead to Survivor ending. Quite the contrary; if Parvati would have won again I don't know if I could ever watch another show - and I'm sure I'm not alone there. And Russell.....well, we don't have to worry about that one because he NEVER had a chance to win. Just like last year. And the next time he plays. And the next time. His game is idiotic and he has ZERO chance to win unless he changes (which he can't).

Quote Originally Posted by Big E;3905638;
    I was sour on Sandra for most of the game, but she did well to make it tot he end with her alliance getting picked apart twice, and not being competitive in challenges. Let's not forget that Russell wasn't the only bully ont he season. Sandra openly threatened anyone who goes for the HII on multiple occasions.
    She did, but so did most of the Villains, so we can't really say it was just her. And, to my knowledge she didn't actually go after (at least with a vote) any of the ones who actually did get one.

Russell did things too that were just out of spite, similar to Sandra's burning his hat. No reason to do so, they just did it.

I don't think Russell was nearly as arrogant and brash at the final HvV tribal as he was in Samoa, but his problem is that he can't make a good case for himself. We see it as viewers and he may see it in his head, but the jury members aren't privy to everything. He needed to say "I was in control the whole game and orchestrated getting all of you voted out and here's how..."

You can argue that social game counts more then physical/strategic, but at the end of the day Russell and Parvati played a better overall game than Sandra...just MHO.
    Forever a Word Nerd

I figured Sandra was going to win.
    And, I was happy about it.
    Would have been fine if Parv had won. Anyone but Russell.
    Russell is just a very mean spirited, immature and egotistical little man.

On another note, my understanding is that the runner up in this game (in this case - Parvati) gets $100K as their prize. That would be the same amount that Russell got when he won America's favorite, correct?

And, did Russell win the $100K for America's favorite last year, too?

Sandra got her million dollar check on te Early Show today. Parvati handled herself like a lady (I do give her a lot of credit for that) and Russell handled himself like the 5 year old sore loser he comes across as being!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Ugh at Colby. I'm just reading his interviews. He admits he only voted for Sandra because he didn't like Russell or Parvati and didn't want to see either of them win. What a looooooser

It's because Russell is socially inept and arrogant that he lost twice, because he refused to change his strategy. He was less arrogant at the HvV FTC, but he still wasn't able to discern how the jury was feeling toward him.

He thinks you can screw people over, tell unnecesary lies, and then expect them to vote for you in the end. He'll never win, because he discounts the social aspect of the game and that it matters how you treat people when you send them out.

Oh, but it's never Russell that's wrong. Last season, it was the jury that was wrong. This season it the rules of the game that are wrong!

I'm sorry, but how desperate and pathetic can you get?
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

+ Reply to Thread