+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

FORT Regular

Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Erik Cardona on the Immunity Blog had an interesting observation about Russell. Basically he said that he's a nice guy when the cameras are off and that he has no illusions to being smart -- his problem is that he knows he isn't smart so when he sees players not doing what he's doing (ie. can't think as strategically as him) he thinks they're dumb. Then he gets condescending. It's a good read, I'd suggest it. Erik is starting to win back some of my interest after his wine pong fueled disaster at FTC. Wouldn't mind seeing him as a returning cast member (just not in S22 -- too soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3858414;
    Erik Cardona on the Immunity Blog had an interesting observation about Russell. Basically he said that he's a nice guy when the cameras are off...
    Unfortunately, the show isn't about when the cameras are off.

This actually makes me detest the guy even more... because if he's "pretending" to be something he's not while the cameras are rolling, then he's invalidating the entire premise of reality tv. Yeh, I know... is it really "reality"? Probably not... but when these "real" people start acting it kinda kills the concept.

Frankly, I don't believe he's a "nice guy" for a second. A nice guy would know how to be a gracious loser for one thing.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3860213;
    Unfortunately, the show isn't about when the cameras are off.

This actually makes me detest the guy even more... because if he's "pretending" to be something he's not while the cameras are rolling, then he's invalidating the entire premise of reality tv. Yeh, I know... is it really "reality"? Probably not... but when these "real" people start acting it kinda kills the concept.

Frankly, I don't believe he's a "nice guy" for a second. A nice guy would know how to be a gracious loser for one thing.
    YouTube - Russell hantz with his Daughter
    YouTube - Russell Hantz From survivor

Still don't think he's a nice guy?

I like the fact that he attacks the game, that he plays hard.
    I don't know that he always makes the best choices and do sometimes think he plays a little too hard, but I can't deny that I find his style entertaining.
    Both are legitimate strategies of course, but for my viewing pleasure I'd rather see someone take the game on than wait for the game to come to them.
    If you're going to play an under the radar stealth game then I like to see it done really well, as opposed to someone just voting with the crowd and getting further along by not doing anything to make themselves a target. I'm not referencing anyone in particular in that statement so there's no need for fans to flock to defend their favourites.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3860271;
    Well he damn well better be a nice guy with his own daughter!

I would like Russell a whole lot better if I didn't think he was doing everything just for show. I feel like he's just doing an act, and it takes away from the "impressiveness" of his game.

I feel like he thinks, "Hmm, what can I say in my confessionals today that will impress the viewers?"

I'd agree with MrSSS.

He's someone who's really wanting his 15 minutes and it's getting pretty tiring.

I'd enjoy him more if he weren't always playing to the cameras.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Here's the rub. Casting is looking for guys like him, Coach, Rob, Rupert. They don't want people, they want characters that will entertain people. We're only going to get more and more of this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3861863;
    Here's the rub. Casting is looking for guys like him, Coach, Rob, Rupert. They don't want people, they want characters that will entertain people. We're only going to get more and more of this in the future.
    Characters--great. But I like characters who aren't so, well, obvious in that they're totally conscious of the character they're playing. I prefer "natural" characters, players whose personalities stand out because that's just how they are. Russell, I'm not getting that feeling from him.

I hate Rupert, but originally, his character wasn't such an obvious act. In fact I don't think it was an act at all. Granted, now that his head is huge and the "fame" as gotten to him, I feel he's become conscious of his character and is thus putting in effort to come off as the jolly, grumbling bear who helps out around camp and inspires little children everywhere .

But to me nothing compares to the obviousness of Russell playing up to the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3861910;

I hate Rupert, but originally, his character wasn't such an obvious act. In fact I don't think it was an act at all. Granted, now that his head is huge and the "fame" as gotten to him, I feel he's become conscious of his character and is thus putting in effort to come off as the jolly, grumbling bear who helps out around camp and inspires little children everywhere .
    In Pearl Isles we got Rupert, now we get Rupert the "imagine and myth"--its a bit forced.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3860274;
    I like the fact that he attacks the game, that he plays hard.I don't know that he always makes the best choices and do sometimes think he plays a little too hard, but I can't deny that I find his style entertaining.
    Both are legitimate strategies of course, but for my viewing pleasure I'd rather see someone take the game on than wait for the game to come to them.If you're going to play an under the radar stealth game then I like to see it done really well, as opposed to someone just voting with the crowd and getting further along by not doing anything to make themselves a target. I'm not referencing anyone in particular in that statement so there's no need for fans to flock to defend their favourites.
    This is exactly why I enjoy (like) Russell too. He has an exciting style of play and that's why I'm watching the show.

Regarding comments about Russell playing to the camera - I don't mind that at all. It demonstrates that Russell understands that this is an entertainment show as well as a game of outwit, outplay, outlast. He's immersed himself in the whole experience. He wants to be entertaining and he wants to play a good game. He's embraced everything that is Survivor, except for perhaps the social aspect. Sadly, once again, he's not performing well in that respect it seems.

+ Reply to Thread