+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rupert Boneham: H vs V - Hero

Re: Rupert Boneham: H vs V - Hero

Probst, in his usual blog, reinforces the "there's a reason nobody usually takes Bone-brain seriously" theme...

Jeff Probst blogs 'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains' episode 10 | EW.com
    Well for once this season, Rupert was actually right. Not only about the game getting “crazy…” but also his gut about whom to trust.. Sandra or JT? He was spot on in choosing to believe Sandra. Then again, it was more of a lucky guess than anything else.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by emjoi;3874499;
    Confessionals, by everyone, seem very staged and rehearsed this season. I'm sure they always have been, but yeah, Rupert's especially seem that way. He's been in the Survivor World so long that he knows what he's supposed to say, and how it is supposed to sound. I can imagine him walking away from a Challenge and in his head he's scripting up a little angle to present to the cameramen.
    Actually, if the confessionals are being staged and scripted even a little bit, I think that is why Rupert is coming off stiff and rehearsed. He shoots from the hip and if asked to do it again, it wouldn't be natural and make him look and feel more uncomfortable.

I never understood the "crazy" Rupert love, especially from total strangers. but then I realized that people who watch reality shows, especially Survivor , think that they actually know the person. In one way they do, watching a person for 30 plus days, there isn't a lot that they can hide. But then again, with cameras running 24/7, an hour a week is a very small part of that time. I think more fans are aware of the "edits" than they were before. But I don't understand the Rupert hate, either, especially since he hasn't really done anything hateful, stupid yes, whinny yes, but hateful, nothing I can think of. So, go figure.
    And yes, this is just my opinion and yes, he is my cousin.
    Autism is a neurological disorder that impairs socialization and communication.Experts estimate that three to six children out of every 1,000 will have Autism spectrum disorder. Males are four times more likely to have ASD than females.* As of 2013, 1 in every 50 children is now affected by autism

FORT Regular

I'm watching Pearl Islands again and I can definitely say that he was a very sympathetic character in his first season. Looking back at it now, however, I can definitely see and understand a lot of the claims made about him and his generally bad attitude. It was there but not as noticeable especially with people like Johnny Fairplay and the Outcasts around.

I think Rupert is popular because he appeals to a certain group of viewers- There are two camps of viewers watching this show- those who are into the game play which means they like contestants who use survivor `strategy' (which usually involves morally questionable behavior at best) and don't think of the show as anything other than a game-then there are viewers who see Survivor as a morality play and wish to see evil quashed-therefore someone like Rupert is liked by this second group not because of his brilliant game play(which would mean he would have to continually choose to do things not acceptable in the real world) but because he isn't morally bankruput like Russell. Someone `good' should triumph and be rewarded for being a good person (whether actually true or not) not the other way around when a viewer sees the show as a morality tale.
    Just my thoughts.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

I wonder if he lost group two after alligning with Russell last night? ^^

What was with the death glare too?
    He cuts a rather ridiculous figure, imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Rupert was awesome in his first 2 seasons. He was a hero because he DOMINATED challenges when looking at him, you wouldn't think he could. He was great in the water, and really did seem like blackbeard the pirate. Just a great "character" in that way. He was also very sympathetic because of being such a good guy and family man. Lots to like.

This season I think many have been disappointed in him. He did get hurt and couldn't perform, so that is probably why he couldn't dominate like before, that and he is older now. He was a little more arrogant and not as likeable this season, which it also appears that they have maybe purposely edited it like that. But all in all I still really like Rupert. Just not like before when he really seemed like a terrific player, larger than life, almost like someone you would have casted for a movie.

He has done some dumb things to explore the other side. His idea to dig into the beach to build a shelter on All Stars was extremely dumb. He's made several major strategic game mistakes in every season, but no one is perfect.

The death glare. I suppose that was meant to frighten somebody, but all I did was laugh my ass off. Big fat fail, Rupert. He came off as too cartoonish for me to really root for. And too many comments have come out of interviews that paint him as annoying for me to discount them all.

And for crying out loud, what was with the chain smoking as soon as he got to Ponderosa? Bleah.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

He's a text book "Marlboro Man"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3885023;
    I'm watching Pearl Islands again and I can definitely say that he was a very sympathetic character in his first season.

He was sympathetic, until he became kind of a bully. I was rooting for him until then. But once he and Sandra's group had taken control, Rupert started trying to physically intimidate some players, and I didn't like that at all. That was the kind of thing he said other kids had done to him when he was younger. I didn't like Sandra that season either, but now I do like her. She's smart and clearly knows how to play the game well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345