+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic "Survivor" Moments

I agree.
    That moment will go down in Survivor history.
    That was a one off, they can never pull that stunt again.
    It worked like a charm.
    "That's Numberwang!"

SuperJude™
    Survivor 1, in my opinion, had the best moments of any Survivor since. The people for the most part (discounting the final 4 players) seemed to forget they were playing a game, and that led to so many great moments.

The looks of shock when Gretchen gets whacked, a great bit of strategy in eliminating a real contender.

Watching the annoying and arrogant Greg figure out that yes, you are really going to lose to an overwieght, 40 something gay man. That was awesome, his last 2 weeks on that island.

There are, however, 2 moments that spoke the most about the show, the peoples standing with eachother, and the outcome.

First, was the challenge for the night on the boat, which Sean wins. Now he had promised to take somebody else with him (I forget who, one of the girls) and instead he picks Richard. If this were any other season than season 1, Richard would have been gone soon after. But it wasn't, so the alliance held up and in that moment we got to see who was really in charge, and who was really going to win. Plus, watching sean kiss ass to Richards while Richard was busy trying to stuff himself was awesome. A scene like that will never happen again without one or both of the people being next to go.

The second was really when Richard took his hand off that post in the IC. I saw that when it first aired and though that he either made a really bad decision, or that he was going to win the game. In one move, he showed that he thought he could win even without the Immunity Idol, figuring correctly that if Rudy won, he would not vote against his ally, and if the girl (Kelly?) won, she would vote off Rudy knowing she stood no chance against him, not after all the backstabbing she had done.

I know, not the most dramatic moments, but the ones that when I look back dictated how the entire series would run.

If Richard doesn't win, we have a different type of series. Who knows? Maybe if Gretchen or Rudy wins, the show turns into something else. But Richrad won, garunteeing that at some point, the show would have all the backstabbing and annoying people that it has had. Which has kept me watching.

My contender momnet is certainly watching Colby come back with those gifts while Jerry had nothing. Not only did she know that he had scored points, not only did she know he was not interested in her, but it had to hurt knowing that in a night away, he at no moment warned her that he was bringing something back, letting figure it out a little too late. Bye Bye Jerry!

-SJ™

LG.
    I agree that S1 had some of the very best moments. Two more:

Rudy lets his hand slip in the final immunity challenge and everyone nearly missed it, but not Kelly. That cost Rudy the $1 million as he would have beat Richard in the vote.

And . . . . Richard's sissy little dance after he won the immunity challenge by getting his fire lit first. OMG, that dance, it was Hilarious!!!!

Thanks for the memories Jude.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I can't be the only one who tried to replicate Richard's "Sissy Dance" at the office the next day, can I?

S1 was the best.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

LG.
    Actually I saw a website with a Richard Sissy Dance graphic, but I'm sure it's long gone by now Paulie. Now, trying to picture Paulie doing "the dance" and it's not really working.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

LG.
    OMG Paulie, that's the one. What a flake. Nice dance.

SuperJude™
    Ahh yes, the fire building challenge. The one time Richard showed his true geek inside of him. I know he was exited, but that was THE MOST horrid celebration ever. Ever.

I had forgotten about that, but when the re-aired the first season, I had 2 friends watch some eps with me and when they say that they refused to believe that Richard was going on to win. Oh man, thank you Richard for providing in Survivor that which makes it a great show: Real emotion.

I felt bad about Rudy slipping too. As much as Richard really desrved to win, I was rooting for Rudy (god that wounds horrid). But in retrospect, again, the show jsut wouldn't be as interesting if the "bad guy" hadn't won.

One thing about season 1 that always bugged me- the Greg and Colleen thing. For like 4 or 5 eps, they are sleeping together, and Greg look like the leader. They spen all their time together. Then we see those vid-clips of peoples families and Greg's "overly loving" mom, and then the "relationship" seems to really fizzle out big time.

No more mention of it in the series after that, and nobody ever really talks about it, but I found it really interesting. Greg looked like a shoe in for a couple weeks there and by the time of the merge he looked just lost. By then he and Colleen no longer sleep alone in the jungle together. Wonder what really happened?

I hated Jeff Probst a lot more in the first season too. Now, like the taste of licorice, he kind of grow on you.

Another one- Sean wins a night of food and drink with Jenna (correct name I hope) and we see the uncomfortable-ness of a guy with wine in his system trying to get some from a girl who isn't going to give him anything at all. Poor Sean. The guy is a doctor and he comes off looking like the biggest schmuck ever. I miss those naive days of season 1, I really do. Now it truly is about strategy.

One more time I postulate- what kind of series would it have been if one of the "nice" people had won? Or one of the pretty people?

Thank god, Mark Burnett and whoever else that Richard won. It mad everything worthwhile on that show and every one since, except Marquesas which I never saw.

-SJ™

The more I read these posts, the more I think Richard wanted Kelly to win and that move even calculated her win.

He kept going on after that Kelly wasn't going to move and blah, blah, blah.. probably trying to psyche out Rudy a bit.

He was good!

Another moment was in the S1 finale when Rich comes out shaved and about 1000lbs thinner. Everyone was like, "Who IS that guy?"
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

LG.
    Yeah, I remember Dr. Sean's night with Jenna, and I think Bastin Rahb had a better shot with Kathy during the merge meeting last season. Dr. Sean was a complete joke, Mr. Alphabetical Voting System. He lost me when he took Richard on the boat with him instead of Kelly, whom he's promised if he won.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast