+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Judge Paschal "Pappy" English - Survivor Marquesas

Judge Paschal "Pappy" English - Survivor Marquesas

For everyone who remembers Pappy from Marquesas and dreaded purple rock fame, on Friday he resigned his superior court judgeship here in the Griffin, Ga. judicial circuit. Apparently, another Judge in the circuit had to resign or undergo judicial review by the state for making inappropriate comments to a female attorney in his court and Pappy knew about it and didn't turn the first Judge in. I hate hate hate this for him, because Judge Paschal English is one of the finest people you'll ever be lucky to meet. The other Judge, not so much. I will never forget the sight of Pappy running on the beach waving his huge American flag....Marquesas was shortly after 9/11 and the flag was his personal item from home that they used to be allowed to bring. (wonder why they don't do that anymore?) Pappy was retirement age anyway and now he will have more time to spend with his family and all, but this was not a great way to go out. Anyway, just wanted to pass that along....he could probably use a bunch of good wishes right about now. Thanks..
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Judge Paschal "Pappy" English - Survivor Marquesas

That saddens me on a lot of levels, but in addition to what you've said, I'm disappointed and saddened that the man we saw with Neleh would "cover up" another judge behaving that way. It's like priests or teachers protecting colleagues who abuse children....in certain professions you are held to a higher standard in supporting "the rules", and I would have expected Pappy to understand and believe in that.
    Thanks for the info,

I'm sad that he did cover up for the judge - though I do wonder if the comments were not as strong as mentioned and therefore Paschal didn't think he needed to turn the other judge in or if they were said under the claim of confidentiality, then when the other judge was outed, he said that Paschal knew too.

But, as you mentioned, he was at the retiring age, and by resigning, he would probably get some of the benefits he'd get for being at that level in the court system. Or better, he doesn't stress himself out to the point of collapse like he did in Marquesas.

(BTW, as far as personal item? - Methinks that when people started choosing ones that could have a double benefit or especially after Bob started making fake HII's with beads from the camp signs (note, they haven't done that since, and some places they've chosen are known for said beads), they didn't want players to get an unfair advantage by choosing an item that could have double benefits).

From today's Atlanta Journal Constitution. Pappy, it seems, was getting happy in the back seat.

DA: Deputy caught judge, public defender having sex

An investigation has revealed a former Fayette County judge had a sexual relationship with a public defender who had 225 cases decided in his courtroom.

Superior Court Chief Judge Paschal English's relationship with attorney Kim Cornwell is the subject of the investigation.
    W.A. Bridges Jr., AJC Superior Court Chief Judge Paschal English's relationship with attorney Kim Cornwell is the subject of the investigation.

Chief Superior Court Judge Paschal English and Kim Cornwell, an assistant public defender, were caught having sex in a parked car in October 2008, according to documents released Friday by District Attorney Scott Ballard.

A Fayette sheriff's deputy recognized English, and later learned that Cornwell was a public defender, Ballard said. The deputy's dashboard camcorder recorded part of the incident, but that video is no longer available, according to Sheriff Wayne Hannah. No charges were filed after the incident.

"Beyond that, we don't know when the intimate relationship began," Ballard said Friday.

After the two were discovered in the Water Lake subdivision, Cornwell represented defendants in 225 cases in Judge English's courtroom, Ballard said.

Despite the relationship, the investigation did not find evidence of any wrongdoing in the courtroom, according to Jeff Turner, chief investigator.

"I do not find any evidence that any instances where the state or defendant were harmed by actions of the court ever took place in Judge English's courtroom at all, much less when Kim Cornwell was the attorney for the defendant," Turner wrote about his investigation.

Turner also said both English, 66, and Cornwell, 49, declined to comment for the investigation.

In an unrelated incident, English resigned on April 23 after it became clear he had ignored a complaint from an attorney that she was being sexually harassed by another judge in the Griffin Judicial Circuit.

Months earlier, attorney Susan Brown told English that she was being repeatedly harassed with crude comments by Superior Court Judge Johnnie Caldwell. Caldwell resigned April 19. Caldwell and English represented half of the county's Griffin Judicial Circuit’s Superior Court team.

Cornwell was placed on administrative leave when allegations of the romance surfaced. After her resignation, Public Defender Joseph Saia and Ballard were asked to investigate the alleged affair. On June 1, Cornwell was placed on leave without pay, Saia said.

English was a judge for 23 years. He appeared on the reality TV show “Survivor” in 2002.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/fayette/da-deputy-caught-judge-547307.html?imw=Y
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Wow! Now, if there was ever a Survivor contestant I would have expected to be caught in scandals like this, Paschal would be one of the last ones.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3930998;
    Wow! Now, if there was ever a Survivor contestant I would have expected to be caught in scandals like this, Paschal would be one of the last ones.
    Depressing.

I couldn't remember him to save myself, so I just checked out a picture.

WOW. Sorry, but what was that woman thinking??

If I was caught, like a teenager in a parked car, I'd make sure I was caught with someone with some sex appeal, at least!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Well, the woman was around the same age as him....at least it wasn't with someone decades younger. Remember when his #1 ally in Marquesas was sweet lil Neleh? I wonder how she feels about this.

Honestly, I don't think this scandal is THAT big of a deal. I think people are more concerned with the fact that he had sex versus the fact that him having sexual escapades with this woman may have altered the outcome of courtroom judgings.

Well the whole thing has really bummed me out....I really respected Judge English but this is so, so disappointing. There are very few people I put on pedestals for any reason but to find out one of your heroes has clay feet is just....depressing. Everyone around here that knows Pappy has just totally deserted him publicly. I feel very bad for his family. :nono
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Fortunately, I don't put too many on a pedestal.
    I just think doing it in a car is kind of lame, no matter what age you are.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast