+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Samoa: Interview with Laura - "Show me being mean to her."

Re: Survivor Samoa: Interview with Laura - "Show me being mean to her."

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3770416;
    I think Survivor just tried really hard to create a villanous character out of nothing, hence why there is much debate behind Laura and how she really may be.

But even Laura post interviews and pondrosa clips have not shown her in any better light so I don't think it is anything Survivor did.

Quote Originally Posted by march;3771283;
    But even Laura post interviews and pondrosa clips have not shown her in any better light so I don't think it is anything Survivor did.
    I think it depends on whether you liked her or disliked her before the interviews and Ponderosa clips because I totally disagree with that statement. People never fail to write the following statement, "I like Him/Her even less after that interview". There may be 1 or 2 exceptions, but I always see that response.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3771110;
    Shambles is an idiot. All over the world younger women exclude older women as a matter of course, and older women know this from experience having been younger women at one time. However, most of them have the wisdom to just deal with it. The best way to be included is to not be a whiny, self-pitying martyr, but to be pleasant, fun and outwardly focused instead (it is possible to be these things, even if you're old). I'm older than Shambles and work with groups of recent University grads, and they think that I'm delightful. Why? Because, again, no whining, no-self-pity, no martyrdom.
    I can totally understand your guys' reasoning for disliking Laura, but I have to agree with Rattus here. Maybe because I'm not a woman that I won't understand this, but I don't think Shambo was just excluded for being older. Aren't Laura and Shambo around the same age anyway?

I think it has a LOT to do with personality and how well one can adapt to the Survivor environment, and I just don't think Shambo adapted very well with Galu. Older women have adapted in Survivor pretty well before, and the reason for early castoffs of the older usually had to do with physical strength in challenges, not personality or "just for being old". It was shown in the very beginning of the season how Shambo alienated herself from her tribe when she was invited to spend time with them. In Survivor I feel you have to obtain a good social standing FAST in order to be well off, and it didn't happen with Shambo because of what I saw as whining and self-pity.

As for Laura, like Tigerusty has said, it's usually true that our opinions of a contestant will probably stay the same after a post-show interview or Ponderosa clips. My opinions of Laura didn't go down at all after her time on Survivor. She shouldn't be apologetic for behavior that she doesn't feel she demonstrated. To me, the Shambo vs. Laura thing was very hard to follow anyway, as all we saw were little snippets here and there just enough to tell viewers that there was tension between those two. To me that shows that heavy editing was involved.

I've had friends tell me that my dead loved ones are "in a better place" and the way "God intended" for things to be; I roll my eyes but I know they are just trying to offer whatever sentiment they have. I just don't believe Laura was trying to be mean to Shambo with that comment--she may have not been feeling the sentiment Shambo felt she deserved, but I can't blame her considering Shambo's past behavior towards her AND the reasoning behind her crying.

But anyway, it's interesting how viewers can look at a person or situation on the show completely differently. It makes it fun to post here . Every season I am surprised by who I "accidently" end up defending.

Maybe this is too simplistic, but I think it boils down to the audience needing a villain, so Laura is it. RH?...he’s done some very villainous things, but everyone is so ga-ga over his gameplay that a villain he is not. Shambo?...just off center, a bit. Not really a villain. The remaining four?...none even come close. Ben?...gone long ago. Irrelevant. So it’s Laura. Sure, she’s not a Saint (yet, haha), but I don’t think she’s as bad as she’s being painted.
    This is probably a big surprise to CBS. Dollars to doughnuts says they probably expected the hate to be directed toward RH, gameplay or not. If RH is cast in the upcoming Season 20, it’ll be interesting to see which tribe he’s in. Villains or Heroes? If the former, I can hear the cries now….”But wait!!! Russell is a hero!!!”
    On another note, re: Laura and Kelly badgering John at Ponderosa. Maybe I should watch the clips again, but I thought it was the other way around. That John was the one that kept beating it to death and it was Laura and Kelly (in particular, Kelly) who wanted him to just shut the F up so they could all chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3771381;
    On another note, re: Laura and Kelly badgering John at Ponderosa. Maybe I should watch the clips again, but I thought it was the other way around. That John was the one that kept beating it to death and it was Laura and Kelly (in particular, Kelly) who wanted him to just shut the F up so they could all chill.
    Nope. Watch them again. John clearly says that he just wanted to kick back and relax, but the other two kept pestering him.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3770366;
    It was just a little more interesting than the office secretary.
    Umm, okay. thanks.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3771381;
    They both acted that way with Erik. They said, "Game Over Give it a Rest". When John got there, they changed their tune. It was all about Laura then. As I've said before, Laura liked to pick and choose when it was "Game Over".

One thing I like about reunion shows and where are they now specials is that some contestants do get up and say, wow , I never knew I came across that way until I saw myself on TV. The prime ones I can think of are Stephan from season 1 of Top Chef and Vicky from Season 7 (I think) of Biggest Loser, who had the best advice ever "to shut up ". I like how there are sincere and some not so sincere apologies. I wonder if we will see any of that on the Survivor reunion show especially with many from Galu berating Shambo as crazy and a nutjob or wingnut. I would like to hear her side.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reactions to Laura are based on "ministering", "won't lead men", and "the dead are better off". (paraphrased)

I expect anyone going into the ministry to have a soft spot for those in need.

I expect women to hang with me in 2010 and not 1910 ;-) (Yes, I'm female.)

I expect someone who says that she's going to minister to women to actually, you know, minister to women. Even women she doesn't like.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, just read elsewhere here that Shambo says that Laura gave up her quonset hut with bathroom so that Shambo wouldn't have to sleep in a tent on the ground...that is by far the nicest and most "Christian" thing I've seen Laura do...so nice that it's making me rethink a bit. On the other hand we saw the interchange with the better off dead line, and in no way did it remind me of the way people say it when they are trying to offer you comfort from their religious perspective for your loss... as in, they are in heaven now and happy. Just extremely flat affect, and no editing can create that. So...now I've got mixed feelings... At any rate clearly Laura wasn't good at making an outsider like Shambo feel includied....something that she should be able to do in her ministry.
    Of course the idea that women can't minister to men means Laura and I aren't on the same planet to start with, so I know I'm biased against her from the start... On the 3rd or 4th hand now though, I actually like Nat and Brett despite the ridiculous Christian warrior concept... really, if there's a god, would s/he be worrying about Survivor? Well, rambling....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast