+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Samoa: Interview with Laura - "Show me being mean to her."

Re: Survivor Samoa: Interview with Laura - "Show me being mean to her."

Quote Originally Posted by cbs bio
    Laura Morett is a 39-year-old Hawaiian mother, wife of 21 years and also a grandmother. Her beauty is complimented by the fact that one of her occupations is fitness instructor, which helps her stay in shape and gives her the energy to keep up with her three kids and two-year-old grandchild.
    It was just a little more interesting than the office secretary.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3769886;
    In the last 2 places I worked there were cliques. They may have not been out right mean but boy you got the message that you were not included.

Also people's social radar is very good you can pick up within a day when you join a new group who is in what clique or if there is a clique, who hangs out with who. Can you imagine being on a desert island with 10 other people and you are excluded? Yeah, you get bitter and resentful if you are the outsider. I don't blame Shambo one bit for feeling that way.
    I know what you mean, and you're absolutely right. It's a completely natural thing for cliques to form - although I believe it's usually unintentional. I guess I'm surprised that Shambo seemed to care so much because she strikes me as the type that in the real world would never let it get to her. Must be the trapped on a desert island thing...

Quote Originally Posted by NWTim;3770374;
    I guess I'm surprised that Shambo seemed to care so much because she strikes me as the type that in the real world would never let it get to her.
    She mentioned at one point that while she was in the marines she was used to folks working as a team. I think the structure and hierarchy of military service was very important to her and made it more difficult to deal with being the odd person on the fringe at Galu.

I don't think anyone will change each others' opinions on a contestant (in this case, Laura) . It's not that I like her, it's just that I don't see what the problem is and in this case I just see Shambo as the one bringing things onto herself. I don't consider myself a mean or rude person and I don't like excluding people, but there has to be a reason Shambo is not liked much by Galu and I think she just has something against the younger women (she didn't really have a problem with any of the guys except for Dave).

Laura's comment on Shambo's siblings being "better off"--we all know what she meant by that--that they were in a better place and no longer suffering. Poor choice of words perhaps for some, but I hardly see that as Laura being mean. IMO Shambo was fishing for attention there.

In terms of mannerisms and body language, I think yeah, Shambo may have gotten vibes of being exluded from the Galu tribe, but why? I don't see it as Galu just being "mean". It's because Shambo has put herself into an isolated situation and if and when she is invited to be included in the tribe's activities, she turns them down and then complains about it. Of course the tribe won't want to hang around her all the time after that, but I stillhave yet to see any of them being rude to Shambo outright. In the confessionals, it is Shambo who has the angry confessionals spewing vile words about her fellow tribe mates with such passion.

I think Laura contained herself very well in the Laura vs Shambo showdown. Laura may not have been as empathetic as we'd like to see her as (and remember, editing is involved in this show, folks), but let's try and remember why she may have been that way to Shambo--and she still never outright trashtalked Shambo or was mean to her.

I guarantee you if Laura won Survivor and Shambo was an early boot, the edits would be different and Survivor would exploit more negatives of Shambo and try to paint Laura as less than a "villain" and more of a protganonist (sp?) of the show.

I think Survivor just tried really hard to create a villanous character out of nothing, hence why there is much debate behind Laura and how she really may be.

I'm really curious to see the Pondorosa clips when/if Shambo is voted off.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3770416;
    I don't think anyone will change each others' opinions on a contestant (in this case, Laura) . It's not that I like her, it's just that I don't see what the problem is and in this case I just see Shambo as the one bringing things onto herself. I don't consider myself a mean or rude person and I don't like excluding people, but there has to be a reason Shambo is not liked much by Galu and I think she just has something against the younger women
    Usually it is the younger women excluding the older women. Survivor: Amazon is a prime example.

Laura's comment on Shambo's siblings being "better off"--we all know what she meant by that--that they were in a better place and no longer suffering. Poor choice of words perhaps for some, but I hardly see that as Laura being mean. IMO Shambo was fishing for attention there.
    I do agree the term "better off" is horrible and Laura should not have used it. Believe me later on you will be thinking in your head what the heck was that person trying to say. The best thing to do when someone is talking about a departed loved one is to just listen to the story and maybe ask a few questions. Having some listen is the most important thing and the most appreciated.

I just don't see Shambo fishing for any kind of attention here, she was just remenishing.

In terms of mannerisms and body language, I think yeah, Shambo may have gotten vibes of being exluded from the Galu tribe, but why?
    See above, younger women excluding the older woman.

In the confessionals, it is Shambo who has the angry confessionals spewing vile words about her fellow tribe mates with such passion.
    Of course Shambo is spewing she is feeling left out and isolated because the younger women are excluding her. Of course the others are not spewing because they are being included.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3771094;
    Of course Shambo is spewing she is feeling left out and isolated because the younger women are excluding her. Of course the others are not spewing because they are being included.
    Shambles is an idiot. All over the world younger women exclude older women as a matter of course, and older women know this from experience having been younger women at one time. However, most of them have the wisdom to just deal with it. The best way to be included is to not be a whiny, self-pitying martyr, but to be pleasant, fun and outwardly focused instead (it is possible to be these things, even if you're old). I'm older than Shambles and work with groups of recent University grads, and they think that I'm delightful. Why? Because, again, no whining, no-self-pity, no martyrdom.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3771110;
    Shambles is an idiot. All over the world younger women exclude older women as a matter of course, and older women know this from experience having been younger women at one time. However, most of them have the wisdom to just deal with it. The best way to be included is to not be a whiny, self-pitying martyr, but to be pleasant, fun and outwardly focused instead (it is possible to be these things, even if you're old). I'm older than Shambles and work with groups of recent University grads, and they think that I'm delightful. Why? Because, again, no whining, no-self-pity, no martyrdom.
    Please give examples of Shambo being a martyr, and the other stuff. Because if you are talking about her confessionals, then so what, that is a confessional and not how she acted within the tribe.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

To the Point

We also aren't on a show that isolates a group of folks as part of a game with intense conditions. I would hope that I would never be affected as Shambo was, however, I will not be so quick to condemn her for her feelings (words/actions somewhat but feelings, no). I think it'd be very difficult to find yourself in a situation such as this and it be so incredibly clear that, regardless of words to the contrary, that she truly was not welcome to be a part of the group.

FORT Fan

I don't think the issue of whether we like Shambo or think her behavior was warranted has anything to do with the issue of whether or not Laura was mean.

First of all, I've never heard anyone say that dead relatives were "better off". "In a better place", perhaps. But "better off", especially when you take into account Laura's tone of voice and bored attitude when she said it, is unbelievably rude, imo.

Second, when she told Shambo that "if you're upset, it's on you" or something to that affect - that's mean. No matter how bad Shambo might be, it's mean. If you have children or grandchildren, would you tell them to say that to someone? Or approve if they did? My kids would be in their rooms thinking about their lack of caring if they did that. The first thing a NICE person does if someone says they feel left out or upset (even if they don't like the person) is acknowledge the other person's feelings and tell them they are sorry that they feel that way.

Third, I have trouble viewing the Ponderosa clips on my computer, but I managed to see enough to know that Laura acted like a real ass to John once he got voted off. It's a game, John acknowledges that he made what he believed to be the best move for himself. Period. Obviously it didn't work that well, so gloat a little if you want, but then get over it. The way she and Kelly continue to badger him on that issue is ridiculous (and he didn't do anything to Kelly, so she's as bad as Laura or worse).

Those three things are enough for me to feel that Laura is not a very nice person and most CERTAINLY not cut out for ministry of any kind. No matter how big a loser Shambo might be.

ETA: And I could be convinced that Laura's behavior was only because of the conditions, and I'd be willing to excuse that, IF she had said in her interview that she wasn't proud of her behavior when she saw the show. Instead she had an in-your-face "prove it" attitude that only confirmed the opinions I formed from watching her on the show and at Ponderosa.
    Last edited by sjjmom; 12-17-2009 at 01:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast