+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

Re: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3855224;
    Well, I'm sure he's seen the finale like the rest of us.
    At the time this was being filmed, "Survivor: Samoa" hadn't aired on TV, so Tom couldn't have known about Russell's game play. That said, the way Russell tends to play even a caveman (sorry Geico Caveman - you're cool, and this shows it ), can figure it out.

Re: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

I really liked Tom on his original season, and thought he was an honourable and stand-up man, but I have to agree with the minority this time because I found him INarticulate to the point of incoherence. His English was so poor that I honestly couldn't get most of what he was trying to say. What I DID get was his bitterness and disgust that those he considers beneath him, bested him, and I particularly disliked his sly way of letting the interviewer know his opinion without coming out and saying so directly - that's underhanded and sneaky, and also cowardly.
    I also disliked his superior attitude. He criticises the others for their swollen egos but his is just as massive, and I found that showed many times during the episodes, so I'm not at all surprised that he was on the outside looking in - no one enjoys condescension, and resents it, so his attitude towards some of the others led to his own downfall. I agree wholeheartedly that he failed the social test all on his own by alienating those who might have been his allies.
    It's ironic how often I find that those I like in one season I dislike the second time around, Tom being one of them, but others I continue to like and sometimes appreciate even more - I was much more disappointed at Cirie's leaving, and she was entirely correct in her evaluation, that she had only one threatening aspect, while others had three - such as Tom. Her interview was coherent, sensible, straightforward and honest, she was as much puzzled as disappointed, no puffed up pride there. Tom on the other hand - ugh.
    All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions ~ Leonardo da Vinci

All this talk about Survivor revealing your true character, jeez I always thought this was a reality show about trying to outlast everyone to win a million dollars. I love Russell's game, he's there to win not to come out looking like Mother Teresa, he's a great villian. I think Rupert is just there to try to win & not worry about how he's comming across, his has his charity & wants to make money. Tom's upset because his tribe didn't act how he wanted them to act, it's a game, not real life!

Quote Originally Posted by Beruthiel;3855539;
    I found him INarticulate to the point of incoherence.
    Whew! Glad I'm not the only one.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3855487;
    At the time this was being filmed, "Survivor: Samoa" hadn't aired on TV, so Tom couldn't have known about Russell's game play. That said, the way Russell tends to play even a caveman (sorry Geico Caveman - you're cool, and this shows it ), can figure it out.
    The interviews are done now... not while the show is being filmed.
    The interview question is:
    When you’re back home watching it on TV, what surprised you most about the Villains’ tribe?
    They aired the finale of Russels' last season before they started airing episodes of this season. lol Many people give Tom far too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3855638;
    They aired the finale of Russels' last season before they started airing episodes of this season. lol Many people give Tom far too much credit.
    I overlooked the part about him watching it on TV, but it still is post-game, so if he did identify Russell as a sneak during the filming, more power to him.

As far as Tom getting far too much credit? - I beg to differ. He's a lot more intuitive than people give him credit for. That said, he did have an ego as well and it got him - but all of the heroes really do have them save possibly Sugar and Cirie, who were more self-conscious of their game personas.

People talk about his disdain for some people playing three times but him two - yet talking about considering a third, I can understand this too. The game is obviously addictive to the players who have played it, but some of the ones here who have played it three times are media hounds (Jerri, Parvati, Amanda, Rupert, etc.) they see themselves as celebrities, so of course they'll play.

Tom I think wants to go back and compete, more a lot like Rob (I say this because he has a wife and son yet didn't complain about being away from them like Fairplay) and a couple of others. That's probably why he was so upset - he tried to play the social game as well, but was essentially blocked out a bit (he wasn't a clique) because he really hasn't used his win to make a name for himself unlike some of the others.

I feel he's also truer between himself and real life for it too, same with Cirie, Sugar and a few others whose interviews I feel are more open and honest, even if Tom's is honestly more being polite at times. And can't say as I blame him after the Heroes' honestly dumb move - numbers over healthy players - as Tom might not be as strong as James, but he is definitely stronger over an injured player.

But, when you have people who are more interested in the post-media than the game, see two people be total hypocrites to their TV persona this season (you've noticed that Russell and James have not been really edited favorably), and you're at least attempting to play the game, I can see where ego gets bruised when they outlast you.

Quadrupily when you're ousted over an injured player.

In all honesty - I can see why Tom hates the knee brace (though he doesn't admit it) - it really was an unfair advantage. James clearly couldn't walk without it, and if this were any other season, he'd probably been evacuated because a knee injury like the one he has can be crippling.

But, I have this sad feeling that the powers that be didn't want to medievac James a second time in the game, so they catered and put him in a brace. I think this was a mistake because they could easily now lose two players. Frankly, the move was dumb not only for heroes, but for the producers as well, and I think that's why Tom was upset.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    And can't say as I blame him after the Heroes' honestly dumb move - numbers over healthy players - as Tom might not be as strong as James, but he is definitely stronger over an injured player.
    But the question remains... how can he be critical of a game play that he tried earlier in the game? He tried to remove Amanda, when there was weaker members of the tribe, like Cirie and Rupert, that he could have targetted. He can't cry foul now if he tried to weaken the tribe earlier by getting rid of Amanda.

It would seem to me that Tom made some critical mistakes in this game. He said he was not part of the "group" from day 2. However, he had Steph, and he easily picked up Colby. If he was aware they were a minority, why get rid of Sugar? Because Colby found her annoying? She was a vote they could have easily used, and with the "keep the tribe" strong argument, could have given it a go to get rid of Rupert when his toe was at it's worst.

Then, if he had targetted someone else besides Amanda, he again may have had a chance. And he admits he should have tried earlier with Candace and Cirie. I'm sure he and Steph will be sure to say how the other heroes destroyed them and it's all their fault when the time comes, however. lol

Regarding media hounds, there's not a bigger one than Rob, it's his third time around too, also remember his wedding on tv, then on the Amazing Race where he couldn't spell a country & lost, & then he tried out to host a game show even though he can barely speak, then he & Amber were in talks to create a reality show about them (boring). Total media hound! They need to pick new players for Allstars & no one from the same tribe, or anyone who's won before.

To the Point

Wouldn't matter if they were from the same season or not. The ones who have chosen to hang on to their thread of "celebrity" and try their best to parlay that into some kind of career or, at the very least, connections, all know each other. It would seem that a large majority of the younger crowd that have done this are somewhat connected outside the game.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3856016;
    But the question remains... how can he be critical of a game play that he tried earlier in the game? He tried to remove Amanda, when there was weaker members of the tribe, like Cirie and Rupert, that he could have targetted. He can't cry foul now if he tried to weaken the tribe earlier by getting rid of Amanda.
    Amanda is strong, but not as strong as other female tribe members. That said, she still is healthier than James is now, and if she were voted out over an injured James by Tom I'd feel the same way.

It would seem to me that Tom made some critical mistakes in this game. He said he was not part of the "group" from day 2. However, he had Steph, and he easily picked up Colby. If he was aware they were a minority, why get rid of Sugar? Because Colby found her annoying? She was a vote they could have easily used, and with the "keep the tribe" strong argument, could have given it a go to get rid of Rupert when his toe was at it's worst.
    Rupert is unfortunately seen as brute strength even over James (such as when he held that one contestant up by himself his first season - Think that went on for an hour alone). Given that Jeff said they were doing challenges from past seasons, they didn't want to risk that one being pulled and a weaker player having to hold up someone.

Sugar? - she was loyal to Bob her season; however, she also is a publicity hound as we know (or she would've voted out Bob, who would win over anyone left in the game, instead of leaving it to chance in the fire challenge and give him an advantage before tribal council). There was a good chance she'd still possibly go over to the other clique and it'd still be a stalemate. Would've liked her spunk more on their tribe over Amanda though, who really seems wimpy this season. I SO hope she's not final three/two a third time.

Then, if he had targetted someone else besides Amanda, he again may have had a chance. And he admits he should have tried earlier with Candace and Cirie. I'm sure he and Steph will be sure to say how the other heroes destroyed them and it's all their fault when the time comes, however. lol
    I think the heroes are cannibalizing themselves with their egos. The ones I really really liked are now gone - Tom, Sugar (Yes, I like her sass and spunk, even if I don't always agree with her), and the only one left I care about is Colby, who will be gone pretty soon.

Actually, I think the heroes voted out right now are the lucky ones - they don't get to make big asses of themselves and ruin their chances of the player of the year vote. If any hero has a chance this season, it'll be one of the earlier voted out ones. They're doing all they can to make sure that Rupert nor James win that honor by the editing, which is fine by me because I don't think they should win it again after winning it at least once.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast