+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

FORT Fanatic

Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Of course Russell won the viewer vote. He was shoved down their throats for two straight seasons. It was all Russell TV, all the time. And even with that he still only beat Rupert by 2000 votes. It wasn't like it was some major blowout like he tries to pretend in his interviews. In the end that doesn't matter, he won it. Just like in the end it doesn't matter, Sandra won the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3908156;

I'm sorry you feel that he's "wrecked" your favourite show two seasons in a row, but clearly most people disagree with you, as he won the Player of the Season (yes, that's what it's called) award twice in a row.

Not going to debate the reasons why people voted Russell "Player of the Season", but this part of your statement is patently wrong. There were 20 people up for the prize and Russell got more votes than any of the other 19. I guarantee you that he didn't get more than half of the overall votes, or even close to it, which would qualify as "most people". For all we know, had the vote been for "Worst Player of the Season", Russell would have won that title as well.
    Last edited by ironcat; 05-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3908904;
    Do me a favor? Go back now and actually read the post you responded to.

Nowhere in it did I say that Russell's prize for the the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME. I said he got the most votes. That can't be disputed.
    And no where did I say that he DIDN'T deserve to win - which is my bug with the whole post.

I've never disputed the fact he won it - only that people correlate it with supposedly him being the best winner, and you implied it if you didn't flat out say it.

I do like Russell's game play AND I think he's wildly entertaining. If a million people voted for Russell, they could have a million different reasons for their vote. We can't know what they are. It doesn't matter. Russell got the most votes and he won the prize.

There were several people this season that I would have liked to see win at final tribal council rather than Sandra, had they made it to F3 instead of the three that did. All for different reasons. It doesn't matter. Sandra got the most votes and she won the prize.

I'm not sure where all the passion and intense emotion comes from over a reality TV game show. But in the final analysis, it doesn't matter. They count the votes and the person with the most votes wins. It's pretty simple.
    This has been my issue all along - as I said in the post you quoted - too many people have decreed that since Russell won this POPULARITY contest, that he's supposedly the best player of the actual game. He hasn't been either season. Entertaining? - Yes, best player? - no.

In fact, had it been a final two with Parvati, the woman he feels is deserving of winning, and she won, he'd be throwing sour grapes and saying she didn't deserve it and this Sprint popularity contest is the true results.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3908970;
    ...too many people have decreed that since Russell won this POPULARITY contest, that he's supposedly the best player of the actual game.
    Exactly. Worse still, Russell has the sheer and utter cojones to suggest that the rules of the game be changed to become a popularity contest, because he knows darn well it's the only chance he has of ever actually winning. (And please don't tell me he was "joking"... he definitely wasn't. If he was, he wouldn't be carrying on the tirade post-show.)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3908964;
    Not going to debate the reasons why people voted Russell "Player of the Season", but this part of your statement is patently wrong. There were 20 people up for the prize and Russell got more votes than any of the other 19. I guarantee you that he didn't get more than half of the overall votes, or even close to it, which would qualify as "most people". For all we know, had the vote been for "Worst Player of the Season", Russell would have won that title as well.
    Excellent point. PS - How do we get CBS to start doing a Worst Player of the Season vote?

Oh, and for what it's worth, I wouldn't vote for Russell for "Worst Player" ("Most Annoying"? Yes. "Biggest Jerk"? Absolutely. "Most Likely to Witness His Own Head Explode Because of the Incredible Swelling of His Own Ego"? You bet. But I digress.) Russell's got 50% of an absolutely amazing strategy. Frankly, Colby deserved this title last season for his complete failure at challenges and generally do-nothing approach to playing the game. And that kills me, because I really like the guy!
    Last edited by CuckoosNest; 05-20-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3908878;
    Love how he always drags the Lebron James analogy into this mess. Basketball is a team sport. Lebron can't do it alone.Survivor it's his fault alone he lost. Only one Survivor.

He's talking about taking Parvati to the end? True enough, he saved her on her night to go home. Still, that was her being in the right alliance at the right time. In the end he cost her the game the minute he took out Danielle. She needed 3 truly hated players at the end. One person slips by that's half way likeable and they win. She was smart enough to know that-he wasn't.

I'm sick of the America thing with this guy. I, along with millions of others, don't bother to vote for that thing most years. A good portion of the population doesn't even vote in most local elections, you think they are going to vote for some tv show? Now if it were for him to become sole survivor I would have likely voted until I dropped to make sure I didn't have a Russell win on my hands. So would many other people. He would have likely lost to Parvati, but Sandra may have still won it.

He calls Sandra and Parvati vindictive in nature,but he pulled the sock burning diss on Jaison at the reunion. Yeah, they're vindictive and old Russ has the joy, joy, joy, joy down in his heart.
    There were many of the posts - some from ironcat, sweepea or jadewarlock - that I could have quoted. I agreed with them all.

But I loved your bringing out the point that Russell is equating his play on Survivor to that of Lebron James'. Thank you for pointing out that "Basketball is a team sport". Just like Lebron can't do it alone, neither could Russell have made it to the end without others "helping" him bob and weave his way to the F3. And, yes, a certain amount of luck was needed - despite what Russell says.

And Russell is beyond delusional if he can actually call ANYONE else vindictive and yet TRULY THINK that he is not a vindictive person himself. What about how Russell had to rub it into JT's face by bringing that letter to the Reunion show? Was that not being petty and vindictive?
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 05-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.

There is no doubt Russell had a LOT of luck going for him in both of his seasons, no question. As Tom Weston put it, 1/3 luck 1/3 social 1/3 physical, and that is about 100% right IMO.

Russell had SEVERAL critical junctions that involved good luck for him, and I can't remember them all, but one was the Parvati Idol, thing when Tyson screwed up that vote. No matter what Russell said to manipulate Tyson, there was still a HUGE amount of luck involved in that particular vote. He was LUCKY that the heroes THOUGHT that he was on the outs of an all girl alliance, at absolutely NO part of his, that was PURE luck, and for JT to make that HUGE leap of faith and give him an idol, another HUGE luck event for Russell. He was lucky coming into this season, with all the others not knowing who he was, a lot of luck there. Even though he did work at it, there was some luck involved in him finding idols without clues. He was just plain lucky on a lot of votes where others were targeted, when it could have easily been a Russell blindside instead, where he didn't even have an idol, or didn't play one thinking he was safe, which as it turned out he was right. There were several more from both seasons, drawing a blank on them at the moment.

But bottom line is if Russell doesn't recognize the fact that he got wildly lucky on a lot of occasions, he is even more dellusional than we all already know him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3908949;
    This season was full of overblown egos. I'm surprised the island didn't sink under the weight of them all.
    Oh, this just made me
    So, so true.

In hindsight, Russell turns "luck" into "strategy" - if he says it enough times it becomes true in his mind. Yes, he's delusional but he's also stubborn as all get out, and there is no need to wait around for self-reflection from this dude. He's convinced himself he's the best, he has convinced himself it was all his strategy, and he's convinced himself that he could not have played any better...he's not going to admit to any faults. Period.

It's come to the point where I don't read any of his interviews any more because they all say the same thing...blah blah blah I was voted the best by America...blah blah blah Sandra and Parvati suck...blah blah blah I'm the best player there ever was...blah blah blah bitter jury."

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3909039;
    Oh, this just made me
    So, so true.

In hindsight, Russell turns "luck" into "strategy" - if he says it enough times it becomes true in his mind. Yes, he's delusional but he's also stubborn as all get out, and there is no need to wait around for self-reflection from this dude. He's convinced himself he's the best, he has convinced himself it was all his strategy, and he's convinced himself that he could not have played any better...he's not going to admit to any faults. Period.

It's come to the point where I don't read any of his interviews any more because they all say the same thing...blah blah blah I was voted the best by America...blah blah blah Sandra and Parvati suck...blah blah blah I'm the best player there ever was...blah blah blah bitter jury."
    For Russell to admit that he has any faults at all would in essence make him look weak in his own mind. He has used the phrase "weak-minded" many times when referring to others. To admit that one has any faults, they first have to see them.

And you are SO correct in saying that there is no need to wait around for Russell to do any reflection. Not going to happen.

[QUOTE]
    The fact that self-centered, mean-spirited, lie-telling, boastful, arrogant Russell Hantz/[QUOTE]

So it's ok for people to call Russell names but when he does it during the context of a GAME it's not ok? Just trying to make sue i have this straight.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3908803;
    Oh, this is GREAT. Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

According to an interview with with Entertainment Daily, fans could buy a shirt (featuring Russell's ugly mug across the chest, of course) at russellgotscrewed.com and "75% would be donated to St. Jude's." In the interview (amazing! not part of the game of Survivor) Russell mentions this THREE TIMES and wants to make sure everyone understands how generous he is. Or fans can just donate $1 to St. Jude's through the website. Wow! How generous!
    Maybe that's because he wants people to buy a shirt and support a charity?

1. 75% of what? 75% of the price of the shirt? 75% of the profit? Remarkably, that fact is never made clear. Anywhere.
    It's very obviously 75% of the sale of the shirt. But anyway, who cares? The fact that he's donating any money at all is generous.

2. Let's play devil's advocate here... let's say it's 75% of the price of the shirt, that he sold a million of them and bunches of people made the $1 donation. None of it would be RUSSELL'S MONEY. Clever bait-and-switch. Oh, yeh... he says that running the website, which will make the donation, costs him an arm and a leg. He's still not donating a penny of his own money to St. Jude's.
    What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's his money, people bought something some from his website. So it's effectively his money before he donates 75% of it to the charity. And about people donating $1- he suggested tey do, and they did. It may not be his money in that case, but he instigated the transaction.

3. There's no proof that any donation was ever made.
    The same can be said for many charities.

If Russell wanted to really benefit St. Jude's, then why not just make a donation directly? Because then he'd have to actually dig into his so-called millionaire pockets. And with this plan, he'd end up with an army of people wearing his likeness, which is what he really wants in the first place.
    You're looking at this completely the wrong way. Russell wants people to buy a shirt, hat, whatever, supporting him. Then he donates a majority of the proceeds to charity. It's a way for him to promote himself and help others.

Such as?
    It can have different meanings to different people is what I was getting at.

+ Reply to Thread