+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3908677;

What I AM saying is that for anyone to say that he won this as being literally the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME is mistaken.

This prize is won for many reasons - likability or entertainment are other reasons, not just gameplay, which is what you and others are implying.

And, sorry guys... It IS considered the booby prize because... drum roll please....

It was started during the very first All-Stars season, filmed after "Pearl Islands" - Rupert's first season when he was seen as the pirate of said show (big, brash, sneaky in his own right by stealing the other tribe's regular shoes during the trade, but still endearing).

And, the results of that first all star season prize... Rupert won the prize.

Now .... we can all safely say that Rupert has never been seen as a great player of this game (his best finish has been fourth), but he is likable and entertaining from most viewpoints.

James won it twice - in China and then again in "F vs. Faves" - and he was Medically Evac'd second go round. He made jury both seasons he was on, and is known for having TWO hidden immunity idols.

So, in conclusion, you can win this prize for just being an entertainer and it have NOTHING to do with gameplay.

This is my beef with it and Russell fans - even if it says "Player of the Season," it does not mean ONLY gameplay.
    Thanks for summing that up VERY nicely. So Russell is, essentially at this point, on a par with James since they have now both won the "player of the season" award twice. Call it fan favourite, call it player of the game, call it whatever you like it's still the viewing audience deciding, based on the edited show that has been broadcast, who they want to see win the $100,000 NOT the jury who has played with or been played by that person voting for who they want to award the million to. So, James...the guy who was tossed for medical reasons and who was voted out with two HII's in his pocket and who was up for dumbest move by a Survivor has won the same audience-voted prize as Russell, but we're supposed to believe that Russell's prize means that the entire country sees him as the most worthy, smartest and best player of the season.

Uh huh.

The best part of this season is watching Russell getting NO votes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3908734;
    Thanks for summing that up VERY nicely. So Russell is, essentially at this point, on a par with James since they have now both won the "player of the season" award twice. Call it fan favourite, call it player of the game, call it whatever you like it's still the viewing audience deciding, based on the edited show that has been broadcast, who they want to see win the $100,000 NOT the jury who has played with or been played by that person voting for who they want to award the million to. So, James...the guy who was tossed for medical reasons and who was voted out with two HII's in his pocket and who was up for dumbest move by a Survivor has won the same audience-voted prize as Russell, but we're supposed to believe that Russell's prize means that the entire country sees him as the most worthy, smartest and best player of the season.

Uh huh.
    Exactly - and that's been my burr with the comments of said correlation.

Mind you - I do think as far as entertainment value (people love to hate him), Russell has been deserving of the prize as all the others who have won. But "game" wise, that really has no correlation to the prize given out.

Mind you - I have not seen every season this award has been given out or do not remember everyone who has won, but those I'm pretty sure who have won are Rupert, Ozzy, Bob, Russell twice, James twice. Out of those, only Bob was the winner of his season. Ozzy and Russell were runner-up, and James and Rupert had been on the Jury at least once.

And - Ozzy's fan favorite prize was the odd-ball one - it was a car, so Yul got the money, and Ozzy the car.

It's a nice prize, but I do think they need to call it what it is - fan favorite, because all of these people had been generally the fan favorite of the season (though in Yul's case, both he and Ozzy were top two vote getters).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3908720;
    How about donating a bunch of money to charity from that russellgotscrewed site?
    Oh, this is GREAT. Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

According to an interview with with Entertainment Daily, fans could buy a shirt (featuring Russell's ugly mug across the chest, of course) at russellgotscrewed.com and "75% would be donated to St. Jude's." In the interview (amazing! not part of the game of Survivor) Russell mentions this THREE TIMES and wants to make sure everyone understands how generous he is. Or fans can just donate $1 to St. Jude's through the website. Wow! How generous!

Uh-huh. Three problems here:

1. 75% of what? 75% of the price of the shirt? 75% of the profit? Remarkably, that fact is never made clear. Anywhere.

2. Let's play devil's advocate here... let's say it's 75% of the price of the shirt, that he sold a million of them and bunches of people made the $1 donation. None of it would be RUSSELL'S MONEY. Clever bait-and-switch. Oh, yeh... he says that running the website, which will make the donation, costs him an arm and a leg. He's still not donating a penny of his own money to St. Jude's.

3. There's no proof that any donation was ever made.

If Russell wanted to really benefit St. Jude's, then why not just make a donation directly? Because then he'd have to actually dig into his so-called millionaire pockets. And with this plan, he'd end up with an army of people wearing his likeness, which is what he really wants in the first place.

If you asked me, the whole thing stinks like yesterday's fish. Someone should really investigate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3908720;
    A cross has several meanings.
    Such as?
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

*SIGH* I feel like I'm Parvati in the middle of a Russell/Sandra reunion interview. No one is listening to me.
    I'm listening, Jadewarlock. You write an awesome, well-thought-out post... please keep up the great work!
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Survivor's Russell: I Am the Best

After his aggressive social game and knack for finding immunity idols without clues on Survivor: Samoa last year, Russell Hantz cemented his status as one of the biggest villains in Survivor history with his performance on Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains. Russell was a natural fit for the Villains team, but his aggressive tactics throughout Season 20 led to getting zero votes at the final Tribal Council. Hantz spoke with TVGuide.com about Parvati Shallow, Sandra Diaz-Twine and why the game of Survivor needs to be fixed.

TVGuide.com: Do you think you would have been voted out had you not gotten the last immunity necklace? What was going through your mind during that last challenge?

Russell Hantz: It's amazing how, when it comes down to it, I win it. When it comes down to the strategic play, I make it happen. When it comes down to the physical play, I make it happen. Even America sees it and they award me with the Player of the Season award two seasons in a row. I didn't even get one vote this year, so what can I do?

TVGuide.com: How does it feel to win the Sprint Player of the Season award two seasons in a row?
    Russell: It's amazing because it proved my point. ... I don't care how CBS tried to make her look. I played with her, she's terrible and at the end of the day she wins? I would have been OK with Parvati winning over me, but not Sandra. I give credit where credit is due. Even if Parvati had stabbed me in the back, I would have voted for her. But Sandra is not good and when somebody like Sandra wins the game two times, that's why I believe there is a flaw in the system. When somebody like that can win, something has to be fixed.

TVGuide.com: Why do you think you didn't get any votes from the jury?
    Russell: Everybody thought, this group of people has played it before so they'll vote for the best player. But no, it doesn't work like that. These people, each and every one of them, thought they were the best player out there, kind of like I do. When you put those people in their place, that's it, they don't want to vote for you any longer.

TVGuide.com: Why do you think the jury was OK with voting for two people who had already won?
    Russell: Trust me, I thought about that, and I wanted to bring Sandra and Parvati to the end because they did win before and I thought maybe, just maybe, that would help me a little bit more. ... I mean Sandra beat Parvati also. Parvati's game is well-rounded; she knows how to play the game. Sandra beat her because they voted against me and Parvati.

TVGuide.com: Some of the jury thought you could have been more apologetic in your final Tribal Council speech. How did you decide what to say to the jury and do you regret it now?
    Russell: I don't regret anything I did in the game. You see, they can't get it. It's not luck that I went all the way to the end twice. ... When you play as physical as me, you can make it to the end without luck. Now, when you don't, then you need a lot of luck on your side.

TVGuide.com: What did you think of Sandra burning your hat and Parvati calling you her "little pet" at the final Tribal Council?
    Russell: Because they're vindictive people in nature. When you're a bad person in nature, you're really a villain. It was kind of shocking to see. You know with Parvati, I am the one that got her further in that game. I am the one that did it all, not her. I did everything and she's calling me her pet? That's just her mind trying to deny that she had been taken control of by me.

TVGuide.com: When you came in second on Samoa, you were determined to get the title of Sole Survivor. Are you finally at peace with not winning the title?
    Russell: Trust me, 10 years from now, they're going to be saying that Russell Hantz is the best player to ever play the game and not win. Ever heard of a guy named LeBron James? They say he's the best player in basketball and he's never won a championship. Just because you haven't won doesn't mean you're not the best.
    Survivor's Russell Hantz: I Am the Best - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Love how he always drags the Lebron James analogy into this mess. Basketball is a team sport. Lebron can't do it alone.Survivor it's his fault alone he lost. Only one Survivor.

He's talking about taking Parvati to the end? True enough, he saved her on her night to go home. Still, that was her being in the right alliance at the right time. In the end he cost her the game the minute he took out Danielle. She needed 3 truly hated players at the end. One person slips by that's half way likeable and they win. She was smart enough to know that-he wasn't.

I'm sick of the America thing with this guy. I, along with millions of others, don't bother to vote for that thing most years. A good portion of the population doesn't even vote in most local elections, you think they are going to vote for some tv show? Now if it were for him to become sole survivor I would have likely voted until I dropped to make sure I didn't have a Russell win on my hands. So would many other people. He would have likely lost to Parvati, but Sandra may have still won it.

He calls Sandra and Parvati vindictive in nature,but he pulled the sock burning diss on Jaison at the reunion. Yeah, they're vindictive and old Russ has the joy, joy, joy, joy down in his heart.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 05-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

*SIGH* I feel like I'm Parvati in the middle of a Russell/Sandra reunion interview. No one is listening to me.

Alexxx, I'm not saying that he didn't deserve the win. He won the most votes and that's that.

What I AM saying is that for anyone to say that he won this as being literally the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME is mistaken.

This prize is won for many reasons - likability or entertainment are other reasons, not just gameplay, which is what you and others are implying.

And, sorry guys... It IS considered the booby prize because... drum roll please....

It was started during the very first All-Stars season, filmed after "Pearl Islands" - Rupert's first season when he was seen as the pirate of said show (big, brash, sneaky in his own right by stealing the other tribe's regular shoes during the trade, but still endearing).

And, the results of that first all star season prize... Rupert won the prize.

Now .... we can all safely say that Rupert has never been seen as a great player of this game (his best finish has been fourth), but he is likable and entertaining from most viewpoints.

James won it twice - in China and then again in "F vs. Faves" - and he was Medically Evac'd second go round. He made jury both seasons he was on, and is known for having TWO hidden immunity idols.

So, in conclusion, you can win this prize for just being an entertainer and it have NOTHING to do with gameplay.

This is my beef with it and Russell fans - even if it says "Player of the Season," it does not mean ONLY gameplay.
    Do me a favor? Go back now and actually read the post you responded to.

Nowhere in it did I say that Russell's prize for the the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME. I said he got the most votes. That can't be disputed.

I do like Russell's game play AND I think he's wildly entertaining. If a million people voted for Russell, they could have a million different reasons for their vote. We can't know what they are. It doesn't matter. Russell got the most votes and he won the prize.

There were several people this season that I would have liked to see win at final tribal council rather than Sandra, had they made it to F3 instead of the three that did. All for different reasons. It doesn't matter. Sandra got the most votes and she won the prize.

I'm not sure where all the passion and intense emotion comes from over a reality TV game show. But in the final analysis, it doesn't matter. They count the votes and the person with the most votes wins. It's pretty simple.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3908904;
    Nowhere in it did I say that Russell's prize for the the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME. I said he got the most votes. That can't be disputed.

I do like Russell's game play AND I think he's wildly entertaining. If a million people voted for Russell, they could have a million different reasons for their vote. We can't know what they are. It doesn't matter. Russell got the most votes and he won the prize.
    That's exactly right. The thing is that Russell has somehow morphed winning the prize into being proof he's the best player in the game.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3908929;
    That's exactly right. The thing is that Russell has somehow morphed winning the prize into being proof he's the best player in the game.
    LOL, that's Russell-hype. Believe it or don't. It doesn't matter.

I'm sure Sandra thinks that her win means she was the best player this season. There are those that would dispute that fact. It doesn't matter.

This season was full of overblown egos. I'm surprised the island didn't sink under the weight of them all.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

+ Reply to Thread